This discussion is archived
6 Replies Latest reply: Mar 14, 2011 8:38 AM by Duncan Casemore RSS

Dataload

christm31 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi

Has anyone used the tool Dataload to create new positions from a spreadsheet in Oracle?

Thanks

Martin
  • 1. Re: Dataload
    Duncan Casemore Expert
    I've used DataLoad loads of times - although not for creating Position data. It's pretty good and mostly reliable - although it's a little annoying sitting there while it consumes your PC!

DataLoad provide a bunch of sample templates to get you going. Check out the Creating positions template from here:

http://www.dataload.com/downloads/spreadsheets/index.html
  • 2. Re: Dataload
    christm31 Newbie
    Thanks for that. I've managed to create a Dataload to upload the positions.
    However, these positions aren't available for selection in the Person Assignment screen.
    i.e when I go into the Assignment, I usually select an Organization and then within Position I can see a LOV of any positions within that Org. However I'm not seeing these new positions.

Is there a concurrent job I need to run or something after creating the positions?

Many thanks

Martin
  • 3. Re: Dataload
    Duncan Casemore Expert
    A few things to check:

1) Is the Effective Date of the position beyond the effective start date of the assignment when you're allocating this position
    2) Is the Organization and Job on the Position exactly the same as the Organization and Job on the employee's assignment?
    3) Do you have access to that position through your Security Profile? You might assign yourself the 'View All' security profile or run Security List Maintenance to check its accessible.
    4) Is it definitely in the same Business Group (I imagine you only have one, so this seems unlikely)
  • 4. Re: Dataload
    christm31 Newbie
    Once again thanks! I didn't realise you had to manually change the job as well to be able to see the positions within that org/job combo.

Thanks

Martin
  • 5. Re: Dataload
    christm31 Newbie
    It was all going so well with the create positions!!! And then I started to try and use dataload to manually change employee's assignments.
    Sometimes after selecting the position, I get a message saying that the new position has default values that are different to the current person - do I want to accept default values?

I never want to accept the default values for the position, I always want to keep the values held against the person's previous assignment. My problem is that this message only sometimes appears (depending on what I'm changing from/to), so I can't run a structured dataload.

Is there a profile option or something somewhere that I can use to turn off this message and never accept the default values for a position?

Thanks

Martin
  • 6. Re: Dataload
    Duncan Casemore Expert
    There's no profile option or anything that I know of. That's one of the disadvantages with Data Loader.

Is there something you could build into the Data Loader so that the keypress fires even when the warning doesn't display? For example, space bar, enter key? Alt+O (if that's the shortcut key for Okay).

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points