This discussion is archived
10 Replies Latest reply: Jan 25, 2011 10:36 AM by 831273 RSS

SunFire V240 Server Question

831273 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Greetings:

I am not sure this post belongs in this topic, however, I did not see a Sparc III discussion area ;-)

Recently, I purchased a SunFire V240 server and I am currently reading the Installl Manual and plan to put Solaris 9 on it. I was reading that the way to connect to it is via a TIP connection (which I am not familiar with) or a Serial Terminal. This is all well and good, but this is actually my first Sun server that I have ever built and so I have questions that I am sure squarely put me in the "Noob" category... even though I have been doing admin of Linux for over 10 years (and FreeBSD) and occasionally AIX and Solaris (back in 2000).

SO the question is: What is the best way to accomplish a serial connection from a modern iMac to the SunFire Server? I presume I will be needing a USB to Serial adapter that supports RS232. But can I do a null modem connection to get the job done? Does someone have some experience doing this?

I appreciate any help in this.

Thank-you

Mike Needham, UNIX Admin, Lawrence, Kansas
  • 1. Re: SunFire V240 Server Question
    user219191 Newbie
    Sun Server discussion boards are here: Servers General Discussion
  • 2. Re: SunFire V240 Server Question
    831273 Newbie
    Thank-you for directing me to the proper place :-)
  • 3. Re: SunFire V240 Server Question
    gleng Expert
    Mike,

"SO the question is: What is the best way to accomplish a serial connection from a modern iMac to the SunFire Server? I presume I will be needing a USB to Serial adapter that supports RS232. But can I do a null modem connection to get the job done?"

I have not needed to do this but I believe you are correct.

You can configure the "ALOM" and use the Net Mng connector (just to the left of the serial connector) and telnet. Of course you need the network settings for that, so unless your source provided those details, I think you're stuck with the serial port to get started.

have a good day,
    GlenG
  • 4. Re: SunFire V240 Server Question
    831273 Newbie
    I still need information on how to get the serial connection going.
  • 5. Re: SunFire V240 Server Question
    abrante Pro
    You can try c-kermit:

Http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/ck80.html

.7/M.
  • 6. Re: SunFire V240 Server Question
    831273 Newbie
    Hi Guys:

Yes it looks like I am going to need to hook to the Serial Mgmt port on the box. So, the question really is as follows:

Computer A -- A new iMac 27" (going to use SecureCRT as the terminal I think)
    Computer B -- The Sunfire V240 box

Computer A will have a RS232 to USB adapter hooked to it.

Steps I am thinking I need to make are:

1. Connect my Cisco serial management cable (1 end DB9 the other RJ 45) to Computer B (Serial Mgmt port)
    2. Connect the DB9 to the adapter on Computer A

The question is: Do I need a null modem adapter in between there?

Thanks,

Mike
  • 7. Re: SunFire V240 Server Question
    rukbat Guru Moderator
    Yes, Mike, you will need the cable to be a null modem variety.

Such a cable lets your signalling to produce a rollover result.
    "Send" from system A goes to "Receive" on system B, and "Send" from system B goes back to "Receive" on system A. Without the null cable you end up with straight-through wiring and the "Send" and "Receive" signals collide with their counterparts on the other system.

At an idle moment, you could crawl Google for `null modem` and view numerous descriptions and wiring diagrams, should you want a more descriptive answer.
  • 8. Re: SunFire V240 Server Question
    831273 Newbie
    Just for clarification: Are the blue Cisco serial management cables (these come with Cisco Routers for Serial Management) already "null modem" cables?

I hope this makes my question crystal clear. I already have a null modem adapter, but it is 25 pin, though I think I can just gender change it to go in between two 9 pin connectors.

Thanks.
  • 9. Re: SunFire V240 Server Question
    rukbat Guru Moderator
    iainnitro wrote:
    Just for clarification: Are the blue Cisco serial management cables (these come with Cisco Routers for Serial Management) already "null modem" cables?

I hope this makes my question crystal clear. I already have a null modem adapter, but it is 25 pin, though I think I can just gender change it to go in between two 9 pin connectors.

Thanks.
    I can't answer that, other than to say you only need one nulling device in the connection. Additional ones will roll the signal back to a straight-through path.

In the past, I've only had occasion to use generic adapters and cables, as whatever the task might need. Perhaps others can comment on the Cisco items.
  • 10. Re: SunFire V240 Server Question
    831273 Newbie
    The question is now resolved.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points