4 Replies Latest reply: Jan 23, 2011 3:50 PM by jschellSomeoneStoleMyAlias RSS

Expected Date  Calculation

Hi All,

Am facing one design issue, here my requirement.

Am developing a component which calculates expected date. Considering some days in a weeks as holiday always. Input to the component is an integer and some other object[from which I want to find which days in a week are non-working days, for example I want to convey Sunday & Saturday as non-working day].

Please suggest me how can I pass this message efficiently.

My thoughts are:
      1. Passing a List<Integer> which holds day numbers[sun-sat will ranges 1-7, like that]. If 2 & 5 are present then it means Tuesday & Fridays are non-working days.
      2. Passing a byte. [assuming first 7 bits represents days in week]

Thanks,
      GK
        • 1. Re: Expected Date  Calculation
          tschodt
          [url http://download.oracle.com/javase/6/docs/api/java/util/EnumSet.html]EnumSet maybe?
          • 2. Re: Expected Date  Calculation
            jschellSomeoneStoleMyAlias
            Joda-Time might help with this, but I haven't looked.

http://joda-time.sourceforge.net/
            Considering some days in a weeks as holiday always
            At least in the US one must consider that that would require a data driven calendar that specifies holidays. For example last year December 23 was a holiday for me because Christmas fell on a Saturday.
            • 3. Re: Expected Date  Calculation
              jduprez
              Hello,
              Considering you posted that in the "Design and Patterns" section, you are concerned with the flexibility of the design with regards to requirements.
              Like jschell, I suspect it's unlikely that the only days off in your scheduling are fixed-days-of-week (but now, I m' French, so I may be biased :o).

If you know that you have to support other kinds of day-off constraints, you could design an interface for objects that can tell (a method with a boolean result) whether a given day (specified as a full Date passed as an argument to the method) is off. That way, when you have to support one more "day-off" rule, you can just code a new implementation of the method.

Supporting several rules is a matter of asking each of such classes, and combine the results. For example:
              public class Scheduler {
                  List<DayOffRule> allRules;

public boolean canWeWorkThatDay(Date date) {
                      for (DayOffRule rule : allRules) {
                          if (rule.isDayOff(date)) {
                              return false;
                          }
                      }
                      return true;
                  }

... populate rules...
              }

public interface DayOffRule{
                  public boolean isdayOff(Date date);
              }

FixedDayOfWeekOffRule implements DayOffRule {
                  public FixedDayOfWeekOffRule(DayEnum singleDayOfWeek) {...}
                  public boolean isdayOff(Date date) {
                  }
              }

USCompensateChristmasDayOffRule implements DayOffRule {
              }
              • 4. Re: Expected Date  Calculation
                jschellSomeoneStoleMyAlias
                jduprez wrote:
                If you know that you have to support other kinds of day-off constraints, you could design an interface for objects that can tell (a method with a boolean result) whether a given day (specified as a full Date passed as an argument to the method) is off. That way, when you have to support one more "day-off" rule, you can just code a new implementation of the method.
                It depends on the business but at least some places will not be able to code rules. It requires that a real person marks a calendar somehow and then that is consumed by the application.