4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 24, 2011 9:16 PM by beyerch2

can FDM user maintenance be automated through backend?

We have a FDM environment with 2 FDM apps for 3000 entities and about 700 users. You might have figure out that maintaining security across large number users since each one has to be done manually across both apps. Now we are about to start using FDM for our planning application and the security scenario gives us a nightmare.

Has anyone automated FDM security maintenance? Is it through APIs or SQL backend?

Any help would be really appreciated.
        • 1. Re: can FDM user maintenance be automated through backend?
          TonyScalese
          It depends. If you are using Shared Services, then you have a few layers to consider.

I always strongly caution backend manipulation of the application as it can have greater impacts than you may realize - including rendering the app unsupported by Oracle. If abssolutely necessary, I would consider using SQL.
          • 2. Re: can FDM user maintenance be automated through backend?
            Hey Tony,

Thank you for quick response. I should clarify that I am not a FDM resource but trying to help another team member as the issue is overwhelming her for now. As for backend stuff, you are right about potentially being out of warranty but we had to do few things for planning too and I am hoping there is something useful here. As for automation, we have automated Essbase/Planning security where users maintains it in a file and systems picks it up to update security.

I went through FDQM documentation to read about security, API and other stuff that could help us but did not find any information that would help us resolve our issue.

We on version 9.3.x and I believe SS for FDM comes into play for v11. Right? Do you know if this can be done through VB in FDM. If yes, where should I look? Can this be done through SQL backend? If yes, where should we start? What tables, or how we capture what SQL we need to write to assign security.

Another thing, the security interface for FDM is not seeming stellar for now. We have to click next tens of times before we get to intended user/entity where we need to go. Hope this is getting better in new versions very soon.
            • 3. Re: can FDM user maintenance be automated through backend?
              TonyScalese
              Honestly, it sounds like you need far more help than the forums are going to be able to offer. You need someone with deep knowledge of the application to help you define and build a process. I would suggest you consider reaching out to any of the EPM partners that are well versed in FDM.
              1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: can FDM user maintenance be automated through backend?
                beyerch2
                I have multiple FDM applications as well as a test environment. I usually sync all of the production App to the other pieces and override certain sections for instance :

A.) Production - This is production Actual Reporting App
                B.) Budget - This is a Budget FDM App. I want to keep all of the users, locations, etc. However, as we use multi-load, I don't care about the individual maps. Instead I map everything to * as the multi-load templates use our HFM accounts.

I have a SQL script I wrote which copies the necessary details from A to B and then I do an update to set every location of the proper type to have a parent map for a special location I called BudgetLocation.

I also have FDM app C.) Tax

Tax is an EXACT copy of actual. The reason I keep it separate from the normal production app; however, is they load to production HFM server but to different scenarios. End users (no offense) are not aware enough to realize what Scenario (category) they are in so things get messy if we are not paying attention.

I made a more generic SQL Server Stored Procedure that copies a GOOD NUMBER (BUT NOT ALL) of the FDM tables. This will copy users, groups, locations, mappings, etc. It does not copy Categories, or other System tables (periods, currencies)

Additionally, keep in mind if you have any custom scripts, you will need to sync the /Data/Scripts folder....

If you use this, great; however, USE THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE IF YOUR SERVER BECOMES SELF AWARE AND ATTEMPTS TO TAKE OVER THE KNOWN UNIVERSE. Seriously though, use this at your own risk........ so test it. It works for me. (NOTE this works for SQL 2005 and newer only, not 2000)

-=-=-==-=-=-=-=-=

-- NOTES

-- ##TARGETDB## - Replace this with the name of the Database that you want to SYNC

-- ##SOURCEDB## - Replace this with the name of the Database that is the data source

-- disable referential integrity

EXEC sp_MSForEachTable 'ALTER TABLE ? NOCHECK CONSTRAINT ALL'

--Clear User Security

TRUNCATE TABLE ##TARGETDB##.dbo.tSecUserPartition

TRUNCATE TABLE ##TARGETDB##.dbo.tStructPartitionLinks

delete from ##TARGETDB##.dbo.tStructPartitionHierarchy

TRUNCATE TABLE ##TARGETDB##.dbo.tDataArchive

TRUNCATE TABLE ##TARGETDB##.dbo.tDataCheck

--Attempt to clear out the tDataMapSeg tables

EXEC sp_MSForEachTable '

DECLARE @TableName VarChar(100)

Set @TableName = PARSENAME(''?'',1)

IF left(@TableName,8) = ''tDataMap''

TRUNCATE TABLE ##TARGETDB##.?

