5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 29, 2011 7:33 AM by Udo

APEX Listener for internal business operations only?

mark.lancaster
      It would appear you can only use the APEX Listener (AL) for internal business operations.

From the APEX Network licence:
      We grant you a nonexclusive, nontransferable limited license to use the programs solely for your internal business operations subject to the terms of this agreement and the license grants and restrictions set forth with your licensing of such Oracle database programs.

So what is the proposed solution for external operations?

Currently we can use Apache with mod_plsql on the same server as the database without this limitation.

Is there a licensed alternative for the AL?

Mark
        • 1. Re: APEX Listener for internal business operations only?
          Hi,

I too would be interested to know the answer to this, as I have a request to provide a POC for a system which will service both internal and external customers logging into an APEX application, or possibly two separate APEX applications.

I do know of a number of successful installations which service both internal and external customers, but I'm not aware of the licensing considerations involved.

Thanks,
          Graham
          • 2. Re: APEX Listener for internal business operations only?
            Udo
            Hi Graham,

there had been another thread were Kris posted a clarification of the license terms for the APEX Listener. See {message:id=9714073}.

-Udo
            • 3. Re: APEX Listener for internal business operations only?
              Thanks Udo - so the database license covers it. Problem solved!
              • 4. Re: APEX Listener for internal business operations only?
                mark.lancaster
                Hi Udo

I don't think Kris's response addressed the issue of "internal business operations" at all.

You can use the APEX listener if you have a licensed database; this is the same as using Oracle Application Server for zero cost provided it physically resides on the same server as the database.

However the APEX listener license specifies you can use it for "internal business operations". This restriction does not exist for Oracle AS.

This is the part that needs clarification.

Regards

Mark
                • 5. Re: APEX Listener for internal business operations only?
                  Udo
                  Hi Mark,

I think this is a misunderstanding. What you are referring to is the OTN license. When I use the one linked at the APEX Listener OTN home page, I get the same agreement as I get for APEX ([url http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/licenses/app-express-lic-152009.html]ORACLE TECHNOLOGY NETWORK DEVELOPMENT AND DISTRIBUTION LICENSE AGREEMENT TERMS FOR ORACLE APPLICATION EXPRESS). This is the only licensing documentation I could find at all.
                  I don't think Kris' response was in respect to the APEX OTN License, but a general answer, as the question was aimed at a "production site" - which can't be used with any OTN License I know of, including Oracle AS.

Perhaps I oversaw or misunderstood something here. If you have any hint on what other terms you've based your judgement on, please let me know.

Thanks,

Udo

P.S.: The Licensing Information in the downloaded package actually includes a slightly different version, but still OTN license information only. I think this document is outdated, as it also still contains the EA-license, which shouldn't apply to the current release anymore.
                  Thinking of that, there seems to be a need to update the downloadable package...

Edited by: Udo on 29.11.2011 08:31