This discussion is archived
1 2 Previous Next 28 Replies Latest reply: Mar 10, 2011 10:46 PM by 845125 Go to original post RSS
  • 15. Re: can JSAPI work to get count the decibel from voices?
    793415 Pro
    Currently Being Moderated
    AID wrote:
    ..What if I changed the idea? I try to not get the waveform but calculate it (the .wav file) using logarithm mathematics (log)?
    To do an FFT, or calculations on sound dB, power, etc. (which I suspect would be necessary for voice recognition) it is first necessary to get access to the 'waveform' - the moment by moment digital samples of the sound. Java Sound can do that, and I feel that is where you should start looking, and asking questions. As it happens there is a dedicated Java Sound & I suggest this thread be moved there.

If you agree, I'll ask one of the community moderators to shift it.
  • 16. Re: can JSAPI work to get count the decibel from voices?
    845125 Newbie
    >
    To do an FFT, or calculations on sound dB, power, etc. (which I suspect would be necessary for voice recognition) it is first necessary to get access to the 'waveform' - the moment by moment digital samples of the sound. Java Sound can do that, and I feel that is where you should start looking, and asking questions. As it happens there is a dedicated Java Sound & I suggest this thread be moved there.

Oh there is? Okay. I agree. Thank you Andrew.

Good Day..
  • 17. Re: can JSAPI work to get count the decibel from voices?
    793415 Pro
    AID wrote:
    >
    Oh there is? Okay. I agree. Thank you Andrew.
    They were more efficient than me. The next time I saw the thread, it had already been moved. ;)
  • 18. Re: can JSAPI work to get count the decibel from voices?
    845125 Newbie
    Andrew Thompson wrote:
    They were more efficient than me. The next time I saw the thread, it had already been moved. ;)
    So, the thing I can do now is wait for them to reply, right?

Thank you so much Andrew..

Good day..
  • 19. Re: can JSAPI work to get count the decibel from voices?
    793415 Pro
    AID wrote:
    ..So, the thing I can do now is wait for them to reply, right?
    Waiting patiently is good, though now we are on the correct forum I am willing to comment..
    I try to not get the waveform..
    <head-desk />How many times do we have to tell you that to do anything of interest with sound, you need to get the wave form? Programming is not magic.
    .. but calculate it (the .wav file) using logarithm mathematics (log)?
    Does that statement make some (or any) sense to you? Can you explain it so it makes sense to me?+ What do logarithms have to do with anything?
  • 20. Re: can JSAPI work to get count the decibel from voices?
    EJP Guru
    I try to not get the waveform but calculate it (the .wav file) using logarithm mathematics (log)?
    Is it possible?
    It is completely and utterly meaningless.
  • 21. Re: can JSAPI work to get count the decibel from voices?
    845125 Newbie
    Andrew Thompson wrote:
    <head-desk />How many times do we have to tell you that to do anything of interest with sound, you need to get the wave form? Programming is not magic.
    I am so sorry for asking that. Its just, I had talked to one of my teacher, he said that I don't need to get the waveform, I just have to calculate it. Which make me confused. I said to him, how can we do that? He said you could but he doesn't tell me how. Well, now I know I cant get to do this if I cant find the waveform.

So, can Java Sound get the waveform?
    Does that statement make some (or any) sense to you? Can you explain it so it makes sense to me?+ What do logarithms have to do with anything?
    Well, he said, that I could just count the decibel value by logarithms.

Thank you for your understanding..

Good day..
  • 22. Re: can JSAPI work to get count the decibel from voices?
    EJP Guru
    I suggest you ask your teacher for clarification. Does he want you to use real sounds or synthesized (calculated) sounds?

As for logarithms, yes, decibels are calculated with logarithms. But as we had already ruled decibels out as the solution, what is the relevance?

