8 Replies Latest reply: Feb 23, 2011 10:32 AM by user8030325 RSS

How to Stop/Start MW HTTP Services

user8030325
      We have installed MW 2.18. What I cannot seem to find is how to stop/start the MW HTTP services if the repository database goes down or has to be bounced. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,
      James
        • 1. Re: How to Stop/Start MW HTTP Services
          David Heisler-Oracle
          We are using the TNS Listener for HTTP services so by restarting the database listener for the MW you will bring up the service using XDB
          • 2. Re: How to Stop/Start MW HTTP Services
            user8030325
            What do the entries in your listener.ora file look like?
            • 3. Re: How to Stop/Start MW HTTP Services
              vikki - moderator - oracle
              They are identical to the ones in the MOS note 329476.1. Did you follow that to install MW?

-Vikki Pickard
              Product Manager for the Maintenance Wizard
              • 4. Re: How to Stop/Start MW HTTP Services
                user8030325
                Hi Vikki,

Yes, I did follow the note.
                What I don't understand is what happens when the user types the MW URL (i.e. http://<host>.<port>) to connect it to the MW repository database and launch the login page.

Thanks,
                James
                • 5. Re: How to Stop/Start MW HTTP Services
                  James,

Can you post the results of running the command, substituting in for yourSIDname?

lsnrctl status LISTENER_<yourSIDname>

A properly installed one looks something like this:

$ lsnrctl status LISTENER_oursidname

LSNRCTL for Linux: Version 10.2.0.4.0 - Production on 22-FEB-2011 13:56:14

Copyright (c) 1991, 2007, Oracle. All rights reserved.

Connecting to (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=TCP)(HOST=ourhostname.us.oracle.com)(PORT=1592)))
                  STATUS of the LISTENER
                  ------------------------
                  Alias LISTENER_oursidname
                  Version TNSLSNR for Linux: Version 10.2.0.4.0 - Production
                  Start Date 09-FEB-2011 12:18:35
                  Uptime 13 days 1 hr. 37 min. 38 sec
                  Trace Level off
                  Security ON: Local OS Authentication
                  SNMP OFF
                  Listener Parameter File /oracle/product/10.2.0/master/network/admin/listener.ora
                  Listener Log File /oracle/product/10.2.0/master/network/log/listener_oursidname.log
                  Listening Endpoints Summary...
                  (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=tcp)(HOST=ourhostname.us.oracle.com)(PORT=1592)))
                  (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=tcp)(HOST=ourhostname.us.oracle.com)(PORT=8888))(Presentation=HTTP)(Session=RAW))
                  (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=tcp)(HOST=ourhostname.us.oracle.com)(PORT=3100))(Presentation=FTP)(Session=RAW))
                  Services Summary...
                  Service "oursidname.us.oracle.com" has 1 instance(s).
                  Instance "oursidname", status READY, has 1 handler(s) for this service...
                  Service "oursidnameXDB.us.oracle.com" has 1 instance(s).
                  Service "oursidname_XPT.us.oracle.com" has 1 instance(s).
                  The command completed successfully
                  • 6. Re: How to Stop/Start MW HTTP Services
                    user8030325
                    Hi Vikki,

Below is the lsnctl output. We are not having trouble logging into the tool right now. I just want to make sure we can still get in after a database and/or server restart. Our MW database is named MWREP. I saw the MWREPXDB and MWREP_XPT services but don't know exactly what they are.

Thanks,
                    James

oracle@apollo:MWREP:/hcc/app/oracle/product/10.2.0.5/dbs
                    $ lsnrctl status LISTENER_MWREP

LSNRCTL for IBM/AIX RISC System/6000: Version 10.2.0.5.0 - Production on 22-FEB-
                    2011 16:00:59

Copyright (c) 1991, 2010, Oracle. All rights reserved.

Connecting to (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=TCP)(HOST=apollo.hcc.com)(PORT=152
                    1)))
                    STATUS of the LISTENER
                    ------------------------
                    Alias LISTENER_MWREP
                    Version TNSLSNR for IBM/AIX RISC System/6000: Version 10.2.0.5
                    .0 - Production
                    Start Date 14-FEB-2011 12:03:22
                    Uptime 8 days 3 hr. 57 min. 37 sec
                    Trace Level off
                    Security ON: Local OS Authentication
                    SNMP ON
                    Listener Parameter File /hcc/app/oracle/product/10.2.0.5/network/admin/listene
                    r.ora
                    Listener Log File /hcc/app/oracle/product/10.2.0.5/network/log/listener_
                    mwrep.log
                    Listening Endpoints Summary...
                    (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=tcp)(HOST=apollo.hcc.com)(PORT=1521)))
                    (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=ipc)(KEY=EXTPROC0)))
                    (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=tcp)(HOST=apollo.hcc.com)(PORT=8000))(Presenta
                    tion=HTTP)(Session=RAW))
                    (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=tcp)(HOST=apollo.hcc.com)(PORT=3100))(Presenta
                    tion=FTP)(Session=RAW))
                    Services Summary...
                    Service "DARCH" has 1 instance(s).
                    Instance "DARCH", status READY, has 1 handler(s) for this service...
                    Service "DARCHXDB" has 1 instance(s).
                    Instance "DARCH", status READY, has 1 handler(s) for this service...
                    Service "DBA11.world" has 1 instance(s).
                    Instance "DBA11", status READY, has 1 handler(s) for this service...
                    Service "DWDEVL.world" has 1 instance(s).
                    Instance "DWDEVL", status READY, has 1 handler(s) for this service...
                    Service "FMTEST" has 1 instance(s).
                    Instance "FMTEST", status READY, has 1 handler(s) for this service...
                    Service "FMTESTXDB" has 1 instance(s).
                    Service "FMTEST_XPT" has 1 instance(s).
                    Service "HCR12.world" has 1 instance(s).
                    Instance "HCR12", status READY, has 1 handler(s) for this service...
                    Service "MWREP" has 2 instance(s).
                    Instance "MWREP", status UNKNOWN, has 1 handler(s) for this service...
                    Instance "MWREP", status READY, has 1 handler(s) for this service...
                    Service "MWREPXDB" has 1 instance(s).
                    Service "MWREP_XPT" has 1 instance(s).
                    Service "PCOPY.world" has 1 instance(s).
                    Instance "PCOPY", status READY, has 1 handler(s) for this service...
                    Service "TECH.world" has 1 instance(s).
                    Instance "TECH", status READY, has 1 handler(s) for this service...
                    Service "UTEST.world" has 1 instance(s).
                    Instance "UTEST", status READY, has 1 handler(s) for this service...
                    Service "VIS12" has 1 instance(s).
                    Instance "VIS12", status READY, has 1 handler(s) for this service...
                    The command completed successfully
                    • 7. Re: How to Stop/Start MW HTTP Services
                      Sounds like everything is setup and working properly then... (Other than it looks like you're sharing a listener with a bunch of other db's and may even have reused the OH, which we recommend against.)

As long as you start your listener and DB for MW, and you see those 3 svcs for the MW instance, you'll be able to use MW. It's very simple to maintain.

-Vikki
                      • 8. Re: How to Stop/Start MW HTTP Services
                        user8030325
                        Hi Vikki,

I've never worked with XDB so that is apparently the reason I was looking for more services to have to start than there are.

The MWREP database is the only database running from the 10.2 home (everything else is 11g) so I do not know why the listener shows services for every database on that node. I wondered about that also.

XDB was the "missing piece" in my understanding of the tool so that answers my question.

Thanks,
                        James