1 2 Previous Next 15 Replies Latest reply: Feb 1, 2011 4:24 AM by Duncan Casemore RSS

Retropay by element with basic salary problem?

Dear All

here are the steps i do.

1. I introduced and employee on 1 jan 2011 and gave him basic salary 2500 US.
      2. I run payroll for Jan 2009.
      3. In Feb i decided to change the amount of basic salary from US . 2500 to 3000 and want to apply the change from 15 Jan 2011. so started to setup retropay.
      4. I created an element for Basic_salary_Retro.
      5. I linked the element with employee to whom i require to give arrears.
      6.I linked the element Basic_salary_Retro to the original basic salary through the Recalculation Tab in the element description form with
      the following details:
      Retro Components:
      component : Standard -Reprocess
      Retropay Elements : Start of Time-End of Time - Basic_salary_Retro

7. I defined Assignment set including employee who is being given the arrears.
      8. I date tracked from Feb to 15-jan-2009 and change basic salary value from US . 2500 to 3000 in element entry form of that employee and saved the record.
      9. I run Retropay request with date parameters stared from 15-jan-2009 to 28-Feb-2011. and request run successfully.
      10- the retropay add new original basic salary instead of the Basic_salary_Retro
      11- I run the parroll for Feb-2011 there is 2 Basic_salary one take the full salary 3000 US and one take 500 US and this wrong because it should be 250 US.

what are the missing steps i should do to get the following results :
      Basic_salary 3000 US
      Basic_salary_Retro 250 US

Regards
        • 1. Re: Retropay by element with basic salary problem?
          Duncan Casemore
          This isn't so much of a retro problem as a proration problem. If you had increased the salary effective 15-Jan-2011 at the beginning of January (rather than retrospectively in February) did payroll correctly apportion the prorated increase? I expect the answer is 'no'.

I think you'll need to setup Proration by:

1. Setting the proration Group and Formula in the Proration tab on the element definition
          2. Accept the Prorate_Start and Prorate_End Inputs in the Fast Formula
          3. Prorate using whatever rules apply to you (eg, days in proration period * daily salary)
          4. Re-run your processes and verify that:
          4a) A normal run with a mid-period salary change is prorated
          4b) A back-dated mid-period salary change is retroed

For more detailed information on setting up proration, please see the Compensation and Benefits Management Guide (Part number E13508-0), currently available for download from here: http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/documentation/applications-167706.html
          • 2. Re: Retropay by element with basic salary problem?
            Duncan Casemore
            I forgot to mention, Proration uses Event Groups so you'll need to have the Dynamic Triggers enabled and the Functional Group setup before you can complete the above setup. The documentation link I sent has lots of information on that.
            • 3. Re: Retropay by element with basic salary problem?
              Duncan

thanks for your response but it seems that your solution correct the result (250 US) issue, what about Basic_Element_Retro is not appearing?

Regards
              • 4. Re: Retropay by element with basic salary problem?
                Duncan Casemore
                I don't understand what you're saying - please could you explain a little more? Thanks.
                • 5. Re: Retropay by element with basic salary problem?
                  I mean that i have 2 issues:
                  1- the result should be 250 US ( you suggest to use proration )
                  2- the element Basic_Salary_Retro is not appearing the original element is appearing twice (still no suggestion )

thanks
                  • 6. Re: Retropay by element with basic salary problem?
                    Duncan Casemore
                    Thanks for clarifying - I understand now.

Regarding 2, did you pass an Element Set when submitting Retropay By Element? If so, which element was in the set - the original or retro element?
                    • 7. Re: Retropay by element with basic salary problem?
                      Thanks for replying

Did you pass an Element Set when submitting Retropay By Element?

Yes i did

If so, which element was in the set - the original or retro element?

The original element
                      • 8. Re: Retropay by element with basic salary problem?
                        Duncan Casemore
                        Okay. Please try again using the Retro element in the set rather than the original element.
                        • 9. Re: Retropay by element with basic salary problem?
                          Hi Duncan thanks for your help

I try using the Retro element in the set rather than the original element but it doesn't bring any data , i setup proration and it work fine but when i run retropay by element
                          it works in very strange manner:
                          1- still make entry for the original element not the retro one even i attached the retro element to the original element
                          2- when i change the salary in the middle of the month it make entry for 3 original elements with different amount but after sum of there pay values they are correct
                          but i ask why they come like.
                          • 10. Re: Retropay by element with basic salary problem?
                            Duncan Casemore
                            1. Is your Retro element linked? Can you give the retro element to the employee manually through the Entries form? (this will verify that the employee is eligible for the element)
                            2. What are the three entries? What payroll does is it creates entries to reverse out the original pay and then creates new entries for the new pay. It doesn't work out the different and create one 'adjustment' entry.
                            • 11. Re: Retropay by element with basic salary problem?
                              1. Is your Retro element linked?
                              Yes
                              Can you give the retro element to the employee manually through the Entries form? (this will verify that the employee is eligible for the element)
                              Yes I can
                              2. What are the three entries? What payroll does is it creates entries to reverse out the original pay and then creates new entries for the new pay. It doesn't work out the different and create one 'adjustment' entry.
                              Yes if original was 3000 and in the middle of the month i give him 6000
                              it create 3 entries :
                              *1- amount :6000 pay value : 3000*
                              *2- amount : -3000 pay value : -3000*
                              *3- amount : 3000 pay value : 1500*

if make sum to these pay values you will get the correct result 1500 which is the difference in the middle of the month.

i think because of proration return 2 entries but the third one is amazing!!!

what do you think??
                              • 12. Re: Retropay by element with basic salary problem?
                                Duncan Casemore
                                The retro entries can be explained as follows:

1) 3000. This is the new prorated salary from mid-Jan to end of Jan @ rate of 6000.
                                2) -3000. This is backing out the original Jan salary at @ 3000 for whole month.
                                3) 1500. This is repaying the prorated salary from Jan to mid-Jan @ 3000.

Does that make sense?
                                • 13. Re: Retropay by element with basic salary problem?
                                  Duncan Casemore wrote:
                                  The retro entries can be explained as follows:

1) 3000. This is the new prorated salary from mid-Jan to end of Jan @ rate of 6000.
                                  2) -3000. This is backing out the original Jan salary at @ 3000 for whole month.
                                  3) 1500. This is repaying the prorated salary from Jan to mid-Jan @ 3000.

Does that make sense?
                                  Yes i got it , but what about the retro element is not appearing
                                  also could you please suggest how to make all of them in one result and one entry?

thanks for your help.
                                  • 14. Re: Retropay by element with basic salary problem?
                                    Duncan Casemore
                                    The element that needs to be in the Retro Set is the original element, not the Retro element. So long as you've set the 'Retropay Element' correctly against your salary element and that Retro element is linked (which it is) payroll should create entries against the retro element.

Can you verify what's set here:

* HRMS Manager > Total Compensation > Basic > Element Description > Query your Salary Element > Recalculation tab > Retropay > Retropay Element

And then also check it's the original element in your Retropay Element Set (I know I asked you to try the Retro element previously - reverse that) and that you're passing this Element Set to your Retropay By Element run.

There is no way of getting payroll to roll up the retro entries into one. Each entry relates back to its corresponding run result and payroll needs this level of detail to maintain integrity. Whilst it may confuse initially it's actually quite useful to have this level of detail. Without it, you would otherwise on occasion have no idea how it's reached the headline adjustments it has.
                                    1 2 Previous Next