This discussion is archived
1 2 Previous Next 22 Replies Latest reply: Mar 30, 2011 11:28 PM by 851812 Go to original post RSS
  • 15. Re: Starter?
    BluShadow Guru Moderator
    Currently Being Moderated
    Boneist wrote:
    BluShadow wrote:
    This...
    Munky wrote:
    I reckon 'A Date with Codd' may be in order
    Oh, I see, a pune, or play on words. *{;-)
    Either that or Munky thinks you're in need of a date with our old friend Codd. Not sure why he would suggest that. :D
    Who isn't?! *{;-)
    Looks like we'll have to ask for the creation of an Oracle dating sub-forum then... :D
  • 16. Re: Starter?
    BluShadow Guru Moderator
    Just saw this on your blog Boneist...

>
    Mind you, Tom isn't the only one to have helped mould my views on Oracle, SQL and PL/SQL (eg. Jonathan Lewis, Doug, Billy Verreynne and BluShadow to name but a few)
    >

Awwww, you're too kind. {noformat}*smoochies hug*{noformat}
  • 17. Re: Starter?
    Boneist Guru
    BluShadow wrote:
    Looks like we'll have to ask for the creation of an Oracle dating sub-forum then...
    Sounds like we've already got one...?!:
    Awwww, you're too kind. {noformat}*smoochies hug*{noformat}
    *{;-)                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           
  • 18. Re: Starter?
    776016 Newbie
    Thanks blushadow
  • 19. Re: Starter?
    jgarry Guru
    Boneist wrote:
    BluShadow wrote:
    There's no point learning the language to query data if you don't understand how the data is stored in the first place. ;)
    Oh dear; that's where I started from... the background bits got added in over time, after I'd learnt a bit of SQL!
    I can't tell you how much frustration I've had over the years dealing with people who never got the background bits added in.
  • 20. Re: Starter?
    Boneist Guru
    jgarry wrote:
    I can't tell you how much frustration I've had over the years dealing with people who never got the background bits added in.
    I was very lucky to have worked with people who trained me well (well, that and the 2 week (very general) graduate training course which included (very randomly) some stuff on 3rd Normal Form!).

However, when I learnt SQL, I was an analyst/tester/3rd level support dude and mainly did selects, with some updates / deletes, so I'd argue that knowing the background stuff was not so necessary (beyond the basics of pk's, fks, etc etc, all of which are fairly obvious with the use of a GUI like Toad).

I only started getting into asktom (= learning A LOT!) when I was given the opportunity to become a PL/SQL developer, and then I got a mentor who taught me lots about the PL/SQL side but also the underlying stuff. After a while I joined the forums and... well, the rest is history *{;-)

I know there are people who say you can't learn from others experiences (*coughcough* thinking of absolutely noone in particular...) but I can honestly say that I've learnt tonnes from hanging round the SQL & PL/SQL forum, reading and helping out where I could. It's a shame that more people don't do the same, I think it's an invaluable self-training tool!
  • 21. Re: Starter?
    BluShadow Guru Moderator
    Boneist wrote:
    However, when I learnt SQL, I was an analyst/tester/3rd level support dude
    Jessie J, "Do it like a dude" Lyrics:Do it do it like a dude
    Do it do it low like you
    Do it do it like a dude
    Do it do it - do it like a dude
    :D
    and mainly did selects, with some updates / deletes, so I'd argue that knowing the background stuff was not so necessary (beyond the basics of pk's, fks, etc etc, all of which are fairly obvious with the use of a GUI like Toad).

I only started getting into asktom (= learning A LOT!) when I was given the opportunity to become a PL/SQL developer, and then I got a mentor who taught me lots about the PL/SQL side but also the underlying stuff. After a while I joined the forums and... well, the rest is history *{;-)
    Yep, the bobble hat has stuck. :)
    I know there are people who say you can't learn from others experiences (*coughcough* thinking of absolutely noone in particular...)
    LOL! Haven't seen him around much lately.
    but I can honestly say that I've learnt tonnes from hanging round the SQL & PL/SQL forum, reading and helping out where I could. It's a shame that more people don't do the same, I think it's an invaluable self-training tool!
    Couldn't agree more.
  • 22. Re: Starter?
    851812 Newbie
    The best way to learn web based technologies is to follow the original manuals. Like php.net documentation for PHP, mysql documentation from mysql.com. But if you are a beginner, the kind of way these manuals are written, may be difficult to follow. As far as learning basics of SQL is concerned, you must follow a SQL standard, like SQL 2003, the most recent one. Unfortunately w3schools don't teach you standards. You can follow w3resource.com. This site has a great [url http://www.w3resource.com/sql/tutorials.php] SQL tutorial based on SQL 2003 standard. 
    Edited by: 848809 on Mar 30, 2011 11:20 PM

Edited by: 848809 on Mar 30, 2011 11:22 PM

Edited by: 848809 on Mar 30, 2011 11:25 PM
1 2 Previous Next

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points