1 2 Previous Next 22 Replies Latest reply: Jan 31, 2012 7:19 AM by Tridus RSS

ODAC 11.2.0.2.30 Beta Entity Framework and Data drivers list in the wizard

Troopers
      Hi all,

I have installed the new ODAC 11.2.0.2.30 which support Entity Framework
      I have checked that the Oracle.DataAccess.dll is in the GAC of the Framework 4.0
      but the Oracle Data provider is not listed in the Entity Data Model Wizard to create a connection

How to do to see the data provider in the wizard?
        • 1. Re: ODAC 11.2.0.2.30 Beta Entity Framework and Data drivers list in the wizard
          Alex.Keh .Product.Manager-Oracle
          Can you create an ODP.NET connection to Oracle through Visual Studio Server Explorer?

Follow the "Creating an Oracle Connection" section of this tutorial to see how:
          http://www.oracle.com/webfolder/technetwork/tutorials/obe/db/dotnet/buildingnetapplications/BuildingNETApplications.htm

Once you can create a connection through Server Explorer, you'll have pre-populated connections in your EDM wizard.
          • 2. Re: ODAC 11.2.0.2.30 Beta Entity Framework and Data drivers list in the wizard
            Troopers
            Hi,

I can not create an ODP.net connection through the VS server explorer.
            The driver is not listed
            I can only create a connection with the .Net Framework Data Provider for Oracle which is deprecated in the Framework 4.0
            • 3. Re: ODAC 11.2.0.2.30 Beta Entity Framework and Data drivers list in the wizard
              I assume you had VS 2010 installed prior to installing Oracle Developer Tools for Visual Studio that is part of the beta. If so, then I'm not sure what the problem could be. My recommendation would be to try installing the beta again.
              • 4. Re: ODAC 11.2.0.2.30 Beta Entity Framework and Data drivers list in the wizard
                Troopers
                I have reinstalled ODT for VS. the issue is the same...

I have Microsoft Visual Studio Web Develeopper 2010 Express.
                The data providers list contains only :
                - Data Provider .Net Framework for ODBC
                - Data Provider .Net Framework for Oracle
                - Data Provider .Net Framework for oledb
                - Data Provider .Net Framework for SQL Server

I have also Visual Studio 2008 Professional Edition. With this EDI I have the ODP.Net provider in the data providers list and it work when i use it.

I have checked the machine.config file in the Framework v4 and v2 and checked the assembly version in DbProviderFactories :
                <add name="Oracle Data Provider for .NET" invariant="Oracle.DataAccess.Client" description="Oracle Data Provider for .NET" type="Oracle.DataAccess.Client.OracleClientFactory, Oracle.DataAccess, Version=2.112.2.30, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=89b483f429c47342" />

and for the v4

<add name="Oracle Data Provider for .NET" invariant="Oracle.DataAccess.Client" description="Oracle Data Provider for .NET" type="Oracle.DataAccess.Client.OracleClientFactory, Oracle.DataAccess, Version=4.112.2.30, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=89b483f429c47342" />

I have checked the GAC
                I have searched another machine.config file and found in winsxs and edited them to add Oracle Data Provider for .NET
                => but none result

Have you another idea?
                • 5. Re: ODAC 11.2.0.2.30 Beta Entity Framework and Data drivers list in the wizard
                  Troopers
                  I have tried a sample project with this code

class FactorySample
                  {
                  static void Main()
                  {
                  using (DataTable providers = DbProviderFactories.GetFactoryClasses())
                  {
                  Console.WriteLine("Available Data Providers:");
                  foreach (DataRow prov in providers.Rows)
                  {
                  Console.WriteLine("Name:{0}", prov["Name"]);
                  Console.WriteLine("Description:{0}", prov["Description"]);
                  Console.WriteLine("Invariant Name:{0}", prov["InvariantName"]);
                  }
                  }
                  DbProviderFactory factory =
                  DbProviderFactories.GetFactory("Oracle.DataAccess.Client");
                  }

The Oracle.DataAccess.Client was listed by the GetFactoryClasses method but the GetFactory method failed :"Failed to find or load the registered .Net Framework Data Provider."
                  So I have changed the name of the DBProviderfactory in all the machine.config files
                  a distinguish name in each file to know which is loaded.
                  I had four machine.config files for framework x86 v2, framework x86 v4, framework x64 v2 and framework x64 v4
                  I have saw that the loaded file was the file for framework x64 v4
                  This file had the node below in DbProviderFactories :
                  <add name="Oracle Data Provider for .NET" invariant="Oracle.DataAccess.Client" description="Oracle Data Provider for .NET" type="Oracle.DataAccess.Client.OracleClientFactory, Oracle.DataAccess, Version=4.112.2.30, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=89b483f429c47342" />
                  So, i have removed this node because the assembly is not a x64 version
                  Then it was the file for the framework x86 v4, this file had the same node in DbProviderFactories
                  With this the GetFactory method works normally

But in the server explorer window, if i create a new connection the ODP.Net is not present.
                  Why?
                  • 6. Re: ODAC 11.2.0.2.30 Beta Entity Framework and Data drivers list in the wizard
                    Christian.Shay -Oracle
                    You aren't using Express Edition of VS2010 are you?