'

GO

--Attempt to clear ou the tDataSeg tables

EXEC sp_MSForEachTable '

DECLARE @TableName VarChar(100)

Set @TableName = PARSENAME(''?'',1)

IF left(@TableName,8) = ''tDataSeg''

TRUNCATE TABLE ##TARGETDB##.?

'

GO

TRUNCATE TABLE ##TARGETDB##.dbo.tLogActivity

TRUNCATE TABLE ##TARGETDB##.dbo.tLogProcess

TRUNCATE TABLE ##TARGETDB##.dbo.tDataArchive

delete from ##TARGETDB##.dbo.tSecUser

delete from ##TARGETDB##.dbo.tPOVPartition

TRUNCATE TABLE ##TARGETDB##.dbo.tBhvValEntItem

delete from ##TARGETDB##.dbo.tBhvValEntGroup

TRUNCATE TABLE ##TARGETDB##.dbo.tBhvImpItemFile

delete from ##TARGETDB##.dbo.tBhvImpGroup

-- RECOPY Data from Prod DB to Budget DB

insert into ##TARGETDB##.dbo.tBhvImpGroup

select * from ##SOURCEDB##.dbo.tBhvImpGroup

insert into ##TARGETDB##.dbo.tBhvValEntGroup

select * from ##SOURCEDB##.dbo.tBhvValEntGroup

insert into ##TARGETDB##.dbo.tBhvValEntItem

select * from ##SOURCEDB##.dbo.tBhvValEntItem

insert into ##TARGETDB##.dbo.tBhvImpItemFile

select * from ##SOURCEDB##.dbo.tBhvImpItemFile

insert into ##TARGETDB##.dbo.tPOVPartition

select * from ##SOURCEDB##.dbo.tPOVPartition

insert into ##TARGETDB##.dbo.tStructPartitionHierarchy

select * from ##SOURCEDB##.dbo.tStructPartitionHierarchy

insert into ##TARGETDB##.dbo.tStructPartitionLinks

select * from ##SOURCEDB##.dbo.tStructPartitionLinks

insert into ##TARGETDB##.dbo.tSecUser

select * from ##SOURCEDB##.dbo.tSecUser

insert into ##TARGETDB##.dbo.tSecUserPartition

select * from ##SOURCEDB##.dbo.tSecUserPartition

--Attempt to import data

SET IDENTITY_INSERT ##TARGETDB##.dbo.tDataMap ON

insert into ##TARGETDB##.dbo.tDataMap (PartitionKey, DimName, SrcKey, SrcDesc, TargKey, WhereClauseType, WhereClauseValue, ChangeSign, Sequence, DataKey, VBScript)

select PartitionKey, DimName, SrcKey, SrcDesc, TargKey, WhereClauseType, WhereClauseValue, ChangeSign, Sequence, DataKey, VBScript from ##SOURCEDB##.dbo.tDataMap

SET IDENTITY_INSERT ##TARGETDB##.dbo.tDataMap OFF

-- Update parent locations ...
                -- This is used for my budget copy to get every location working for multi-load * mappings
                --update ##TARGETDB##.dbo.tPOVPartition
                --
                --set PartParent = 'BudgetTemplateLoc'
                --
                --where
                --
                --PartName <> 'BudgetTemplateLoc' and PartControlsType = 1
                --

-- enable referential integrity again

EXEC sp_MSForEachTable 'ALTER TABLE ? CHECK CONSTRAINT ALL'

GO
                1 person found this helpful