This discussion is archived
3 Replies Latest reply: Mar 28, 2011 12:20 AM by EJP RSS

Servlets and Distributive Computing.

850269 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hello. I am in a J2EE class, course name: J2EE Servlets and JSP, and my instructor has assigned a paper for us to write about how Servlets are used in Distributive Computing. The problem is I can find no information about this. As far as I can tell they are not used in Distributive Computing at all. I have found information about RMI and how it is used for this, but that is not what this paper, or this course for that matter, is about. Can anyone lead me to some articles about this. I have Googled this and all I can find are references to books that discuss both subjects separately. Or barring that as a possibility, can I get some official backing that Servlets are not used for this purpose. As it seams my paper may have to be written along these lines.

Edited by: 847266 on Mar 25, 2011 3:47 AM
  • 1. Re: Servlets and Distributive Computing.
    gimbal2 Guru
    Servlets are part of a web environment and a web environment CAN be applied for distributed computing. So don't focus on Servlets, they are just a means to an end. Focus on the web in general. How is the web used in distributed computing solutions? I think you'll find more answers there.

On top of that Servlets are executed using the Java platform. I'm pretty sure you can find some thousands of resources talking about Java and distributed computing.
  • 2. Re: Servlets and Distributive Computing.
    850269 Newbie
    Except for the assignment is very specifically how Servlets are used in Distributive Computing not how Java is used in it... It is not a general subject the paper's requirements are very specific. I can find a wealth of research on RMI and how it is used in distributive computing, but if I write about that I will fail this paper. The instructions are very VERY specific:

"Write a paper explaining how Java Servlets are used in Distributed Computing. Explain the advantages and disadvantages of using Sevlets. Pick one Distributed Computing System in use today and explain how it's used, what its problems are, why it's important and discuss any future plans on improving it; then explain in-depth how you would develop that same system using a servlet....."

Edited by: Servious on Mar 25, 2011 9:56 PM
  • 3. Re: Servlets and Distributive Computing.
    EJP Guru
    As far as I can tell they are not used in Distributive Computing at all.
    That's probably because you're using the wrong term. Servlets are the foundation of Web-based distributed computing in Java. If you haven't learnt that yet you have learnt nothing. And you need to start using the term 'distributed'. There is nothing there about 'distributive', and it is not the same thing.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points