1 2 Previous Next 29 Replies Latest reply: Jul 25, 2013 9:30 AM by Yann Allandit Go to original post RSS
      • 15. Re: Release plans for oracleasm and RHEL 6?
        Avi Miller-Oracle
        Dude wrote:
        Ok, modprob oracleasm did it. After that and installing oracleasm-support
        Just a note that we released oracleasmlib for OL6 to ULN overnight, so you can now get full ASMlib support on OL6 if you have Oracle Linux support.
        • 16. Re: Release plans for oracleasm and RHEL 6?
          Dude!
          Will there be a public release?

So far I used http://download.oracle.com/otn_software/asmlib/oracleasmlib-2.0.4-1.el5.x86_64.rpm under OL6.2 without a problem, but I'm only playing around in VirtualBox. Is the new version going to support more specific storage hardware, what are the changes?
          • 17. Re: Release plans for oracleasm and RHEL 6?
            Avi Miller-Oracle
            Dude wrote:
            So far I used http://download.oracle.com/otn_software/asmlib/oracleasmlib-2.0.4-1.el5.x86_64.rpm under OL6.2 without a problem, but I'm only for playing around in VirtualBox. Is the new version going to support more specific storage hardware, what are the changes?
            There are no changes, it's just been built for OL6. The userspace oracleasmlib library has nothing to do with storage hardware.
            • 18. Re: Release plans for oracleasm and RHEL 6?
              Dude!
              Thanks for the info.

I think I'm not the only one who is confused about the real advantages of Oracle ASMLib and how it compares to functions provided by Multipath and Udev. The available documentation doesn't help, it's too vague.

Here is what I have been able to gather so far:

Unlike Unix, Linux did initially not have support for raw devices to bypass kernel I/O scheduling and buffering. So some sort of raw device support was finally implemented in Linux, and then removed and reimplemented again due to customer demand. However, the use of raw devices is depreciated as of RHEL 5 and "direct_o" should be used instead. ASMLib provides an alternative method to "o_direct" on block devices to avoid kernel buffering (I/O scheduler) under Linux and can help to reduce system load by exploiting the capabilities and strengths of vendor storage arrays.

ASMLib automatically examines each disk in the system in order to find ASM disks and can easily be configured to scan the multipath disks and exclude single path disks, which is necessary since ASM cannot handle duplicate disk metadata. ASMLib takes care of device ownership and removes the need to configure the diskstring parameter of the +ASM instance.

Is this nonsense? What is the real story about Linux ASMLib and what exactly does oracleasmlib do?
              • 19. Re: Release plans for oracleasm and RHEL 6?
                Avi Miller-Oracle
                Dude wrote:
                Is this nonsense? What is the real story about Linux ASMLib and what exactly does oracleasmlib do?
                It's not nonsense. ASMlib provides an optimised direct I/O path for ASM to block devices on Linux (both multipath and non-multipath devices). It also provides a much simpler administration mechanism for marking ASM devices, discovering those devices and configuring the appropriate permission for those devices. While it's optional, I find ASMlib much easier to work with. However, you can do everything you need to do with ASMlib with udev and multipathd.

I am told by the developers that the direct I/O under ASMlib is more efficient, in that it uses far less handles than the normal direct I/O path in the kernel, but this is possibly only really noticeable on modern hardware when you're dealing with 1000s of LUNs. Though, in a virtual DB environment, this becomes a lot more noticeable. Which is why we do recommend the use of ASMlib with DB under Oracle VM to physical LUNs.
                • 20. Re: Release plans for oracleasm and RHEL 6?
                  Dude!
                  Thanks again! Unfortunately I cannot reward your answer because I'm not the OP.
                  • 21. Re: Release plans for oracleasm and RHEL 6?
                    I have a VM running CentOS 6.2 operating system. I am looking to install ASM and cannot find ASMLib package for this OS version. I can't find a supported version otn. Does any one have tried installing ASMLib, say for RHEL 5 in RHEL 6 installation (this is same as Centos 6.)

This is what I have:
                    $ uname -r
                    2.6.32-220.el6.x86_64

Any help/suggestion would be appreciated.

