1 2 3 4 5 Previous Next 60 Replies Latest reply: Sep 16, 2011 11:02 PM by 888792 Go to original post RSS
      • 30. Re: Instant client segfaults in OS X 10.7
        I got sqlplus 32 bit to work. Unfortunately mu Ruby/Ralls combi required the 64 bit version of SQLPLUS. Seems like a catch 22 and best option for me is to go back to Snow Leopard
        • 31. Re: Instant client segfaults in OS X 10.7
          Hello,

I have the same problem.

I got sqlplus (32 bits) to work but when I try to use oci with php to connect to a Oracle database, it faills.
          • 32. Re: Instant client segfaults in OS X 10.7
            For Ruby programmers, the advice to simply "use the 32-bit lib" is not so easy because of a bug in the 32-bit Ruby build process: ruby-core bug #3353, http://redmine.ruby-lang.org/issues/show/3353

Passing the rvm instruction: rvm_archflags="-arch i386" in the ".rvmrc" configuration file succeeds in getting the ".o" files compiled as 32-bit objects, but the actual compilation of rubylib.dylib itself is attempted as x86_64. Naturally, that attempt fails.
            • 33. You can call Apple
              burleigh
              This broken Instant Client is a severe problem for probably any developer on OS X. My Oracle Service Request produced no new info and no fix. From Oracle's point of view, the client isn't certified for 10.6 or 10.7. My analyst said he'd email Oracle's certification group but, without numbers, it seems unlikely they'll act. And anyway, Apple must have changed something since the client had worked under 10.6, they say. My analyst seemed to hint that Apple's provided a private fix to some people -- though I may have misunderstood him.

Now, you may not have an Oracle support contract so have no voice there. But you do have a way in to Apple. You just bought their Lion update, and that entitles you to 90 days of support. So you can do what I did:

Go here to start a support conversation:
              https://expresslane.apple.com/GetproductgroupList.do?PRKEYS=PL101&locale=en_US

You give the web site your name and Mac serial number. You arrange for a call (mine happened in less than five minutes). You tell your story. You're heard and (more important) you're counted.

Who knows. Maybe somebody at Apple helps us out before we pull out our Snow Leopard DVD.
              • 34. Re: You can call Apple
                Good tip and really the right party to solve the problem. Being from Holland I can't go through that support route though.
                • 35. Re: You can call Apple
                  You got to love these helpdesks. Called Apple support. Their answer: Oracle should update.
                  • 36. Re: You can call Apple
                    I downgraded to Snow Leopard so I can't try this solution http://goo.gl/WjasR anymore. Perhaps somebody can try it.
                    • 37. Re: You can call Apple
                      URL you mentioned was JAVA trouble, can be fixed easily by downloading and installing JRE for OS X Lion. But I think it's nothing to do with "Segmentation fault: 11" error.

I'm facing the same problem, lsnrctl got "Segmentation fault: 11" error, of course the same error occured when I try to start database instance by sqlplus.

Hope oracle will fix it soon. Please don't ignore Mac users.

Edited by: Leyi (Kamus) Zhang on Jul 29, 2011 3:53 AM
                      • 38. Re: You can call Apple
                        burleigh
                        874026 wrote:
                        You got to love these helpdesks. Called Apple support. Their answer: Oracle should update.
                        I was explicit in my call with Apple: I'm a customer of two big companies, and don't want pointing fingers -- my total "experience" of Lion now is one of being interrupted by side issues. They're both right: Oracle's stuff is old and uncertified, and Apple changed some library out from under working software.

I've been told that Oracle's software certification group can be reached at certadmin_us@oracle.com.
                        • 39. My Fix
                          I managed to install and compile REE 32-bit, and now I can do at least some work on Lion.

Here's what I did. Note that I've extracted the Oracle Instant Client x86 at /usr/lib/oracle/instantclient_10_2-i386.

Reinstalled RVM (optional):
                          rvm implode
                          bash < <(curl -s https://rvm.beginrescueend.com/install/rvm)
                          Installed REE using the gcc compiler, the 32-bit instant client, and several 32-bit flags.
                          export CC=/usr/bin/gcc-4.2
                          export DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/oracle/instantclient_10_2-i386
                          rvm_archflags="-arch i386" CFLAGS='-m32' CXXFLAGS='-m32' LDFLAGS='-m32' rvm install ree
                          rvm_archflags="-arch i386" CFLAGS='-m32' CXXFLAGS='-m32' LDFLAGS='-m32' gem install ruby-oci8
                          The source for those flags is: http://beginrescueend.com/support/troubleshooting/
                          • 40. Re: My Fix
                            Hello,

Has anyone been able to compile oci with the oracle instant client 32 bits?

