6 Replies Latest reply: Feb 19, 2011 9:07 AM by Charles Hooper RSS

How to find Oracle Database Documentation on OTN web site

Hemant K Chitale
      I hadn't seen this earlier but just came across the MOS article :

How to find Oracle Database Documentation on OTN web site [ID 1203353.1]

Maybe every new member should be automatically sent a copy of that note (even if he doesn't have an MOS account) ?

Hemant K Chitale
        • 1. Re: How to find Oracle Database Documentation on OTN web site
          jgarry
          Not only that, but they should probably get an optimistic Welcome! letter that has a few posting guidelines and a link to a broader etiquette description.

I wonder how many sign up with email to phones with small screens?
          • 2. Re: How to find Oracle Database Documentation on OTN web site
            Hemant K Chitale wrote:

I hadn't seen this earlier but just came across the MOS article :

How to find Oracle Database Documentation on OTN web site [ID 1203353.1]
            It is probably the replacement for the icon that used to be at the top of every OTN forum page that linked to the documentation.

I was never sure why it was removed and asked here about it but never got an answer.

I can only assume Oracle felt too many people were reading the manuals.

Improved documentation links

Re: what kind of dependent objects don't exist after truncate a table?

Re: difference between varchar and varhar2
            • 3. Re: How to find Oracle Database Documentation on OTN web site
              jgarry
              I can only assume Oracle felt too many people were reading the manuals.
              ROTFLMAO!

Just because I'm a "don't trust, but verify" kind of guy, I followed the example in the MOS doc. Clicked on the link, drilled down to 11.2 library, searched for example doc B14231. Fail. Put B14231 in google and many of the results were correct. 10.2 admin guide. This is all obvious to me, but I can see where a newbie might have an expectations collision.
              • 4. Re: How to find Oracle Database Documentation on OTN web site
                Charles Hooper
                That certainly is a helpful article, and the contents of the article should probably be part of the frequently asked questions (FAQ) for the forums site.

I use a slightly different method to access the Oracle documentation that seems to be a bit more efficient for my needs - Google searches. For example, if I am looking for the definition of V$SESSION_EVENT in a specific Oracle Database release version, I will use the following search keywords for 8i, 9.0.1, 9.2.0, 10.1.0, 10.2.0, 11.1.0, and 11.2.0, respectively:
                site:download.oracle.com 815 V$SESSION_EVENT
                site:download.oracle.com 901 V$SESSION_EVENT
                site:download.oracle.com 920 V$SESSION_EVENT
                site:download.oracle.com 101 V$SESSION_EVENT
                site:download.oracle.com 102 V$SESSION_EVENT
                site:download.oracle.com 111 V$SESSION_EVENT
                site:download.oracle.com 112 V$SESSION_EVENT
                Depending on the search keywords, it may also be necessary to specify database in the search keywords.

Charles Hooper
                Co-author of "Expert Oracle Practices: Oracle Database Administration from the Oak Table"
                http://hoopercharles.wordpress.com/
                IT Manager/Oracle DBA
                K&M Machine-Fabricating, Inc.
                • 5. Re: How to find Oracle Database Documentation on OTN web site
                  Charles Hooper
                  (Duplicate reply post deleted. The forum posting page hung while attempting to post my reply, I confirmed that the post was successful by checking the forum threads, and then manually closed the hung posting page. A duplicate reply post appeared automatically when I manually closed the hung posting page.)

Edited by: Charles Hooper on Feb 19, 2011 10:07 AM
                  • 6. Re: How to find Oracle Database Documentation on OTN web site
                    Charles Hooper
                    (Duplicate reply post deleted. The forum posting page hung while attempting to post my reply, I confirmed that the post was successful by checking the forum threads, and then manually closed the hung posting page. A duplicate reply post appeared automatically when I manually closed the hung posting page.)

Edited by: Charles Hooper on Feb 19, 2011 10:02 AM