This discussion is archived
1 Reply Latest reply: Mar 30, 2011 2:23 AM by sabre150 RSS

Third-party Java Visualization Library?

822961 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hello,

I am going to develop a Java Application which needs to draw some charts, like annotated line. Structure of data is simple that only datetime and value are included, but amount of data is huge. I am new to Java Visualization and can someone give me some advices on this issue? Which will Java Visualization Library suit to my requirement?

P.S. Free library would be better.
  • 1. Re: Third-party Java Visualization Library?
    sabre150 Expert
    Currently Being Moderated
    J.Yang wrote:
    I am going to develop a Java Application which needs to draw some charts, like annotated line.
    No problem; plenty of libraries out there. I use JFreeChart from www.jfree.org.
    Structure of data is simple that only datetime and value are included, but amount of data is huge.
    Then you start to have a problem.
    I am new to Java Visualization and can someone give me some advices on this issue?
    If you have a very very large dataset and you are charting time series then your charts will be cluttered. You will have to in some way reduce the data to a more reasonable size so that you are plotting no more than 1 point per pixel along the time axis. My approach to this is to condense the data into three lines. The primary line breaks the time into a smaller number of segments (500 or so) and computes the average value for each segment and plots this average. You then create two secondary lines which use the same segments but compute the minimum and maximum value for each segment and you then plot the line of minimums and the line of maximums.

Be aware that this condensing of the data must be done outside the event thread.
    Which will Java Visualization Library suit to my requirement?

P.S. Free library would be better.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points