8 Replies Latest reply on Apr 18, 2011 4:58 PM by Colm Divilly-Oracle

    Tomcat and German Umlaute (and Glassfish, too)

    d_wilhelm
      Hello,

      i installed Apex 4.02 on 11g R2 with apex listener EA on Tomcat 6.0.32 and i'm heaving problems with german umlaute.

      I did the configuration like described in Re: Accentuated characters problem


      When i use a umlaut in a process success message, i get an error message:
      Error printing success messages: A32E15E0F1DF05A561CF306953021A02 
      I can bypass this error by using html encodings in the sussec messages.

      But this only works for my own processes. I still get this error when a user tries to login with wrong credentials. I guess this is because of the umlate in the german translation for "Invalid login credentials".


      I also have another problem with the umlaute.

      On one page i can enter umlaute correct and they are saved corret to the database. on another page in the same application the umlaute will not get saved correct.

      Thanks for help in advance.

      Regards,
      Dirk

      Edited by: d_wilhelm on 01.03.2011 13:29
        • 1. Re: Tomcat and German Umlaute
          Udo
          Hello Dirk,

          I started my how-to-configure-tomcat-search with the same error message and hit the post you found. But there is one more parameter to be set. Did you also configure the maximum size for HTTP-Headers for your Tomcat? I recently posted my working config (including umlauts) here: {message:id=9360158}

          -Udo
          • 2. Re: Tomcat and German Umlaute
            d_wilhelm
            Hello Udo,

            thank you very much for your input.

            I added the maxHttpHeaderSize to the server.xml and restarted tomcat. But i still get the error message when i try to login with incorrec credentials.

            The other problem with the umlaute being saved correctly on one page and incorrect on another page also still exists.


            Regards,
            Dirk
            • 3. Re: Tomcat and German Umlaute
              d_wilhelm
              Hello,

              just took a closer look with firebug at what happens when i submit the pages.

              The page where the umlaute are not saved correct, contains a file browse element and the page is submitted as multipart/form-data.

              The page where it works correct is submiotted as application/x-www-form-urlencoded


              When i completely remove the file browse item, the page get submitted as application/x-www-form-urlencoded and the umlaute are saved correct. Just setting the display condition to never doesn't work, the item has to be removed completely.
              • 4. Re: Tomcat and German Umlaute
                Udo
                Hello Dirk,

                I just saw you are currently using the EA-version of the Listener. Could you try to check whether the error also occurs on your site with the current production release? I didn't use the EA-version on a Tomcat yet, and I can't reproduce the problem on my Tomcat using the current production release. If you have the problem doesn't occur with the production version, we could try to figure out what other differences there may be in our system configurations. Otherwhise this should be addressed as a bug which might get fixed for the next production release.

                -Udo
                • 5. Re: Tomcat and German Umlaute
                  d_wilhelm
                  Hello Udo,

                  currently i'm trying out the new Glassfish 3.1 instead of tomcat, but i have the same problem there.

                  I installed both the ea and the latest stable release of the listener. Both show the same behavior with incorrect umlaute when a file browse item is on the page.


                  The error message i got when i tried to login with incorrect credentials is gone now.
                  • 6. Re: Tomcat and German Umlaute
                    Udo
                    Hello Dirk,

                    I saw a similar problem in another thread lately: {thread:id=2186511}
                    The JVM-option mentioned there could be helpful in your case, too. I solved another problem concerning a different localization issue (timezone) by setting the corresponding option. In general, most servers would run with UTF-8 as default, but possibly either global Java settings or environment variables make it use a different charset.

                    -Udo

                    Edited by: Udo on 16.03.2011 21:21
                    Link to related thread was broken - fixed
                    1 person found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Tomcat and German Umlaute
                      d_wilhelm
                      Hello Udo,

                      adding the jvm option solved my problem.
                      -Dfile.encoding=UTF8
                      Thanks for your help.
                      • 8. Re: Tomcat and German Umlaute
                        Colm Divilly-Oracle
                        This issue is addressed in release 1.1.1