This discussion is archived
10 Replies Latest reply: Feb 27, 2011 4:41 PM by Aman.... RSS

sqlplus command line editing

842872 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
I've noticed that if I am in sqlplus (11g) on a Windows box I can bring back my previous SQL commands with the up arrow and edit them just like in mysql.
This doesnt work in Linux. Is that a difference between the Winders and Linux ports of sqlplus or is there some parameter I can tweak ?

Thanks in advance
  • 1. Re: sqlplus command line editing
    ThierryH. Pro
    jus use the sqlplus functionalty:

SQL> ed

This will always works when you have a default text editor setup on your system.

the up arrow is system / stting dependant.

HTH,
    Thierry
  • 2. Re: sqlplus command line editing
    sb92075 Guru
    I've noticed that if I am in sqlplus (11g) on a Windows box
    REALLY?
    sqlplus or sqlplusw?
  • 3. Re: sqlplus command line editing
    Aman.... Oracle ACE
    davep75 wrote:
    I've noticed that if I am in sqlplus (11g) on a Windows box I can bring back my previous SQL commands with the up arrow and edit them just like in mysql.
    This doesnt work in Linux. Is that a difference between the Winders and Linux ports of sqlplus or is there some parameter I can tweak ?

Thanks in advance
    It's the way it is. If you want to enable the same thing in Linux, you need to use, rlwrap util to do so. Please have a look,
    http://www.oracle-base.com/articles/linux/rlwrap.php

Aman....
  • 4. Re: sqlplus command line editing
    user296828 Expert
    Use the Unix/Linux vi-editor:
    DEFINE _EDITOR=vi

Use the Notepad on Windows:
    DEFINE _EDITOR=notepad

You can add this command in your login.sql or glogin.sql scripts so it executes every time you start sqlplus
  • 5. Re: sqlplus command line editing
    Aman.... Oracle ACE
    Pgoel,

First, please reply to the OP and not to me. Second, please read the question a little more closely. The OP wants to have the command line history within sql which is available in the Windows prompt but not in the Linux natively. And for this, having the editor defined or not, will not make any difference and rlwrap would do the job.

Aman....
  • 6. Re: sqlplus command line editing
    Dude! Guru
    Fyi, the information about Readline wrapper is a bit outdated and compiling it, depending on the version of Linux can fail.

There is an easier way to install rlwrap using yum. You can install Fedora packages on Enterprise Linux. Check http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/EPEL

rpm -Uvh http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/epel/5/i386/epel-release-5-4.noarch.rpm
    rpm -Uvh http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/epel/5/x86_64/epel-release-5-4.noarch.rpm

Then simply:
    # yum install rlwrap
    then as Oracle user:
    $ alias sqlplus='rlwrap sqlplus'

Edited by: Dude on Feb 26, 2011 5:50 AM
  • 7. Re: sqlplus command line editing
    Aman.... Oracle ACE
    Wow, thanks for it :) .

Regards
    Aman....
  • 8. Re: sqlplus command line editing
    842872 Newbie
    Whats the difference between sqlplus and sqlplusw and how could I tell which one I have ?
  • 9. Re: sqlplus command line editing
    sb92075 Guru
    Whats the difference between sqlplus and sqlplusw and how could I tell which one I have ?
    sqlplus is command line (from Command Window)

sqlplusw is a GUI via clicking upon an icon.
  • 10. Re: sqlplus command line editing
    Aman.... Oracle ACE
    davep75 wrote:
    You can tell by looking at it since both would be different. SQLPLUS would be a pure command line utility and would be available on all the platforms. But SQLPLUSW is a Windows only tool and you wont find it anywhere else plus you would not find it from 11g onwards in Windows also.

Aman....

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points