Using
      Glassfish 3.1
      apex_listener.1.1.0.60.10.38

first listener context root: /dev name: apex_dev
      http://10.45.100.10:8081/dev/listenerConfigure
      Works.

deploy second app context root: /test name: apex_test
      http://10.45.100.10:8081/test/listenerConfigure
      The APEX Listener is already configured. Please login as Administrator to access APEX Listener Administration.

In /tmp there is a directory apex. When I set this up before there were separate directories /tmp/apex_dev and /tmp/apex_test.

Any help in why I can't configure a second listener would be appreciated.
        • 1. Re: Listener won't configure second application
          TonieD
          Same configuration same experience.

Second deployment keeps pointing to first configuration, even though I have configured the web.xml to point to different config.dir setting.

Help appreciated!
          • 2. Re: Listener won't configure second application
            Went back to apex_listener.1.0.2.238.15.24.

apex_listener.1.1.0.60.10.38 is a POS
            • 3. Re: Listener won't configure second application
              Colm Divilly-Oracle
              This issue is addressed in release 1.1.1
              • 4. Re: Listener won't configure second application
                jeffb1
                I am having the same problem even with the 1.1.1 listener. I have a SR logged. I will post an update once it is resolved.
                • 5. Re: Listener won't configure second application
                  TonieD
                  1.1.1 listener resolved issue at my site. Had to first undeploy all applications. If there is a application deployed with 1.1.0 listener all new applications keep on inheriting this apex-config.xml location configuration.
                  • 6. Re: Listener won't configure second application
                    Colm Divilly-Oracle
                    Correct, it is essential to undeploy all previous listener instances, and restart the application server. It is also important to remove any existing apex-config.xml that might have been created in one of the default locations, for example ${java.io.tmpdir/apex/apex-config.xml. If you fail to do either of these then the old configuration will be picked up.

Below are the steps I follow to deploy more that one instance of the listener:

<pre>
                    unzip listener zip file to some temporary folder (/tmp/al)
                    cd /tmp/al
                    mkdir tmp
                    cd tmp
                    unzip ../apex.war
                    cd WEB-INF
                    # edit the web.xml, uncomment config.dir param, set it to wherever you wish to store the config data e.g.: /home/cdivilly/al
                    zip -r ../apex1.war .
                    cd ..
                    cp apex1.war apex2.war
                    </pre>

I then deploy apex1.war and apex2.war to the application server in the usual fashion, and finally navigate to http://server:port/apex1/listenerConfigure and then http://server:port/apex2/listenerConfigure                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               
                    • 7. Re: Listener won't configure second application
                      Thanks Colm,

Your explanation helped a lot.
                      I could successfully install several listener instances for Apex in multiple databases and a separate listener instance for the Oracle Repository Object Browser (ROB) of Oracle designer.
                      I have tested it with Oracle Weblogic and Apache Tomcat (Yes, I know it's not supported by Oracle, but so much easier and quicker).
                      The trick lies in that every listener instance must have it's own war file. The name of the war file will be the DAD part of the URL.

What I am missing is a chapter in the Installation documentation of the Apex listener about installing multiple listener instances.
                      In the current documentation nothing is mentioned about it, as far as I can see.
                      I think this should be added as soon as possible.
                      It is such a powerful feature of the Apex listener to be able to implement more than one instance.
                      As I already said I can use it not only for Apex but for the ROB as well.

Regards,

Mathieu
                      • 8. Re: Listener won't configure second application
                        jeffb1
                        Deinstalling all deployed applications allowed me to redeploy again successfully. I had to edit the apex_config.xml file to change the setting for maxconnetionreusecount from 50000 to 1000 as noted in note 1310798.1. I had thought this was in the new listener???
                        • 9. Re: Listener won't configure second application
                          jamie2teach
                          Colm,

When you say

# edit the web.xml, uncomment config.dir param, set it to wherever you wish to store the config data.

I have the following -

<!--
                          <context-param>
                          <param-name>config.dir</param-name>
                          <param-value>/u01/app/oracle/product/as_1/apex_listener/apex1</param-value>
                          </context-param>
                          -->

but it does not change when deploying.

when I start the oc4j instance, it loads the config for the listener but from the default /tmp/apex/apex-config.xml

Am I editing the web.xml correctly?

