6 Replies Latest reply: Jan 26, 2011 1:48 PM by 818551 RSS

Java Mcro Edition and Cell Phone Applications

Hi all, I have made a web based application and I need to add a mobile application in it.

I use a little JME and made I simple application using it.
      I want to make a cell phone appl. which connects servlets and transfer data for both sided.
      Is JME supprots for all cell phones? or Which of cell phones brands?

For instance;
      if I make I JME application, can I use it an apple iphone or all of cell phones?
      Can You give me some information and the way I need to follow?

Thanks.
        • 1. Re: Java Mcro Edition and Cell Phone Applications
          Opal
          Generally J2ME is supported by all phones. As far as I know iphone doesn't support j2me but there are translators that enable translation of midlets to c++ and running them on iphones, on android devices situation is similar AFAIK.

You need to check every model apart (what exactly this model supports and which j2me profile).
          • 2. Re: Java Mcro Edition and Cell Phone Applications
            You mean, if I make a cell phone application using JME, I have to try it with all model, brand cell phones as if it s works with them, right?
            I need to make location finder mobile applicatin. with location api.
            What shall I do?
            • 3. Re: Java Mcro Edition and Cell Phone Applications
              Opal
              It depends on how advanced the midlet will be. If standard components are used, the app should work everywhere, otherwise it need to be tested (it need to be tested always). If You need to write a midlet with Location API You first need to find a device that has this api implemented to test your application and the start writing. One importatnt thing, if a device in it's specification has written that it support Location API it doesn't have to mean that it's supported fully, some functions may not be implemented. As You can see here for instance. If You are not familiar with midlets start with a tutorial for beginners and after finishing try using more advanced APIs.
              • 4. Re: Java Mcro Edition and Cell Phone Applications
                I started to study and made simple a few apllication, but didnt try them on cell phones.
                I use simulators and works fine in it.

I dont want my struggles fly away, I needed to know am I on right way...
                You say that I can use middlets, JME if I learn better. Right?

And how can I understant that cell phones' specifications supports location api?
                • 5. Re: Java Mcro Edition and Cell Phone Applications
                  Opal
                  I guess that You're on a right way. When I was writing about tutorials for beginners I thought about 'beginners in J2ME'.

'Location API for J2ME (JSR-179)' is just a specification, just a document that is used by the producers of devices to standarise their software. If You want to write a midlet that will use location API you need to find a device that supports this specification, because not all support it (have this API implemented in JVM). Even if device's specification claim that Location API is supported it doesn't have to be supported fully, as I said before. Some functions may not be implemented. This will turn out when You start to develop and test the midlet on a real device.
                  • 6. Re: Java Mcro Edition and Cell Phone Applications
                    Ok, thanks for all advices. I need to try applications I write using JME on real devices, it seem...