Regards,
                            • 41. Re: My Fix
                              Once I got the 32-bit client working, Ruby-OCI installed with any problems.
                              • 42. Re: My Fix
                                Unfortunately, I couldn't install ruby-oci8 on 64 bit version of Lion and Ruby 1.9.2.
                                Did you achieve result on 64 bit version of Mac OS X Lion, Ruby and 32 bit version of Oracle Instant Client?

gem install ruby-oci8

Building native extensions. This could take a while...
                                ERROR: Error installing ruby-oci8:
                                     ERROR: Failed to build gem native extension.

/Users/dev-user/.rvm/rubies/ruby-1.9.2-p290/bin/ruby extconf.rb
                                checking for load library path...
                                DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH...
                                checking /usr/local/oracle/instantclient_10_2... skip: /usr/local/oracle/instantclient_10_2/libclntsh.dylib.10.1 is for i386 cpu.
                                looks like an instant client.
                                checking for cc... ok
                                checking for gcc... yes
                                checking for LP64... yes
                                checking for ruby header... ok
                                checking for OCIInitialize() in oci.h... no
                                *** extconf.rb failed ***
                                Could not create Makefile due to some reason, probably lack of
                                necessary libraries and/or headers. Check the mkmf.log file for more
                                details. You may need configuration options.
                                • 43. Re: My Fix
                                  @f****:> Installation of REE using:
                                  > rvm_archflags="-arch i386" CFLAGS='-m32' CXXFLAGS='-m32' LDFLAGS='-m32' rvm install ree

REE, Ruby Enterprise Edition, is Ruby 1.8.7 recompiled in March of 2011. There is no 1.9.2 REE yet.
                                  So if your app uses Ruby 1.9 - specific features, you remain dead in the water.

Attempting to install 1.9.2 with the same set of "@f****" compiler flags continues to fail in the same way.

jcotter:> Once I got the 32-bit client working, Ruby-OCI installed with any problems.

On which operating system?

Does "uname -a" report i386, or x86_64 on your system?

My opinion on Apple vs Oracle is that Apple warned third-party software vendors that both Snow Leopard and Lion were major releases that changed some library APIs. More than a dozen apps on my Mac required Lion updates - that's why developers get pre-release system distributions long in advance of general release. Making old APIs obsolete is important to maintaining system stability and security. I consider perpetual support of old interfaces reckless - they end up being unmaintained vulnerabilities, forgotten until exploited in some unforeseen way. This is exactly what is meant by "minimizing the vulnerability surface".
                                  • 44. Re: My Fix
                                    burleigh
                                    user11177893 wrote:
                                    @f****:> Installation of REE using:
                                    rvm_archflags="-arch i386" CFLAGS='-m32' CXXFLAGS='-m32' LDFLAGS='-m32' rvm install ree
                                    REE, Ruby Enterprise Edition, is Ruby 1.8.7 recompiled in March of 2011. There is no 1.9.2 REE yet.
                                    So if your app uses Ruby 1.9 - specific features, you remain dead in the water.
                                    Attempting to install 1.9.2 with the same set of "@f****" compiler flags continues to fail in the same way.
                                    I was never able to get a successful REE install, either.
                                    jcotter:> Once I got the 32-bit client working, Ruby-OCI installed with any problems.

On which operating system?
                                    I never got a working 32 bit Ruby 1.9.2, either -- there are 32 v 64 bit object -> library linking problems in the Ruby build system that seem low-priority to the Ruby community with those flags. I gave up after several fruitless hours. I can understand why the Ruby guys don't prioritize this higher: 32 bit stuff is all old now.
                                    Does "uname -a" report i386, or x86_64 on your system?

My opinion on Apple vs Oracle is that Apple warned third-party software vendors that both Snow Leopard and Lion were major releases that changed some library APIs. More than a dozen apps on my Mac required Lion updates - that's why developers get pre-release system distributions long in advance of general release. Making old APIs obsolete is important to maintaining system stability and security. I consider perpetual support of old interfaces reckless - they end up being unmaintained vulnerabilities, forgotten until exploited in some unforeseen way. This is exactly what is meant by "minimizing the vulnerability surface".
                                    Well said. Oracle should say whether they support the OS X platform for client work or not.

Me, I've begun to explore JRuby -- because there's real work to be done.