This discussion is archived
1 2 3 4 5 Previous Next 60 Replies Latest reply: Sep 16, 2011 9:02 PM by 888792 Go to original post RSS
  • 15. Re: Instant client segfaults in OS X 10.7
    584908 Oracle ACE
    Currently Being Moderated
    Hello everybody,

I got the same error...

sqlplus /nolog
    Segmentation fault: 11

gdb sqlplus
    GNU gdb 6.3.50-20050815 (Apple version gdb-1705) (Fri Jul 1 10:50:06 UTC 2011)
    Copyright 2004 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
    GDB is free software, covered by the GNU General Public License, and you are
    welcome to change it and/or distribute copies of it under certain conditions.
    Type "show copying" to see the conditions.
    There is absolutely no warranty for GDB. Type "show warranty" for details.
    This GDB was configured as "x86_64-apple-darwin"...Reading symbols for shared libraries ..... done

(gdb) run
    Starting program: /Users/vinicius/oracle/product/10.2.0/client_1/bin/sqlplus
    Reading symbols for shared libraries ++++........................ done

Program received signal EXC_BAD_ACCESS, Could not access memory.
    Reason: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at address: 0x0000000000000000
    0x00000001014ad1e2 in lpmapd ()

I tried to install new Xcode, a new install from Client (Administrator) / RDBMS / Instant Client, and still got the error...
  • 16. Re: Instant client segfaults in OS X 10.7
    463742 Newbie
    Same here, although I have a full Oracle installation (which worked well in Snow Leopard, even if it was a pain to install).

I've tried running relink with the latest Xcode installed; after much messing around to work around hardcoded path to binaries and libraries I get new sqlplus (etc) binaries but still the same error.

Found some amusing comments in Oracle's scripts and makefiles though, eg. messages to 'the buildtools folks' from 2004 suggesting that the hardcoded paths were problematic, 'risky' even. Still there.
  • 17. Re: Instant client segfaults in OS X 10.7
    567968 Newbie
    True - Oracle haven't released a certified version of their DB server on anything later than Leopard.

That isn't such a big deal - I don't know of anyone running a production system based around Oracle on an OS X server, and it's easy enough to install a development database as an Oracle/Linux VM under Virtualbox, Fusion or Parallels. (A lot easier than installing Oracle on OS X ever was).

My guess is that this is the recommended migration route - although I wish Oracle would be clear that 10.2 on Leopard is the final OS X version.

However, Instant Client is a different matter. I rely on Instant Client for connecting from OS X to my Oracle VM, and there are plenty of products out there - including Django - that are dependent on having a working Instant Client to connect to Oracle.

I do think they need to pay a bit more attention to people developing on OS X - getting a Pro*C compilation environment working under 10.6 is a nightmare, and it looks like there's been plenty of notice of this issue from beta testers. I'm more likely to go postgres for my development DB than change over to Linux so I can access Oracle without problems.

On the flipside, I never even knew when the Intel and 64-bit Intel clients were released. I'm really glad they produced them, but they really need better communication over releases. And the lack of any official input in the forum is equally telling.

Anyway, hoping it won't be too long, and Oracle have just been waiting for an official 10.7 release before updating the Instant Client.
  • 18. Re: Instant client segfaults in OS X 10.7
    jkallman Employee ACE
    I only rely upon the instant client for sqlplus. And after upgrading to Mac OS X Lion, I encountered the very same segmentation fault. I was using the 64-bit client.

Thanks to some recommendations, I tried the 32-bit client and it works fine on OS X Lion. I'm not sure how feasible that is for others reporting issues on here, but it may be an alternative until there is a supported OS X Lion client available from Oracle.

Joel
  • 19. Re: Instant client segfaults in OS X 10.7
    877221 Newbie
    Joel,

You're an absolute life saver. As suggest, I replaced the 64-bit version of the files with the 32-bit version and everything work as it should.

Thank you,

-Jim
  • 20. Re: Instant client segfaults in OS X 10.7
    877244 Newbie
    Please,
    Can you give a step by step of how you did this and where to get the files from? Thanks, much appreciated.
  • 21. Re: Instant client segfaults in OS X 10.7
    877221 Newbie
    Hi,

The URL for the Mac client is: http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/topics/intel-macsoft-096467.html

On this page, there are two groupings of client files - the 32 bit version (on top) and the 64 bit version (below that). From the top grouping, download the libraries (Instant Client Package - Basic: All files required to run...) and the SQL*Plus client (Instant Client Package - SQL*Plus: Additional libraries...)

Unzip everything into a single directory and you should be able to run the client after that.

A few environment variables that are important (I have them in my .bash_profile file):

export DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH=/Applications/Utilities/instantclient/
    export ORACLE_HOME=/Applications/Utilities/instantclient/
    export SQLPATH=$ORACLE_HOME

Hope this helps,

-Jim
  • 22. Re: Instant client segfaults in OS X 10.7
    877029 Newbie
    Jim,
    tried your help but unfortunately didn't work for me. Ggggggggggrrrrrrrrr. I'll keep trying.

Rutger
  • 23. Re: Instant client segfaults in OS X 10.7
    877221 Newbie
    Rutger,

What errors are you seeing?

As far as the environment settings I posted, those are based on my having the client files located there (/Applications/Utilities/instantclient/)

-Jim
  • 24. Re: Instant client segfaults in OS X 10.7
    877244 Newbie
    Thanks Jim for your answer! It did work for me! had to do some more things for TNS names but apart from that it worked perfectly.
  • 25. Re: Instant client segfaults in OS X 10.7
    user491422 - oracle Journeyer
    I tried the instructions provided by Jim and they worked well enough for the sqlplus client.

But my real problem is the seg fault issue appears when attempting to start the db. For example, lsnrctl also gives a seg fault issue.

Has anyone been able to work around this issues for OSX Lion 10.7 to get Oracle DB to run on it?

Thanks,

Brian.
  • 26. Re: Instant client segfaults in OS X 10.7
    584908 Oracle ACE
    Joel,

Thanks for the help.

Everybody, Oracle Client for Mac OS X x86 also works.

http://download.oracle.com/otn/mac/oracle10g/10204/Oracle_10204Client_MAC_X86.zip

Thanks

Marcus Vinicius
  • 27. Re: Instant client segfaults in OS X 10.7
    877029 Newbie
    Jim,

I got it to work. My problem was that with the initial install of the instant client I had so much trouble that I, without realising, made two very similar folders with the client (one in /developers/usr/.... and one in /usr/.... The only folder I knew of that contained the client wasn't the folder it was used from. Rookie mistake. This is also the explanation for another thing I wasn't able to work out.

Txs,

Rutger
  • 28. Re: Instant client segfaults in OS X 10.7
    burleigh Newbie
    user564965 wrote:
    [snip]
    However, Instant Client is a different matter. I rely on Instant Client for connecting from OS X to my Oracle VM, and there are plenty of products out there - including Django - that are dependent on having a working Instant Client to connect to Oracle.

I do think they need to pay a bit more attention to people developing on OS X - getting a Pro*C compilation environment working under 10.6 is a nightmare, and it looks like there's been plenty of notice of this issue from beta testers. I'm more likely to go postgres for my development DB than change over to Linux so I can access Oracle without problems.
    [snip]
    Agreed. Not that I expect much much to happen, but I've filed an SR referencing this thread.
  • 29. Re: Instant client segfaults in OS X 10.7
    877029 Newbie
    Marcus,

I tried a couple of things with your suggestion but couldn't get it to work. Which SQLPLUS are you using?

Rutger

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points