1 Reply Latest reply on Feb 8, 2011 4:14 PM by Udo

RAC, the embedded PL/SQL gateway, and the new APEX Listener

Does anyone know why Oracle "does not recommend" the embedded PL/SQL gateway when using RAC? We have a large number of pages that have run in 8i and WebDB forever, and are now being migrated to 11g.

We have a small user base (< 100 online at any time) and we've always simply logged in with the dialog that pops up in the browser when it's pointed at a URL that corresponds to a DAD, e.g. http://my_host:8080/myschema/plsql_package.procname.

I can get this behavior by defining a DAD for XML DB with the DBMS_EPG package calls - but wonder why Oracle says this approach is not recommended for RAC? (We're building a 2-note RAC cluster).

I've configured the new APEX Listener - but it seems to route all requests through the proxy account APEX_PUBLIC_USER. We've depended on application users logging in with an Oracle schema account (for use in later logging, etc.) and depending on public synonyms and permissions to access packages, procedures, and data in the main application schema. Can APEX be used in the same way?
        • 1. Re: RAC, the embedded PL/SQL gateway, and the new APEX Listener
          Udo
          Hello,

I'm not sure whether this is the appropriate forum to discuss "EPG vs. RAC", but I'll share my thoughts with you:
          EPG uses the XDB-HTTP-Server, which is not clustered. The URL you enter points at a single RAC node and there is no load balancing through your different RAC nodes nor any failover. I think it's obvious that this makes such a scenario "not recommended".

APEX Listener has been designed with focus on APEX. If you depend on certain DAD-features, you should stay with OHS.
          You can make APEX use Database Authentication rather than its native internal authentication mechanism, though I'm not sure the result would be what you expect. APEX is a complete framework for easily building database driven web application. Web DB was aiming a bit different. As far as I remember, it was replaced by Oracle Portal and HTML DB, i.e. the functionality was split up into two products. Possibly you are more interested in the successor of Oracle Portal (Web Center) than in the successor of HTML DB (which is APEX).

To be more helpful for you, you may give us more information on what you are actually aiming at.

-Udo