9 Replies Latest reply: Sep 30, 2013 10:26 AM by $anty RSS

System to EPM 11 Upgrade

user3017122
      Hi,

We are having system 9.3.3 Hyperion environment(933 patched from 931 for Windows7) and we need to upgrade the same to EPM 11.
      Following is architecture spec.

1.Server 1 - HFM
      2.Server 2 - Essbase
      3.Server 3 - Shared Services
      4. Server 4 - Workspace and HSF

Webserver : Apache and Application server : Weblogic
      SSL Enabled
      SQL Server 2005
      Data loading tool : HAL

Just wanted to collect any specific ideas or constraints considering above environment or any issues that may arise?
      Wll we have to reinstall and reconfigure SSL for EPM 11 applications? If EPM 11 doesnt support HAL then what data loading tool should we go for;is it ODI or FDM?

Any suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
        • 1. Re: System to EPM 11 Upgrade
          John A Booth
          I think it would be very risk to attempt an upgrade in place from 9.x -> 11.x with SSL enabled.

If you do need to upgrade in place then I suggest removing SSL, then upgrading, then enabling SSL.

How are you using HAL in your environment currently; if you are using HAL for Essbase I would suggest moving to ODI.

Regards,

John A. Booth
          http://www.metavero.com
          • 2. Re: System to EPM 11 Upgrade
            user3017122
            Thanks John,what are the potential risks involved in moving SSL enabled system 9 to system 11?
            • 3. Re: System to EPM 11 Upgrade
              John A Booth
              I tend to treat the system with "kid gloves" and when you're doing something that only a handful of people do and SSL can be tricky just adding it to an existing system rather than trying to upgrade with it.

If Oracle didn't take an SSL system and upgrade it as part of a test case which I can almost guarantee they didn't then that is where the risk comes into play.

Regards,

John A. Booth
              http://www.metavero.com
              • 4. Re: System to EPM 11 Upgrade
                TonyScalese
                Another data loading option is FDM which can load data to HFM, Essbase (as well as Planning) & HSF. The difference between FDM & ODI in general terms is who is going to own the data load & mapping process. If you prefer the process to be more end user/finance driven, FDM might be worth investigating as it was designed for that audience.

Regarding HAL, you are correct to look for another option. Oracle has end of lifed HAL which means no more development or support.

Edited by: TonyScalese on Mar 22, 2011 11:27 AM
                • 5. Re: System to EPM 11 Upgrade
                  I dont think there is a upgrade path from oracle to migrate from 9.3 to 11.1 ---pl correct me if I err.

Hence it will as good as a new installation with moving the data /etc and reconfig of the users.

data loading --- for multi users verifying and uploading their own data (which may be extracted from the source systems directly or flat files or an interface tables), FDM seems ideal as it allows each user to have data ownership --- something typically preferable in a financial kinda environment. It also has very good and frndly mapping/transformation tools which are easy to maintain
                  • 6. Re: System to EPM 11 Upgrade
                    TonyScalese
                    There is not an upgrade path to 11.1.2.0 but there is to 11.1.1.x
                    • 7. Re: System to EPM 11 Upgrade
                      John A Booth
                      And 11.1.2.1 does support migration path will be released any day however it being so new you may expect to encounter some glitches and/or lessons specific to this release. My suggestion on going 11.1.2.1 is give it 4-6 weeks to mature and see what others have found in that release. Currently on the 11.2.1.0 line we are up to about 16 mandatory patches (Installation/FR/WA/SS/PLN/HFM/FDM/ODI/FCM) depending on which products you use.
                      • 8. Re: System to EPM 11 Upgrade
                        user3017122
                        We have considered system upgrade from 9.3.3 to latest working version EPM 11.1.1.3.
                        The potential risks are :-

1>We have HAL in 933 so 11 version will have ODI instead of HAL.Business is not ready to spend license for FDM due to cost issues.
                        So mappings and data loading for finance users would be a matter of concern.

2>We have SSL enabled in system 9 ;not sure how SSL has to be reconfigured while upgrade to EPM 11.1.1.3

Let me know if anybody has comments over here

Thanks for your valuable inputs and suggestions
                        • 9. Re: System to EPM 11 Upgrade
                          $anty

Hi there,

Did you finish with this migration? If yes, I would like know whether it was inplace or fresh ?

and how SSL thing was handled during migration.

Any reply is appreciated.

Regards,

Santy