1 Reply Latest reply: Mar 17, 2011 12:28 AM by Kamran Agayev A. RSS

Data Pump Export Wizard in TOAD

Hi,
      I am new to the TOAD interface.

I would like to export tables from one DB and import them into another. I plan to use Data Pump Export / Import Wizard in TOAD.

I have toad 9.1 installed on WINDOWS XP and I connect to the UNIX BOX(DB server) using Oracle Client.

I know the data pump process from command line ie $expdp and $impdp.

However I do not have direct access to the UNIX BOX ie the HOST hence would like to use TOAD to do the job.

I would like to know what is the process for this.

How different is it from using data pump from command line.........Using TOAD where would we create the DATAPUMP DIRECTORY?

Can I do it on the local machine?

Basically I would like to know the export/import process using TOAD...with no direct acess to the UNIX BOX.

Thanks in advance.
        • 1. Re: Data Pump Export Wizard in TOAD
          Kamran Agayev A.
          user13517642 wrote:
          Hi,
          I am new to the TOAD interface.

I would like to export tables from one DB and import them into another. I plan to use Data Pump Export / Import Wizard in TOAD.

I have toad 9.1 installed on WINDOWS XP and I connect to the UNIX BOX(DB server) using Oracle Client.

I know the data pump process from command line ie $expdp and $impdp.

However I do not have direct access to the UNIX BOX ie the HOST hence would like to use TOAD to do the job.

I would like to know what is the process for this.

How different is it from using data pump from command line.........Using TOAD where would we create the DATAPUMP DIRECTORY?

Can I do it on the local machine?

Basically I would like to know the export/import process using TOAD...with no direct acess to the UNIX BOX.

Thanks in advance.
          I don't think you can do it with TOAD withouth physically copying the file to the remote host. However, you have one more option. You can use database link to load the data *without copying it to the remote host" using NETWORK_LINK parameter as it's described below:

For export:
          http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b14215/dp_export.htm#sthref144
          The NETWORK_LINK parameter initiates an export using a database link. This means that the system to which the expdp client is connected contacts the source database referenced by the source_database_link, retrieves data from it, and writes the data to a dump file set back on the connected system.

For imprt:
          http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b14215/dp_import.htm#sthref320
          The NETWORK_LINK parameter initiates a network import. This means that the impdp client initiates the import request, typically to the local database. That server contacts the remote source database referenced by source_database_link, retrieves the data, and writes it directly back to the target database. There are no dump files involved.

Kamran Agayev A.
          Oracle ACE
          - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
          My Oracle Video Tutorials - http://kamranagayev.wordpress.com/oracle-video-tutorials/