1 2 3 4 Previous Next 56 Replies Latest reply: Apr 5, 2011 7:41 AM by Priyanka Pawar RSS

Installation of Oracle EBS R12 on Linux x86

Priyanka Pawar
      Hi,

I want to start installation of Oracle EBS R12 on Oracle enterprise Linux (version 5.6), downloaded s/w. As doing this 1st time can anyone help me how to create staging area in detail and how to check pre-installation checks for OS like Kernel parameters and packages etc.

Reply awaited.
        • 1. Re: Installation of Oracle EBS R12 on Linux x86
          Hussein Sawwan-Oracle
          For staging the installation files, refer to (Using Electronic Delivery With Rapid Install in Oracle E-Business Suite Release 12 [ID 406138.1]).

To verify the integrity of the stage area directory before starting the installation, refer to (MD5 Checksums for R12.1.1 Rapid Install Media [ID 802195.1]).

For 12.1.1 installation, refer to:

Oracle Applications Installation Guide: Using Rapid Install
          http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B53825_03/current/acrobat/121oaig.pdf

Oracle E-Business Suite Installation and Upgrade Notes Release 12 (12.1.1) for Linux x86 [ID 761564.1]

Thanks,
          Hussein
          • 2. Re: Installation of Oracle EBS R12 on Linux x86
            Priyanka Pawar
            Thanks for reply... I have gone through those document, to create staging area they have suggested steps, which are not cleared to me.. like to create staging directory 1st step is to run the script adatostg.pl ,where do i get this scrpit in Oracle EBS R12 "Start here" installation bundle ? it contains 4 parts like disk 1,2 ... 4.

So I need to collect them into one folder n then have to run that script? please guide...
            • 3. Re: Installation of Oracle EBS R12 on Linux x86
              Hussein Sawwan-Oracle
              The staging script is required if you have the R12 software on CDs/DVDs only. I understand from your first post that you have downloaded the software and in this case you do not need to use the staging script. Just create a directory (i.e. /u01/StageR12) and copy all the downloaded files to this directory, then extract the files and this will create the staging area directory for you -- This is explained in Note: 406138.1 referenced above.

Thanks,
              Hussein
              • 4. Re: Installation of Oracle EBS R12 on Linux x86
                Priyanka Pawar
                Thats gr8... now it is clear to me... to initiate installation now i can start with creating staging area. What about operating system requirements? how do i check that part. I m using Oracle enterprise Linux 5.6.

Regards,
                Priyanka.
                • 5. Re: Installation of Oracle EBS R12 on Linux x86
                  Hussein Sawwan-Oracle
                  Priyanka Pawar wrote:
                  Thats gr8... now it is clear to me... to initiate installation now i can start with creating staging area. What about operating system requirements? how do i check that part. I m using Oracle enterprise Linux 5.6.
                  It is all documented in Note: 761564.1 (which is referenced above).

Thanks,
                  Hussein
                  • 6. Re: Installation of Oracle EBS R12 on Linux x86
                    Priyanka Pawar
                    Hi,

Thanks for the information. I have gone through Note - 761564.1, for Oracle Linux 5* they told to download package i386, so I need to download it. can u told me how to install this package ?
                    • 7. Re: Installation of Oracle EBS R12 on Linux x86
                      Hussein Sawwan-Oracle
                      Thanks for the information. I have gone through Note - 761564.1, for Oracle Linux 5* they told to download package i386, so I need to download it. can u told me how to install this package ?
                      You can download the DVDs which contain all the OS packages from Oracle e-Delivery website -- https://edelivery.oracle.com/linux

Or, simply use yum utility to download those packages (Google "yum command Linux", "yum install rpm").

Thanks,
                      Hussein
                      • 8. Re: Installation of Oracle EBS R12 on Linux x86
                        Priyanka Pawar
                        Hi Hussien,

Thank a lot, now i have downloaded s/w and know how to create Staging area, verified and installed missing operating system packages. Now the area where i stuck up is, I m new to linux operating system and want to create staging area at mount point /u01/StageR12. But dint get useful information about how to create mount points in Linux. I m working on OEL 5.6

Can you please help me.
                        • 9. Re: Installation of Oracle EBS R12 on Linux x86
                          Hussein Sawwan-Oracle
                          Refer to the admin/install manuals for details about creating mount points -- http://docs.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/5/index.html

Or, try this link -- http://tinyurl.com/6jnnbz8

You may also post your question in the Linux forum -- http://forums.oracle.com/forums/main.jspa?categoryID=84

Thanks,
                          Hussein
                          • 10. Re: Installation of Oracle EBS R12 on Linux x86
                            Priyanka Pawar
                            Hi,
                            Problem of Mount point gets solved.. :) now what i want to ask for just clarification on one point is, i want to do Multi user installation for Oracle EBS R12 i.e. oracle user for Database Node and applmgr for Primary Application Node.

I have created those two users and assigned dba group to them. Now if i want to start installation at Base directory /u01/oracle/VIS and created one more directory for Instace i.e. /u01/oracle/VIS/inst, do i need to change the owner of these directories to "oracle" user or "applmgr" user.
                            • 11. Re: Installation of Oracle EBS R12 on Linux x86
                              Hussein Sawwan-Oracle
                              I have created those two users and assigned dba group to them. Now if i want to start installation at Base directory /u01/oracle/VIS and created one more directory for Instace i.e. /u01/oracle/VIS/inst, do i need to change the owner of these directories to "oracle" user or "applmgr" user.
                              Run RapidWiz as root user and make applmgr the owner of the $INST_TOP directory "/u01/oracle/VIS/inst".

Thanks,
                              Hussein
                              • 12. Re: Installation of Oracle EBS R12 on Linux x86
                                Priyanka Pawar
                                okay, so should i follow following steps,

$ groupadd dba
                                $ useradd –g dba oracle
                                $ passwd oracle
                                $ useradd –g dba applmgr
                                $ passwd applvis

$ mkdir -p /u01/oracle/VIS
                                $ mkdir -p /u01/oracle/VIS/inst
                                $ chown -R applmrg:dba /u01
                                $ chmod -R 775 /u01

and after that will run rapidwiz as root user... m i correct ?
                                • 13. Re: Installation of Oracle EBS R12 on Linux x86
                                  Hussein Sawwan-Oracle
                                  $ groupadd dba
                                  $ useradd –g dba oracle
                                  $ passwd oracle
                                  $ useradd –g dba applmgr
                                  $ passwd applvis
                                  Correct.
                                  $ chown -R applmrg:dba /u01
                                  $ chmod -R 775 /u01
                                  Correct.
                                  $ mkdir -p /u01/oracle/VIS
                                  $ mkdir -p /u01/oracle/VIS/inst

and after that will run rapidwiz as root user... m i correct ?
                                  You do not have to create those directories manually as it will be created for you by RapidWiz.

Thanks,
                                  Hussein
                                  • 14. Re: Installation of Oracle EBS R12 on Linux x86
                                    Priyanka Pawar
                                    ok understood... again small confusion between host names. I gone through Oracle Application installation document there initially we need to define hostname in /etc/hosts file and again while doing installation, for Database Node Configuration and Primary Application Node Configuration we need to provide hostname and Domain name.

I m not confused for Domain name as it's same in all three cases but what about Host name ? Do i need to provide 3 different host names or need to use only one? may be it's silly question but as i had never done this b4 it just comes in my mide ....
                                    1 2 3 4 Previous Next