5 Replies Latest reply: Mar 1, 2011 1:55 PM by mgaspereyra RSS

Uninstall OraDb11g_home1 problem

Hi,

I have 2 Oracle databases installed on my computer:
      OraDb11g_home1 and
      OraDb11g_home2.

I want to uninstall all the components of home1 withought affecting home2.

I tried using the Oracle Universal Installer, but when I try that it just tells me to run the 'deinstall.bat' file. This is just weird. I mean what is the point of having a "Universal" Installer, if instead of installing/uninstalling, it just gives the user further instructions.
      Anyway, I ran the file. It asked me a few questions about the name, type of database et al. But it's not working. I can still see all the components of home1.

I have the Oracle 11g (Release 2) Entriprise Edition installed on Windows 7 (64bit) Home Premium.

I am not a seasoned Oracle user. I'm just a computer science student trying to learn Oracle. I don't know too much about it.
      Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
        • 1. Re: Uninstall OraDb11g_home1 problem
          Srini Chavali-Oracle
          >
          I have the Oracle 11g (Release 2) Entriprise Edition installed on Windows 7 (64bit) Home Premium.
          >

No Oracle database release is certified/supported to be installed on any Home version of Windows - so you basically ignored the Install Guide :-)

http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/E11882_01/install.112/e16773/reqs.htm#CHDHGGFE

Since your OS is not certified/supported, the uninstall process did not work.

You will have to manually delete folders and registry entries.

HTH
          Srini
          • 2. Re: Uninstall OraDb11g_home1 problem
            I downloaded the documentation but it was 400MB :-| and the folders and pdf files weren't named according to topics. They just had weird numbers as names. It would've taken me days to read it and find the relevant information.

So, I just need to manually delete the files from the drive and delete the registry entries? Is that all?
            As I stated earlier, I have two instances of the database installed. If I delete the Oracle registry entries won't both the databases be affected?
            And if it's possible, could you please tell me which entries to delete and from where? :-)
            • 3. Re: Uninstall OraDb11g_home1 problem
              Srini Chavali-Oracle
              Bonzo wrote:
              I downloaded the documentation but it was 400MB :-| and the folders and pdf files weren't named according to topics. They just had weird numbers as names. It would've taken me days to read it and find the relevant information.
              I am not sure why you needed to download the document. The link referenced above points directly to the software requirements.

>
              So, I just need to manually delete the files from the drive and delete the registry entries? Is that all?
              As I stated earlier, I have two instances of the database installed. If I delete the Oracle registry entries won't both the databases be affected?
              Windows Home version is not supported for Oracle database installs.
              And if it's possible, could you please tell me which entries to delete and from where? :-)
              I have no experience with Windows - so perhaps others can help

Srini
              • 4. Re: Uninstall OraDb11g_home1 problem
                @schavali
                Thank you

Bounce!
                • 5. Re: Uninstall OraDb11g_home1 problem
                  mgaspereyra
                  First of all, you should avoid ignore the installation requirements.
                  In order to deinstall oracle 11g you have to know the following:
                  a. There's no way to deinstall Oracle RDBMS software via OUI (Oracle Universal Installer).
                  b. You have to read metalink note 886184.1
                  c. Have you looked in %ORACLE_HOME/install% dir for deinstall utility?

The easier way, is to use that tool. The hard way, remove all related directories and registry entries manually. (I can't help you with the "hard" way, because I never installed Oracle RDBMS on windows).

Regards.