This discussion is archived
10 Replies Latest reply: Apr 3, 2012 6:25 PM by 928361 RSS

Install Oracle 32-bit 11g Client on windows 7.

830792 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hello Gurus,

Problem: I required oracle 32-bit client(drivers) to communicate with oracle.my application support only 32-bit drivers to connect oracle.

I need to Install Oracle 32-bit 11g Client on windows 7. I have Oracle 64-bit 11g database installed on same system...!! Help me on steps to install

Is there any way to make oracle 64-bit in-built client to work for 32-bit drivers..?

Thanks in advance.

Oracle: 11g - 64bit

Regards, Senthil G

Edited by: user10645314 on Jan 12, 2011 7:50 PM
  • 1. Re: Install Oracle 32-bit 11g Client on windows 7.
    Lubiez Jean-Valentin Guru
    Hello,

Is there any error message if you install Oracle 11.2 - 32 Bit Client ?

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/enterprise-edition/downloads/112010-win32soft-098987.html

http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/E11882_01/install.112/e16785/toc.htm#BABEHGHH

With a 32 bit Client you can connect to a 64 bit Database Server.

Hope this help.
    Best regards,
    Jean-Valentin
  • 2. Re: Install Oracle 32-bit 11g Client on windows 7.
    830792 Newbie
    Thanks Jean-Valentin..

I need to use oracle client as 32bit which comes with oracle 64bit server.

Problem: Oracle 64-bit server installed in windows 7, My application supports only 32-bit oracle connection which is also installed in same PC where oracle 64-bit server exists. i want to connect oracle server with 32-bit connection.

i dont want to install oracle 32-bit client on same pc where database 64-bit server installed.

Thanks

Regards, Senthil G
  • 3. Re: Install Oracle 32-bit 11g Client on windows 7.
    830792 Newbie
    i have resolved the issue by removing cygwin\bin entry from the PATH Variable.

Oracle lib supports both 64 and 32 connections.!!

Regards, Senthil G
  • 4. Re: Install Oracle 32-bit 11g Client on windows 7.
    rug Newbie
    We have a requirement for our 32 bit application to connect to a 64 bit Oracle database on Windows 7 as a standalone environement.

The workstation has:
    32 bit oracle 11.2.0.1 client
    64 bit oracle 11.2.0.1 database
    Windows 7 OS

The 32 bit oracle client is installed on a different Oracle home from the 64 bit database.

The oracle_home is set to the 32 bit client home directory. the Path has the 32 bit client home\bin directory prior to the 64 bit database home\bin directory. The sqlnet.ora file and tnsnames.ora file (points to the 64 bit database) are both in the 32 bit client's network\admin directory.

I could connect to the database via SQLPLUS.

Problem:
    When the workstation rebooted, the listener was not able to start as it pointed to the listener executable in the 64 bit database home\bin directory. Since the 64 bit path environment variable is set after the 32 bit client path, it did not see the executable in the 32 bit client bin diractory. I copied the listener.ora file from the 64 bit database to the 32 bit directory, but it did not work.

Any idea what I can do to fix this issue? Thanks.
  • 5. Re: Install Oracle 32-bit 11g Client on windows 7.
    789471 Newbie
    How did you resolve your issue?
  • 6. Re: Install Oracle 32-bit 11g Client on windows 7.
    EdStevens Guru
    user3536449 wrote:
    We have a requirement for our 32 bit application to connect to a 64 bit Oracle database on Windows 7 as a standalone environement.

The workstation has:
    32 bit oracle 11.2.0.1 client
    64 bit oracle 11.2.0.1 database
    Windows 7 OS

The 32 bit oracle client is installed on a different Oracle home from the 64 bit database.

The oracle_home is set to the 32 bit client home directory. the Path has the 32 bit client home\bin directory prior to the 64 bit database home\bin directory. The sqlnet.ora file and tnsnames.ora file (points to the 64 bit database) are both in the 32 bit client's network\admin directory.

I could connect to the database via SQLPLUS.

Problem:
    When the workstation rebooted, the listener was not able to start as it pointed to the listener executable in the 64 bit database home\bin directory. Since the 64 bit path environment variable is set after the 32 bit client path, it did not see the executable in the 32 bit client bin diractory. I copied the listener.ora file from the 64 bit database to the 32 bit directory, but it did not work.

Any idea what I can do to fix this issue? Thanks.
    There is not listener in the client directories, because the listener is a server-side only issue. The listener sits on the server to listen for connection requests from client processes. Having a listener on a client makes as much sense as a water pump on a '65 Volkswagen

What does Windows services applet say about the status of the listener service? What happens if you try to start that service? If the service is started, what happens from a command prompt if you issue 'lsnrctl start'?

You haven't said what 'edition' of Windows 7. Be aware that NO oracle software is certified on ANY "home" edition of ANY version of Windows.
  • 7. Re: Install Oracle 32-bit 11g Client on windows 7.
    rug Newbie
    I have resolved the issue. Thanks.
  • 8. Re: Install Oracle 32-bit 11g Client on windows 7.
    852318 Newbie
    What was the resolution?
  • 9. Re: Install Oracle 32-bit 11g Client on windows 7.
    rug Newbie
    I installed Oracle 64-bit database and 32-client on the same Oracle Base directory, but separate Oracle home for its individual software directory. I copied the tnsname.ora file from 64-bit directory to the 32-bit client directory. You may want to remove any extra entries that you don't need in the tnsname.ora file in the 32-bit directory to avoid confusion.
  • 10. Re: Install Oracle 32-bit 11g Client on windows 7.
    928361 Newbie
    todo exelente

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points