1 2 Previous Next 22 Replies Latest reply: Mar 31, 2011 1:28 AM by 851812 Go to original post RSS
      • 15. Re: Starter?
        BluShadow
        Boneist wrote:
        BluShadow wrote:
        This...
        Munky wrote:
        I reckon 'A Date with Codd' may be in order
        Oh, I see, a pune, or play on words. *{;-)
        Either that or Munky thinks you're in need of a date with our old friend Codd. Not sure why he would suggest that. :D
        Who isn't?! *{;-)
        Looks like we'll have to ask for the creation of an Oracle dating sub-forum then... :D
        • 16. Re: Starter?
          BluShadow
          Just saw this on your blog Boneist...

>
          Mind you, Tom isn't the only one to have helped mould my views on Oracle, SQL and PL/SQL (eg. Jonathan Lewis, Doug, Billy Verreynne and BluShadow to name but a few)
          >

Awwww, you're too kind. {noformat}*smoochies hug*{noformat}
          • 17. Re: Starter?
            Boneist
            BluShadow wrote:
            Looks like we'll have to ask for the creation of an Oracle dating sub-forum then...
            Sounds like we've already got one...?!:
            Awwww, you're too kind. {noformat}*smoochies hug*{noformat}
            *{;-)                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           
            • 18. Re: Starter?
              Thanks blushadow
              • 19. Re: Starter?
                jgarry
                Boneist wrote:
                BluShadow wrote:
                There's no point learning the language to query data if you don't understand how the data is stored in the first place. ;)
                Oh dear; that's where I started from... the background bits got added in over time, after I'd learnt a bit of SQL!
                I can't tell you how much frustration I've had over the years dealing with people who never got the background bits added in.
                • 20. Re: Starter?
                  Boneist
                  jgarry wrote:
                  I can't tell you how much frustration I've had over the years dealing with people who never got the background bits added in.
                  I was very lucky to have worked with people who trained me well (well, that and the 2 week (very general) graduate training course which included (very randomly) some stuff on 3rd Normal Form!).

However, when I learnt SQL, I was an analyst/tester/3rd level support dude and mainly did selects, with some updates / deletes, so I'd argue that knowing the background stuff was not so necessary (beyond the basics of pk's, fks, etc etc, all of which are fairly obvious with the use of a GUI like Toad).

I only started getting into asktom (= learning A LOT!) when I was given the opportunity to become a PL/SQL developer, and then I got a mentor who taught me lots about the PL/SQL side but also the underlying stuff. After a while I joined the forums and... well, the rest is history *{;-)

I know there are people who say you can't learn from others experiences (*coughcough* thinking of absolutely noone in particular...) but I can honestly say that I've learnt tonnes from hanging round the SQL & PL/SQL forum, reading and helping out where I could. It's a shame that more people don't do the same, I think it's an invaluable self-training tool!
                  • 21. Re: Starter?
                    BluShadow
                    Boneist wrote:
                    However, when I learnt SQL, I was an analyst/tester/3rd level support dude
                    Jessie J, "Do it like a dude" Lyrics:Do it do it like a dude
                    Do it do it low like you
                    Do it do it like a dude
                    Do it do it - do it like a dude
                    :D
                    and mainly did selects, with some updates / deletes, so I'd argue that knowing the background stuff was not so necessary (beyond the basics of pk's, fks, etc etc, all of which are fairly obvious with the use of a GUI like Toad).

I only started getting into asktom (= learning A LOT!) when I was given the opportunity to become a PL/SQL developer, and then I got a mentor who taught me lots about the PL/SQL side but also the underlying stuff. After a while I joined the forums and... well, the rest is history *{;-)
                    Yep, the bobble hat has stuck. :)
                    I know there are people who say you can't learn from others experiences (*coughcough* thinking of absolutely noone in particular...)
                    LOL! Haven't seen him around much lately.
                    but I can honestly say that I've learnt tonnes from hanging round the SQL & PL/SQL forum, reading and helping out where I could. It's a shame that more people don't do the same, I think it's an invaluable self-training tool!
                    Couldn't agree more.
                    • 22. Re: Starter?
                      The best way to learn web based technologies is to follow the original manuals. Like php.net documentation for PHP, mysql documentation from mysql.com. But if you are a beginner, the kind of way these manuals are written, may be difficult to follow. As far as learning basics of SQL is concerned, you must follow a SQL standard, like SQL 2003, the most recent one. Unfortunately w3schools don't teach you standards. You can follow w3resource.com. This site has a great [url http://www.w3resource.com/sql/tutorials.php] SQL tutorial based on SQL 2003 standard. 
                      Edited by: 848809 on Mar 30, 2011 11:20 PM

Edited by: 848809 on Mar 30, 2011 11:22 PM

Edited by: 848809 on Mar 30, 2011 11:25 PM
                      1 2 Previous Next