Thanks,

Jamie.
                          • 10. Re: Listener won't configure second application
                            Udo
                            Jamie,

you need to /uncomment/ the parameter by removing the comment tags:
                            *<!--* starts the comment (like /* in some programming languages)
                            and --> closes it again.
                            Taking exactly the section you posted, the result would be
                            <context-param>
                            <param-name>config.dir</param-name>
                            <param-value>/u01/app/oracle/product/as_1/apex_listener/apex1</param-value>
                            </context-param>
                            -Udo
                            • 11. Re: Listener won't configure second application
                              jamie2teach
                              Yeah that is what I did but it still loading the same config file. I have un-deployed and followed Colm's instructions to the letter

Here is the output;

Starting OC4J from /u01/oracle/product/10.1.3.1/as_1/j2ee/home ...
                              Jun 28, 2011 2:01:44 PM com.evermind.server.XMLDataSourcesConfig parseRootNode
                              INFO: Legacy datasource detected...attempting to convert to new syntax.
                              11/06/28 14:01:47 WARNING: Code-source /u01/oracle/product/10.1.3.1/as_1/j2ee/home/applications/apex1/apex1/WEB-INF/lib/ojmisc.jar (from WEB-INF/lib/ directory in /u01/oracle/product/10.1.3.1/as_1/j2ee/home/applications/apex1/apex1/WEB-INF/lib) has the same filename but is not identical to /u01/oracle/product/10.1.3.1/as_1/jlib/ojmisc.jar (from <code-source> in META-INF/boot.xml in /u01/oracle/product/10.1.3.1/as_1/j2ee/home/oc4j.jar). If it contains different versions of the same classes, it will be masked as the latter is already visible in the search path of loader apex1.web.apex1:0.0.0.
                              11/06/28 14:01:47 Using config file: /tmp/apex/apex-config.xml
                              11/06/28 14:01:48 -- listing properties --
                              11/06/28 14:01:48 PropertyCheckInterval=60
                              11/06/28 14:01:48 ValidateConnection=true
                              11/06/28 14:01:48 MinLimit=1
                              11/06/28 14:01:48 MaxLimit=10
                              11/06/28 14:01:48 InitialLimit=3
                              11/06/28 14:01:48 AbandonedConnectionTimeout=900
                              11/06/28 14:01:48 MaxStatementsLimit=10
                              11/06/28 14:01:48 InactivityTimeout=1800
                              2011-06-28 14:01:48.026 WARNING Error while registering Oracle JDBC Diagnosability MBean.
                              11/06/28 14:01:48 MaxConnectionReuseCount=1000
                              11/06/28 14:01:48 APEX Listener version : 1.1.2.131.15.23
                              11/06/28 14:01:48 APEX Listener server info: Oracle Containers for J2EE 10g (10.1.3.5.0)
                              11/06/28 14:01:48 WARNING: Code-source /u01/oracle/product/10.1.3.1/as_1/j2ee/home/applications/apex2/apex2/WEB-INF/lib/ojmisc.jar (from WEB-INF/lib/ directory in /u01/oracle/product/10.1.3.1/as_1/j2ee/home/applications/apex2/apex2/WEB-INF/lib) has the same filename but is not identical to /u01/oracle/product/10.1.3.1/as_1/jlib/ojmisc.jar (from <code-source> in META-INF/boot.xml in /u01/oracle/product/10.1.3.1/as_1/j2ee/home/oc4j.jar). If it contains different versions of the same classes, it will be masked as the latter is already visible in the search path of loader apex2.web.apex2:0.0.0.
                              11/06/28 14:01:48 Using config file: /tmp/apex/apex-config.xml
                              11/06/28 14:01:48 -- listing properties --
                              11/06/28 14:01:48 PropertyCheckInterval=60
                              11/06/28 14:01:48 ValidateConnection=true
                              11/06/28 14:01:48 MinLimit=1
                              11/06/28 14:01:48 MaxLimit=10
                              11/06/28 14:01:48 InitialLimit=3
                              11/06/28 14:01:48 AbandonedConnectionTimeout=900
                              11/06/28 14:01:48 MaxStatementsLimit=10
                              11/06/28 14:01:48 InactivityTimeout=1800
                              2011-06-28 14:01:48.475 WARNING Error while registering Oracle JDBC Diagnosability MBean.
                              11/06/28 14:01:48 MaxConnectionReuseCount=1000
                              11/06/28 14:01:48 APEX Listener version : 1.1.2.131.15.23
                              11/06/28 14:01:48 APEX Listener server info: Oracle Containers for J2EE 10g (10.1.3.5.0)
                              11/06/28 14:01:48 Oracle Containers for J2EE 10g (10.1.3.5.0) initialized
                              • 12. Re: Listener won't configure second application
                                Udo
                                Hi Jamie,

okay, I missed to mention a point: You need to copy the existing apex-config.xml to /u01/app/oracle/product/as_1/apex_listener/apex1 first, so the APEX Listener is able to find it there.
                                Of course you need to ensure the OS user on whose behalf your OC4J is running has access to /u01/app/oracle/product/as_1/apex_listener/apex1, but I assume, that's already the case.

-Udo
                                • 13. Re: Listener won't configure second application
                                  jamie2teach
                                  the apex-config.xml from the /tmp/apex directory to the new directory?
                                  1 2 Previous Next