1 2 Previous Next 18 Replies Latest reply on Mar 4, 2011 1:37 PM by EdStevens

Connect to SqlPLus

Hi to everybody

I installed oracle Client 10g-home2 in my laptop having the Windows 7 Home premium OS.. But I cant able to connect with
      SQLPLUS. After entering the Username,password,hoststring it is exiting.. It doesn't show any errors..
      Can anyone tel whats the problem also whats the username,password and host string need to give??

How can I check If oracle Database is installed or not??

Thanks in advance
        • 1. Re: Connect to SqlPLus
          Srini Chavali-Oracle
          There are several issues with the information you have posted.

First, you have installed the client - this is software needed to access a database on a remote computer. This does not include the software needed to create a database. For this, you will need to install the full blown software (which also includes the client piece) and create a database.

Second, no Oracle software is supported/certified on any Windows Home version. You will need to upgrade to Win 7 Professional or higher, or downgrade to Win XP Pro.

The database software download for 11gR2 is available here - http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/enterprise-edition/downloads/index.html

The Install Guide for 11gR2 is here (for Win) - http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/E11882_01/install.112/e16773/toc.htm

When you install the software on a supported OS, one of the options is to create a database (typically named "orcl") during the install process - you select a password when creating the database. Or you could install the software first, then create a database using DBCA (database creation assistant) - pl review the Guide posted above

HTH
          Srini
          • 2. Re: Connect to SqlPLus
            Helios-GunesEROL
            Hi;
            I installed oracle Client 10g-home2 in my laptop having the Windows 7 Home premium OS.. But I cant able to connect with
            SQLPLUS. After entering the Username,password,hoststring it is exiting.. It doesn't show any errors..
            Do you have any Oracle Database on your machine or your target server? Oracle client is a tool can connect db so its not a database.
            Can anyone tel whats the problem also whats the username,password and host string need to give??
            What is your host string? If possible share it
            How can I check If oracle Database is installed or not??
            Run>> services.msc>> Check is there any Oracle service is running
            You can also check Task Manager for any oracle process is running or not

Also you can check regedit

Regard
            Helios
            • 3. Re: Connect to SqlPLus
              how can i check whether Oracle Database is installed?? My host string is HISORA..I dont know the password bcoz after installation first time am entering.. I gave

Username - Scott

Password - Tiger

Hoststring - HISORA (as like in tnsnames.ora)
              • 4. Re: Connect to SqlPLus
                Helios-GunesEROL
                Hi;

Did you check what i post in my previous post? Did you check services or regedit?

You can also Check the registry :
                •The key HKLM\SOFTWARE\ORACLE must exist.
                •A subkey must exist that :
                •Has a name starting with KEY_ (like KEY_OraDb10g_home1, the end string being an Oracle home name).

Regard
                Helios
                • 5. Re: Connect to SqlPLus
                  HI I CHECKED IN REGEDIT
                  IT IS SHOWING AS HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE->SOFTWARE->ORACLE->ORACLE_HOME_KEY .. NOT AS ORADB10G SIR..
                  • 6. Re: Connect to SqlPLus
                    oradba
                    Post your tnsnames.ora, so that we can see where your target database is located. If you only installed the client,you don't have a database on your laptop. As already said Windows Home is not certified, although that may be not so critical for a client only installation.

Werner
                    • 7. Re: Connect to SqlPLus
                      OrionNet
                      Hello,

Are you trying to connect to a remote database server or local? Please post entries from tnsnames.ora

Regards

OrionNet
                      • 8. Re: Connect to SqlPLus
                        Hi sorry am not having the Oracle key under the HKLM->SOFTWARE..
                        So wat can i do now??
                        • 9. Re: Connect to SqlPLus
                          Am not trying to connect with remote Db only Local.. My tnsnames having the below content only..

HISORA =
                          (DESCRIPTION =
                          (ADDRESS_LIST =
                          (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = his221)(PORT = 1521))
                          )
                          (CONNECT_DATA =
                          (SERVICE_NAME = hisora)
                          )
                          )
                          • 10. Re: Connect to SqlPLus
                            OrionNet
                            Hello,

Can you change host=his221 to localhost or your computer name? Also check and confirm state of oracle (instance) service name under control panel--> Administrative Tools--> Services --> OracleServiceHISORA

Then try following and post output
                            C:> set ORACLE_SID=hisora

C:> sqlplus "/as sysdba" 
                            or
                             C:> sqlplus sys/<password>@hisora as sysdba 

HISORA =
                            (DESCRIPTION =
                            (ADDRESS_LIST =
                            (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = localhost)(PORT = 1521))
                            )
                            (CONNECT_DATA =
                            (SERVICE_NAME = hisora)
                            )
                            ) 
                            Regards
                            OrionNet
                            • 11. Re: Connect to SqlPLus
                              Oracle is not in Services.. What should i give for Password?? Bcoz first time am login..
                              • 12. Re: Connect to SqlPLus
                                OrionNet
                                Hello,

You said you are trying to connect to local database on your laptop, ?

Did you install Oracle Client software or Oracle Database 10g/11g SE/EE software?
                                If you installed 10g or 11g database software, did you created the database "HISORA" or any other database using DBCA or during installation?
                                Do you see any services running related to Oracle e.g OracleServiceOrcl or OracleServiceHISORA?

If not then you have to create listener and database using NETCA (listener) and DBCA(Database). I see some link provided by other volunteers and please refer to oracle documentation.

Regards
                                OrionNet
                                • 13. Re: Connect to SqlPLus
                                  I installed Oracle client 10g i didnt create any DB also i didnt see any services running for oracle?? How to create the DB?
                                  Can u send me the link plz..
                                  • 14. Re: Connect to SqlPLus
                                    OrionNet
                                    Hello,

First of all download the software from OTN or oracle

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/enterprise-edition/downloads/index.html

Oracle Documentation (installation guides and more)
                                    http://www.oracle.com/pls/db102/homepage?remark=tahiti

Oracle by Example series (for tutorials)

http://www.oracle.com/webfolder/technetwork/tutorials/obe/db/10g/r2/prod/install/wininst/wininst_otn.htm

http://apex.oracle.com/pls/apex/f?p=41867:24:1676632072499400::NO:24:P24_CONTENT_ID,P24_PREV_PAGE:4503,2

You can also search google for oracle10g installation and configuration tutotrials but your best bet is oracle documentations and OBE.

Hope this helps
                                    Regards
                                    OrionNet

Edited by: OrionNet on Feb 15, 2011 10:20 PM
                                    1 2 Previous Next