13 Replies Latest reply: Apr 4, 2011 3:14 PM by orafad RSS

Couldn't login to the XE home page

Hi, I downloaded win32_11gR2_OracleXE.zip and installed it on Windows 7 32 bit, I can access the database from sqlplus, but I couldn't access to home page url, how can I troubleshoot this? None of below combination worked:

http://127.0.0.1:8080/htmldb
      http://127.0.0.1:8080/apex
      http://127.0.0.1:8080/apex/f?p=4950

I hope I can try Apex inside 11g XE soon :) Thanks.

ps: the links under help are not functional: http://www.oracle.com/us/technology/xe/documentation http://www.oracle.com/us/technology/xe/forum http://www.oracle.com/us/technology/xe/registration
        • 1. Re: Couldn't login to the XE home page
          Kris Rice-Oracle
          Any errors? Whats the browser error say? Do you have something on that port already?

I'm on the links...
          -kris
          • 2. Re: Couldn't login to the XE home page
            Hi Kris, thanks for 11g XE. I tried on Chrome and below is the result:

The webpage at http://<hostname>:8080/apex/f?p=4950 might be temporarily down or it may have moved permanently to a new web address.

Error 103 (net::ERR_CONNECTION_ABORTED): Unknown error.
            • 3. Re: Couldn't login to the XE home page
              >
              Hi Kris, thanks for 11g XE. I tried on Chrome and below is the result:

The webpage at http://<hostname>:8080/apex/f?p=4950 might be temporarily down or it may have moved permanently to a new web address.

Error 103 (net::ERR_CONNECTION_ABORTED): Unknown error.
              >

I am just from installing it on Windows 7 as well and I am able to access APEX and XE database homepage.

A little digging on the Internet seems to suggest that the error is widespread(see -> Google Chrome Issue) and not necessarily associated to any Oracle product. Have you tried accessing APEX and 11g XE homepage using a different browser(say firefox for instance)?

But just so we are certain, please also show us results of the command below.
              SQL> SELECT dbms_xdb.gethttpport FROM dual;
              Regards,
              Phiri
              • 4. Re: Couldn't login to the XE home page
                orafad
                antu wrote:
                Hi, I downloaded win32_11gR2_OracleXE.zip and installed it on Windows 7 32 bit, I can access the database from sqlplus,
                but I couldn't access to home page url, how can I troubleshoot this?
                Possibly, listener is not started or http port is not open.

I've taken this from a 10.2 XE install since I haven't had time to install the new beta just yet.

Open an elevated / administrator's command prompt (run as administrator).
                C:\Windows\system32>netstat -nao | find "8080"
                  TCP    127.0.0.1:8080         0.0.0.0:0              LISTENING       5472

(right-most number is process' pid on the system, in my case for TNSLSNR.EXE process)

C:\Windows\system32>lsnrctl status

LSNRCTL for 32-bit Windows: Version 10.2.0.1.0 - Production on 02-APR-2011 12:44:05

Copyright (c) 1991, 2005, Oracle.  All rights reserved.

Connecting to (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=IPC)(KEY=EXTPROC_FOR_XE)))
                STATUS of the LISTENER
                ------------------------
                Alias                     LISTENER
                Version                   TNSLSNR for 32-bit Windows: Version 10.2.0.1.0 - Production
                Start Date                02-APR-2011 12:41:59
                Uptime                    0 days 0 hr. 2 min. 9 sec
                Trace Level               off
                Security                  ON: Local OS Authentication
                SNMP                      OFF
                Default Service           XE
                Listener Parameter File   C:\Oracle\oraclexe\app\oracle\product\10.2.0\server\network\admin\listener.ora
                Listener Log File         C:\Oracle\oraclexe\app\oracle\product\10.2.0\server\network\log\listener.log
                Listening Endpoints Summary...
                  (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=ipc)(PIPENAME=\\.\pipe\EXTPROC_FOR_XEipc)))
                  (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=tcp)(HOST=hostname)(PORT=1521)))
                  (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=tcp)(HOST=127.0.0.1)(PORT=8080))(Presentation=HTTP)(Session=RAW))
                Services Summary...
                Service "CLRExtProc" has 1 instance(s).
                  Instance "CLRExtProc", status UNKNOWN, has 1 handler(s) for this service...
                Service "PLSExtProc" has 1 instance(s).
                  Instance "PLSExtProc", status UNKNOWN, has 1 handler(s) for this service...
                Service "XEXDB" has 1 instance(s).
                  Instance "xe", status READY, has 1 handler(s) for this service...
                Service "XE_XPT" has 1 instance(s).
                Service "xe" has 1 instance(s).
                The command completed successfully
                Notice endpoints line above with port 8080.

To start the listener:
                C:\Windows\system32>lsnrctl start

LSNRCTL for 32-bit Windows: Version 10.2.0.1.0 - Production on

Copyright (c) 1991, 2005, Oracle.  All rights reserved.

Starting tnslsnr: please wait...
                Edited by: orafad on Apr 2, 2011 1:00 PM
                • 5. Re: Couldn't login to the XE home page
                  Hi phiri, here is the output:
                  SQL> conn / as sysdba
                  Connected.
                  SQL> SELECT dbms_xdb.gethttpport FROM dual;

GETHTTPPORT
                  -----------
                  Yes I tried, it is the same problem with IE and Firefox too.

