This discussion is archived
10 Replies Latest reply: Jan 20, 2011 4:22 AM by 808981 RSS

Reasons why signed applets don't be displayed

808981 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi to all:

I have a HTML that shows (in code) a signed applet, but when I open the HTML in the browser, the applet is not displayed. The Java console also is not displayed.
The applet is in the correct directory and the signature is valid.

What reasons can make the applet does not displayed??

Dani
  • 1. Re: Reasons why signed applets don't be displayed
    sabre150 Expert
    Bring up the Java Console ( http://www.java.com/en/download/help/javaconsole.xml) and see what it says about the Applet when you try to run it.
  • 2. Re: Reasons why signed applets don't be displayed
    808981 Newbie
    When the browser tries to run the applet, the Java console appears and dissapears and the applet is not loaded.
    The area where the applet should be shown in appears in black, but the applet is not loaded in.

Dani
  • 3. Re: Reasons why signed applets don't be displayed
    sabre150 Expert
    805978 wrote:
    When the browser tries to run the applet, the Java console appears and dissapears and the applet is not loaded.
    The area where the applet should be shown in appears in black, but the applet is not loaded in.
    So you don't even get a security screen? I might be able to give some help if you post the HTML that invokes the Applet and a listing of the jar file you have created -
    jar -tf your-jar-file.jar 
    but without this I have nothing to go on. I have no problems (other than the Applets being cached in the client for some stupid reason) creating and publishing Applets and signed Applets.

Are you able to run a simple "Hello World" unsigned Applet?
  • 4. Re: Reasons why signed applets don't be displayed
    808981 Newbie
    The applet works properly on its own and the HTML code that launches it is the following:

<applet code="PinApplet.class"
                   archive="PinApplet.jar"
                   height=150 width=1200>
                   Authentication Form is not supported by the browser
    </applet>
  • 5. Re: Reasons why signed applets don't be displayed
    sabre150 Expert
    There is nothing obviously wrong with your HTML but you have not published the jar listing!

Have you been able to create, deploy and access an unsigned "Hello World" Applet?
  • 6. Re: Reasons why signed applets don't be displayed
    808981 Newbie
    I got the HTML to show the applet only occasionally, but when I change some code, re-make the applet again and test the HTML and the applet isn't shown.
    I have a java.policy.applet in the same directory as the HTML and the signature is valid. The applet only uses JDK classes, not external classes, not user-defined classes

Dani
  • 7. Re: Reasons why signed applets don't be displayed
    sabre150 Expert
    Other than say that you should clear out the Applet cache each time you make a change to the Applet I can't help.

I just wonder why you won't answer my question and won't publish the directory listing of the jar file?

Bye
  • 8. Re: Reasons why signed applets don't be displayed
    808981 Newbie
    The directory listing of the jar file: PinApplet.jar

-- .classpath
    -- .project
    -- PinApplet.class
    -- PinApplet.java
    -- PinAppletModel.class
    -- PinAppletModel.java
    -- /META-INF
    · signer.DSA
    · signer.SF
    · MANIFEST.MF
    · REFACTORINGS.XML
  • 9. Re: Reasons why signed applets don't be displayed
    sabre150 Expert
    You seem to have some clutter in that jar file. Why do you need .classpath, .project and the java files included.

I'm not convinced the two signer files have valid names. I don't get these names in my signed jars so how did you create the signed jar file?

What utility did you use to obtain the listing of the jar file because it is not of the format I get when I use "jar -tf your-jar-file.jar".
  • 10. Re: Reasons why signed applets don't be displayed
    808981 Newbie
    This is result from the command you mentioned:
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    META-INF/MANIFEST.MF
    META-INF/DanielMerida-Barquero.SF
    META-INF/DanielMerida-Barquero.DSA
    META-INF/REFACTORINGS.XML
    PinAppletModel.class
    PinAppletModel.java
    PinApplet.class
    PinApplet.java
    .classpath
    .project

About .classpath y .project, they are included by Eclipse in the project, but I think I try to unselect them when I export the JAR.
    About the names of the files, I use this name in other projects and I don't have any problems with it.

Dani

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points