During the ODAC beta installation, did you get a dialog box that offered you the Visual Studio versions on your machine. From your description, you should get one that has both VS2008 and VS2010 listed.
                    • 7. Re: ODAC 11.2.0.2.30 Beta Entity Framework and Data drivers list in the wizard
                      Christian.Shay -Oracle
                      Troopers wrote:
                      I have tried a sample project with this code

class FactorySample
                      {
                      static void Main()
                      {
                      using (DataTable providers = DbProviderFactories.GetFactoryClasses())
                      {
                      Console.WriteLine("Available Data Providers:");
                      foreach (DataRow prov in providers.Rows)
                      {
                      Console.WriteLine("Name:{0}", prov["Name"]);
                      Console.WriteLine("Description:{0}", prov["Description"]);
                      Console.WriteLine("Invariant Name:{0}", prov["InvariantName"]);
                      }
                      }
                      DbProviderFactory factory =
                      DbProviderFactories.GetFactory("Oracle.DataAccess.Client");
                      }

The Oracle.DataAccess.Client was listed by the GetFactoryClasses method but the GetFactory method failed :"Failed to find or load the registered .Net Framework Data Provider."
                      So I have changed the name of the DBProviderfactory in all the machine.config files
                      a distinguish name in each file to know which is loaded.
                      I had four machine.config files for framework x86 v2, framework x86 v4, framework x64 v2 and framework x64 v4
                      I have saw that the loaded file was the file for framework x64 v4
                      This file had the node below in DbProviderFactories :
                      So, i have removed this node because the assembly is not a x64 version
                      Then it was the file for the framework x86 v4, this file had the same node in DbProviderFactories
                      With this the GetFactory method works normally

But in the server explorer window, if i create a new connection the ODP.Net is not present.
                      Why?
                      The visual studio tools require the 32 bit version of ODAC be installed, including the Oracle Developer Tools for Visual Studio component. This is the component that will open a dialog box during the install asking you which version of Visual Studio you wish to integrate with.

It is not enough to simply have ODP.NET on the machine.
                      • 8. Re: ODAC 11.2.0.2.30 Beta Entity Framework and Data drivers list in the wizard
                        Troopers
                        I have installed this ODAC version : [http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/topics/dotnet/downloads/oracleefbeta-302521.html|http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/topics/dotnet/downloads/oracleefbeta-302521.html]
                        The install has not open a dialog box asking me which version of Visual Studio I wish to integrate with.
                        I was an older version installed before (that i have uninstalled) and integrated in Visual Studio 2008

Now, I use Visual Web Developer 2010 Express
                        • 9. Re: ODAC 11.2.0.2.30 Beta Entity Framework and Data drivers list in the wizard
                          Christian.Shay -Oracle
                          I'm sorry to say that Visual Studio Express Editions do not support add-ins. So you cannot use the tools.

You can still use ODP.NET from code, but no visual studio designers or tools.
                          • 12. Re: ODAC 11.2.0.2.30 Beta Entity Framework and Data drivers list in the wizard
                            Hi!
                            I have the same problem. But - VS2010 ultimate, Oracle 11g, ODP NET 11.2.0.21. In the VS Server explorer I can connect to ORACLE DB without problem but in VS Entity data model wizard I can see only 2 Data provider - .Net Framework Data provider for SQL Server and .Net Framework Data provider for SQL Server Compact 3.5.
                            Can you help me?
                            Thank's.
                            • 13. Re: ODAC 11.2.0.2.30 Beta Entity Framework and Data drivers list in the wizard
                              Christian.Shay -Oracle
                              user1871632 wrote:
                              Hi!
                              I have the same problem. But - VS2010 ultimate, Oracle 11g, ODP NET 11.2.0.21. In the VS Server explorer I can connect to ORACLE DB without problem but in VS Entity data model wizard I can see only 2 Data provider - .Net Framework Data provider for SQL Server and .Net Framework Data provider for SQL Server Compact 3.5.
                              Can you help me?
                              Thank's.
                              Did you install "Oracle Developer Tools for Visual Studio"?
                              • 14. Re: ODAC 11.2.0.2.30 Beta Entity Framework and Data drivers list in the wizard
                                You need ODP.NET and ODT version 11.2.0.2.30, not 11.2.0.2.1. 11.2.0.2.30 contains EF-specific functionality. In addition, you must you .NET Framework 4 with EF. The Oracle beta doesn't support EF with .NET 3.5.
                                1 2 Previous Next