This discussion is archived
3 Replies Latest reply: Feb 18, 2011 2:32 PM by captfoss RSS

How to record from a remote connection?

840744 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
I have a sound application up and running that enables physicians to pair an input form (think property/value) with an audio that is to be heard and transcribed by typists into that same initial form. The application is based on a Sun reference app from long ago that had a graph to display the audio signal.

To date the physicians are onsite and the microphone in use is USB and connected to the very same computer. Now, they would also like to remotely connect in from home using the Windows 'mstsc' program. The dialog for remote desktop connections has an option to select whether Remote audio playback or Remote audio recording is to 'Play on this computer' or 'Record from this computer'. In fact if 'Play on this computer' is selected I can use Windows Media Player to play a wav file located on the remote/work computer on 'this/home' computer. But, record doesn't work. When I call this:
<code>
DataLine.Info info = new DataLine.Info(TargetDataLine.class, new AudioFormat(8000,16,1,true,false);
if (!AudioSystem.isLineSupported(info)) {
</code>

The resulting Info object is not supported. My code goes on to display a dialog that tells the user you can't dictate remotely. So, finally, the question(s):
1. Is it possible to record remotely in this fashion? Seems the rdp dialog has options that imply you can.
2. Any thoughts on how the audio resources need to be constructed to do such remote recording?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Jeff
  • 1. Re: How to record from a remote connection?
    captfoss Pro
    First, I'd try to record with something like sound recorder over the remote connection. If you can't, then I'd give up.

If you can, then I'd investigate what happens when you do a scan of the various recording options on the system similiar to the one in this article...
    http://www.vsj.co.uk/java/display.asp?id=370

But make sure not to skip the first part. If Windows can't record something, you probably can't either. :-)
  • 2. Re: How to record from a remote connection?
    840744 Newbie
    Good point, should have mentioned I use sndrec32 to verify my results - if it can record my app works too is what I have found. And as you postulated, sndrec32 does not work remotely either. But, it appears within MS's mstsc application that there are settings to allow remote recording. Maybe the best approach would be to check with MS to see if its possible to get sndrec32 used remotely as you describe. Might be there really is nothing I can do within Java to enable remote recording.

Jeff
  • 3. Re: How to record from a remote connection?
    captfoss Pro
    837741 wrote:
    Might be there really is nothing I can do within Java to enable remote recording.
    Except code your app to record locally and transmit that data to the destination machine...of course ;-)

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points