6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 27, 2011 11:19 PM by EJP

installed jdk ... but how do I open it to use it?

hello;

I'm new to java.

I downloaded jdk ( winXP ) ... I expected that it would be an authoring environment, like Flash ... but i can't find anyway to open it.

thanks,
      Shannon
        • 1. Re: installed jdk ... but how do I open it to use it?
          847577 wrote:
          I expected that it would be an authoring environment, like Flash
          If you're going to do any amount of programming, you'll need to learn to check your assumptions.

http://download.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/getStarted/cupojava/index.html
          • 2. Re: installed jdk ... but how do I open it to use it?
            I guess the usage of the phrase 'development Kit' led me to the assumption ...

I am beginning to believe that jdk should be called jbc ==> java background compiler, as in it runs on your OS in the background and then smartly c*ompiles text written in a text editor whenever I snap my fingers 3 times ... am I correct:)                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   
            • 3. Re: installed jdk ... but how do I open it to use it?
              847577 wrote:
              ..I downloaded jdk ( winXP ) ... I expected that it would be an authoring environment, ..
              I guess the closest equivalent in Java programming would be an IDE, most of which are good, powerful & free.

OTOH it is generally a good idea for newbies to get used to using the JDK tools from the command line, and just use a 'simple' editor (such as TextPad - which provides compile and run from keyboard shortcuts and syntax highlighting, but little more) until they are comfortable with what the JDK tools do, and how they work.

If newbies come to rely on their IDE, the first time that something goes wrong, they will be completely lost.
              • 4. Re: installed jdk ... but how do I open it to use it?
                847577 wrote:
                ..I am beginning to believe that jdk should be called jbc ==> java background compiler, as in it runs on your OS in the background and then smartly c*ompiles text written in a text editor whenever I snap my fingers 3 times ... am I correct:)
                No. But wait, let me reconsi.. No.
                • 5. Re: installed jdk ... but how do I open it to use it?
                  847577 wrote:
                  I guess the usage of the phrase 'development Kit' led me to the assumption ...

I am beginning to believe that jdk should be called jbc ==> java background compiler, as in it runs on your OS in the background and then smartly c*ompiles text written in a text editor whenever I snap my fingers 3 times ... am I correct:)
                  Nope. JDK is the correct term. It's more than just a compiler. And it gets run in the foreground quite a lot.
                  • 6. Re: installed jdk ... but how do I open it to use it?
                    EJP
                    No, you are dead wrong. That is what would happen if you installed an IDE which appears to be what you are looking for. By itself the JDK is just a collection of tools and documentation with no 'background' aspect whatsoever