This discussion is archived
3 Replies Latest reply: Jan 31, 2011 5:16 PM by ak RSS

OpenMQ - isLocalOnly property not set when MB down even if queue created

833876 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi,

I have defined a "conventional cluster" && I power off the blade that contains the MB (master broker) instance.

If I run "imqcmd create dst -b localhost:7676 -t q -n TEST -o isLocalOnly=true" on a broker && I do get the queue created even if there is an exception - which is ok based on the way that MB setup works.

BUT, the isLocalOnly flag is set to "false" - even if the property has been set as "true". Which to me is incorrect. I do not see what is the dependency between MB and the broker properties.

I found that bizar as behaviour - and I would like to know if this is expected behaviour.

BR,
Dan S.
  • 1. Re: OpenMQ - isLocalOnly property not set when MB down even if queue created
    ak Explorer
    The destination should not be created if imqcmd can't contact the master broker - this is true when using lastest MQ 4.5 build (see below). What is the version of MQ broker you were using ? You can file an issue to that MQ broker version at http://java.net/jira/browse/MQ

%imqcmd create dst -t q -n q0 -o isLocalOnly=true -b <non-masterbroker-host:non-masterbroker-port>
    Error while performing this operation on the broker.
    Unable to set/update attributes destination: q2, because [B4094]: Could not contact cluster configuration server.
    Creating the destination failed.

%imqcmd query dst -t q -n q0 -b <non-masterbroker-host:non-masterbroker-port>
    Error while performing this operation on the broker.
    Could not locate destination q0

The non-masterbroker log shows following as expected:
    [25/Jan/2011:09:56:26 PST] [B1159]: Destination q0 [Queue] has been destroyed
    [25/Jan/2011:09:56:26 PST] [B1387]: Purged 0 messages from destination q0 [Queue]
    [25/Jan/2011:09:56:26 PST] WARNING Unable to set/update attributes destination: q0, because [B4094]: Could not contact cluster configuration server.
  • 2. Re: OpenMQ - isLocalOnly property not set when MB down even if queue created
    833876 Newbie
    Hi,

I am using version 4.4 (do not recall patch level). Up to now, even if there was an exception the queue was created && the app could process messages on the queue created even if MB was down. If the props would be set ok too - then it would be perfect.

If that`s what will happen in 4.5 - then it will be disapointing because within a glassfish environment for example, an app will not be deployed until the queue is defined - when the MB is down (based on the assumption that the brokers are started REMOTE).
    That`s kind of too bad.

Why not having a more `soft` solution ? In the sense that when the MB is down, the existing cluster to work as in a `non-conventional` cluster ? The cluster brokers are in the list ....
    That will more application friendly approach !

I would also like to understand what is the exact different in having a MB defined && having none?
    I understand the part with the config, but I have less understanding on the effect on durable subscriptions, etc .... and the impact on the app.

Thank you for your time.

BR,
    Dan S
  • 3. Re: OpenMQ - isLocalOnly property not set when MB down even if queue created
    ak Explorer
    The behavior in 4.5 is not new. The following, from MQ documentation, describes the function of master broker in conventional cluster
    http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/E19798-01/821-1798/ggsuc/index.html

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points