5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 26, 2011 2:26 PM by WPaffhausen

can FDM be used for Dimension Loads in Hyperion Planning

user12145481
      Hello,

Can FDQM be used for planning applications (Dimension and data loads) inplace of EPMA and ODI ? I tried searching the forums but couldn't find the info, so I apologize if it has already been answered.

Thanks.
        • 1. Re: can FDM be used for Dimension Loads in Hyperion Planning
          TonyScalese
          FDM is a data management application. EPMA is a metadata management tool. ODI is an ETL tool.

FDM is generally used to load data to Hyperion applications. With the introduction of ERPi, FDM can also load metadata but it is not a tool where you would manage it.

I would suggest that you discuss your needs further with your sales rep or with a partner as there are many considerations of which combination of products to use.
          • 2. Re: can FDM be used for Dimension Loads in Hyperion Planning
            SH_INT
            Can FDM really load metadata? I don't think so. With ERPI you can extract metadata from the source systems but you still need to use either EPMA, ODI etc or the applications native metadata load utilities in order to load the metadata. FDM doesn't load metadata just data.
            • 3. Re: can FDM be used for Dimension Loads in Hyperion Planning
              WPaffhausen
              Hello,

FDM and ERPi are considered one product. They will soo be integrated into one product ... they just seem seperate now during the introduction phase.
              Yes it requires 'other' software... all of which is considered part of the EPM Suite. FDM requires 'adapters' to load data into HFM/Essbase/Enterprise/HSF .... but we don't draw a line in the sand for those.

ODI is required reguardless of any ERPi activity. The data extraction for the product ERPi relies on ODI ... as well as the metadata loading. Since Oracle already had this technology built ... ERPi didn't feel the need to re-invent the wheel ... but leverage current software/technologies to achieve its goal.

Thank you,
              • 4. Re: can FDM be used for Dimension Loads in Hyperion Planning
                user12145481
                Thanks everyone for giving me your feedback. Actually the reason why I asked this question is because:

we have 3 planning applications in v. 9.3.1 using BPMA (buggy) and my client doesn't wanna use EPMA once we upgrade them to v 11.1.2

client doesn't wanna buy ODI (Licencing cost)

Since client already has license for FDM (using with HFM right now), they wanted me to investigate if FDM could be used to load meta-data & data loads

so, can we say

1) FDM could be used to load meta-data along, but would need -> ERPi ??? and ODI ???
                2) FDM could be used to load data

Thanks
                • 5. Re: can FDM be used for Dimension Loads in Hyperion Planning
                  WPaffhausen
                  Hello,

Firstly I would suggest you or your client become educated in what is actually required to be purchased. I think you are providing false information about the licensing of ODI. As already mentioned ODI is REQUIRED+ for ERPi.

To answer your questions:
                  1) Yes. Metadata can be loaded via ERPi.
                  2) Yes. Data can be loaded via FDM or ERPi.

Thank you,