Thanks
                    Ganesh
                    • 22. Re: Release plans for oracleasm and RHEL 6?
                      Avi Miller-Oracle
                      user10179825 wrote:
                      I have a VM running CentOS 6.2 operating system. I am looking to install ASM and cannot find ASMLib package for this OS version. I can't find a supported version otn. Does any one have tried installing ASMLib, say for RHEL 5 in RHEL 6 installation (this is same as Centos 6.)
                      We are not releasing oracleasmlib for RHEL6, or by extension, CentOS 6 either. You need to use Oracle Linux 6 instead. A ULN subscription is required to obtain oracleasmlib from ULN.
                      • 23. Re: Release plans for oracleasm and RHEL 6?
                        user10273011
                        Anybody out there , Is oracle releasing asmlib for RHEL 6.x or not? why this partiality, why oracle forcing people to use their linux.
                        • 24. Re: Release plans for oracleasm and RHEL 6?
                          Dude!
                          Red Hat officially said "Yes, we undercut Oracle with hidden Linux patches"?
                          http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2011/03/04/red_hat_twarts_oracle_and_novell_with_change_to_source_code_packaging

To that sounds like a good reason for Oracle to branch its own kernel and not rely on RHEL for kernel support. Many vendors require you use their OS system to use their proprietary software. It's nothing unusual, just take Microsoft, HP and Apple, for example.

The ASMLib kernel driver is released under the GNU General Public License (GPL). Oracle will only formally support the binary RPMs compiled by Oracle and downloadable from ULN or the OTN ASMLib page.
                          • 25. Re: Release plans for oracleasm and RHEL 6?
                            user10273011
                            That's oracle's dishonesty, they trying to steal customers from RH, I can testify to that as I have been approached by oracle offering support for RH,
                            • 26. Re: Release plans for oracleasm and RHEL 6?
                              Avi Miller-Oracle
                              user10273011 wrote:
                              That's oracle's dishonesty, they trying to steal customers from RH, I can testify to that as I have been approached by oracle offering support for RH,
                              It's not dishonest: we're upfront about it, as is Red Hat. They've made it more difficult for us to support their kernel, so in turn we've made the commercial decision to only support Oracle kernel modules, i.e. oracleasm and ocfs2, in our own kernel. Note that both of these modules are GPL, so it's Red Hat's decision not to include them. Novell includes both in SUSE Enterprise, while Red Hat actively removes OCFS2 from the upstream kernel sources before building their kernel.

We also publicly publish our kernel sources as git repositories:

UEK: https://oss.oracle.com/git/?p=linux-2.6-unbreakable.git;a=summary
                              UEK2: https://oss.oracle.com/git/?p=linux-uek-2.6.39.git;a=summary

Finally, all of Oracle Linux is now available for free, including updates and errata. You can also download oracleasmlib for OL6 from OTN without a ULN subscription. Thus, everything you need to run is available for free. If you want support, that's an option, but it's not required nor mandatory.
                              • 27. Re: Release plans for oracleasm and RHEL 6?
                                Dude!
                                Dishonesty about what? As far as I can tell, Oracle and Red Hat are both corporations with a typical business model. Oracle has all rights trying to get customers of Red Hat and so does Red Hat. Maybe it is unfortunate for Red Hat that Oracle Linux simply provides a better deal. Oracle has not stolen Linux from Red Hat. In fact, Oracle adds to the spirit of Linux by providing free software updates without the need for a subscription and trying to improve and add features. I recommend to read the GNU GPL License: http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html
                                • 28. Re: Release plans for oracleasm and RHEL 6?
                                  Avi Miller-Oracle
                                  user10273011 wrote:
                                  Is oracle releasing asmlib for RHEL 6.x or not? why this partiality, why oracle forcing people to use their linux.
                                  We are neither releasing asmlib for RHEL6 nor forcing people to use our Linux. You can quite successfully use ASM on RHEL6: ASMlib is not mandatory. It just makes managing ASM devices simpler and provides a more efficient I/O path through the kernel.
                                  • 29. Re: Release plans for oracleasm and RHEL 6?
                                    Yann Allandit

Redhat does now provide ASMLib. It is available starting with the 6.4.

http://rhn.redhat.com/errata/RHEA-2013-0554.html

1 2 Previous Next