I also suggest you show your teacher this thread. I suspect there are some major communications difficulties somewhere along the line and you need to work with him resolve them.
  • 23. Re: can JSAPI work to get count the decibel from voices?
    793415 Pro
    AID wrote:
    ..So, can Java Sound get the waveform?
    How many f*cking times do I need to answer that same question?!?
  • 24. Re: can JSAPI work to get count the decibel from voices?
    845125 Newbie
    EJP wrote:
    I suggest you ask your teacher for clarification. Does he want you to use real sounds or synthesized (calculated) sounds?
    I am sorry if I sound so stupid, well I think I am, umm, what do you mean by real sound or synthesized sounds? Can you please explain it to me? Thank you.
    I also suggest you show your teacher this thread. I suspect there are some major communications difficulties somewhere along the line and you need to work with him resolve them.
    Okay.. I think I will show him this thread.. Thank you for your guidance..
    Andrew Thompson wrote:
    How many f*cking times do I need to answer that same question?!?
    I just want to make sure.. Thank you..

Good day..

Edited by: AID on Mar 9, 2011 7:57 PM
  • 25. Re: can JSAPI work to get count the decibel from voices?
    EJP Guru
    I am sorry if I sound so stupid, well I think I am, umm, what do you mean by real sound or synthesized sounds? Can you please explain it to me?
    A real sound - you already have a .wav file and you have to read it. A synthesised sond - you calculate it as stated by your teacher. But I am through trying to guess what on earth this assignment is actually about. You will have to take it up with him, showing him this thread as exhibit A in the confusion.
    I just want to make sure.
    Asking the same question over and over again does not accomplish that.
  • 26. Re: can JSAPI work to get count the decibel from voices?
    845125 Newbie
    EJP wrote:
    But I am through trying to guess what on earth this assignment is actually about. You will have to take it up with him, showing him this thread as exhibit A in the confusion.
    I already send him an email.. Thank you for your help..
    Asking the same question over and over again does not accomplish that.
    I know.. Thank you for telling me that.. I will keep that in mind..

Good day..

Edited by: AID on Mar 9, 2011 8:24 PM
  • 27. Re: can JSAPI work to get count the decibel from voices?
    captfoss Pro
    Aweful lot of information being thrown around in here.

There's not really any need for the OP to go lower level that JavaSound, JavaSound actually handles the data transfer as sample streams. You open a WAV file using the AudioSystem class, it handles parsing the WAV header and determining the format of the PCM stream, and then gives you access to the sample stream as a byte stream.

You can get the byte stream associated with the PCM data and the format information automatically, but you'll have to take the byte stream and decode it into the sample stream yourself using what JavaSound tells you about the stream. It's not really doing much for you other than parsing the WAV header and then ripping out the PCM data.

I assume by "do re me" you're actually wanting to determine the pitch of the note the user is singing, and not actually recognize the words "do re me"?

Assuming you're wanting to determine the tone of a sound, you're not actually wanting to do a decible calculation (decibles tell you loudness), you're wanting to do a frequency analysis of the tone... which involves taking the sample stream, sending it through a Fourier transform, and then I'd assume determining the highest value in the frequency space.

http://jvalentino2.tripod.com/dft/index.html

The above is a good resource for you. It explains the discrete Fourier transforms in theory and practice, and provides some relevant Java sourcecode to get you started.
  • 28. Re: can JSAPI work to get count the decibel from voices?
    845125 Newbie
    captfoss wrote:
    I assume by "do re me" you're actually wanting to determine the pitch of the note the user is singing, and not actually recognize the words "do re me"?

Assuming you're wanting to determine the tone of a sound, you're not actually wanting to do a decible calculation (decibles tell you loudness), you're wanting to do a frequency analysis of the tone... which involves taking the sample stream, sending it through a Fourier transform, and then I'd assume determining the highest value in the frequency space.
    Yes, you right. I do want to know what kind of tone the user was sing.
    http://jvalentino2.tripod.com/dft/index.html

The above is a good resource for you. It explains the discrete Fourier transforms in theory and practice, and provides some relevant Java sourcecode to get you started.
    I will read and learn about Fourier. Thank you for the reply and guidance.

Good day
1 2 Previous Next

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points