Edited by: antu on Apr 2, 2011 8:10 AM
                  • 6. Re: Couldn't login to the XE home page
                    Hi orafad,

This may be related to my local laptop settings, I changed my hostname inside listerner.ora and tnsnames.ora and restarted listener, now I can tnsping service XE, but netstat does not bring 8080 line and I can not connect if I put @xe TNS to my 11g XE database.

D:\oraclexe\app\oracle\product\11.2.0\server\network\ADMIN>tnsping xe

TNS Ping Utility for 32-bit Windows: Version 11.2.0.2.0 - Beta on 02-NIS-2011 18
                    :03:05

Copyright (c) 1997, 2010, Oracle.  All rights reserved.

Used parameter files:
                    D:\oraclexe\app\oracle\product\11.2.0\server\network\admin\sqlnet.ora

Used TNSNAMES adapter to resolve the alias
                    Attempting to contact (DESCRIPTION = (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = 127.0.0.
                    1)(PORT = 1521)) (CONNECT_DATA = (SERVER = DEDICATED) (SERVICE_NAME = XE)))
                    OK (0 msec)

D:\oraclexe\app\oracle\product\11.2.0\server\bin>netstat -nao | find "8080"

D:\oraclexe\app\oracle\product\11.2.0\server\bin>

D:\oraclexe\app\oracle\product\11.2.0\server\bin>lsnrctl status

LSNRCTL for 32-bit Windows: Version 11.2.0.2.0 - Beta on 02-NIS-2011 18:08:42

Copyright (c) 1991, 2010, Oracle.  All rights reserved.

Connecting to (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=IPC)(KEY=EXTPROC1)))
                    STATUS of the LISTENER
                    ------------------------
                    Version                   TNSLSNR for 32-bit Windows: Version 11.2.0.2.0 - Beta
                    Start Date                02-NIS-2011 18:02:58
                    Uptime                    0 days 0 hr. 5 min. 46 sec
                    Listener Parameter File   D:\oraclexe\app\oracle\product\11.2.0\server\network\a
                    dmin\listener.ora
                    Listener Log File         D:\oraclexe\app\oracle\diag\tnslsnr\hostname\listene
                    r\alert\log.xml
                      (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=ipc)(PIPENAME=\\.\pipe\EXTPROC1ipc)))
                      (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=tcp)(HOST=127.0.0.1)(PORT=1521)))
                    Services Summary...

D:\oraclexe\app\oracle\product\11.2.0\server\bin>
                    • 7. Re: Couldn't login to the XE home page
                      Salim Hlayel
                      Hi Antu,

I have exactly the same issue as yours on Windows 7 64 bit.
                      c:\Program Files (x86)\glassfishv3\glassfish\bin>tnsping xe

TNS Ping Utility for 32-bit Windows: Version 11.2.0.2.0 - Beta on 03-APR-2011 00
                      :32:48

Copyright (c) 1997, 2010, Oracle.  All rights reserved.

Used parameter files:
                      C:\oraclexe\app\oracle\product\11.2.0\server\network\admin\sqlnet.ora

Used TNSNAMES adapter to resolve the alias
                      Attempting to contact (DESCRIPTION = (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = 127.0.0.
                      1)(PORT = 1521)) (CONNECT_DATA = (SERVER = DEDICATED) (SID = XE) (SERVICE_NAME =
                       XE)))
                      OK (20 msec)

c:\Program Files (x86)\glassfishv3\glassfish\bin>lsnrctl status

LSNRCTL for 32-bit Windows: Version 11.2.0.2.0 - Beta on 03-APR-2011 00:32:52

Copyright (c) 1991, 2010, Oracle.  All rights reserved.

Connecting to (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=IPC)(KEY=EXTPROC1)))
                      STATUS of the LISTENER
                      ------------------------
                      Version                   TNSLSNR for 32-bit Windows: Version 11.2.0.2.0 - Beta
                      Start Date                03-APR-2011 00:32:36
                      Uptime                    0 days 0 hr. 0 min. 16 sec
                      Listener Parameter File   C:\oraclexe\app\oracle\product\11.2.0\server\network\a
                      dmin\listener.ora
                      Listener Log File         C:\oraclexe\app\oracle\diag\tnslsnr\ADLSAG01193\listen
                      er\alert\log.xml
                      Services Summary...
                      Service "XE" has 1 instance(s).
                        Instance "XE", status UNKNOWN, has 1 handler(s) for this service...
                      Can somebody help?

Regards,
                      Salim

Edited by: salim_faisal on Apr 3, 2011 8:08 AM
                      • 8. Re: Couldn't login to the XE home page
                        orafad
                        antu wrote:
                        Listener Parameter File D:\oraclexe\app\oracle\product\11.2.0\server\network\admin\listener.ora
                        What is the content of that listener.ora?

That might be a clue.

I suspect it makes a difference if listener binds to "*", via parameter HOST=<hostname>, not 127.0.0.1.

This is from my machine (actual hostname edited):
                        C:\Users\Groovy>netstat -a | find "1521"
                          TCP    0.0.0.0:1521           your_hostname:0                 LISTENING
                        What does the same command show on your machine?
                        • 9. Re: Couldn't login to the XE home page
                          Alex Gorbachev
                          Kris,

I've configured everything and shortly after I start listener and DB I'm able to login to ...:8080/apex or ...:8080/apex/apex_admin.
                          However, after few clicks in the admin interface, it stops working and return 404 with either
                          The requested URL /apex/f was not found on this server
                          or
                          The requested URL /apex/apex_admin was not found on this server

If I then try to access ...:8080/apex it redirects me to ...:8080/apex/apex and again "The requested URL /apex/apex was not found on this server"

I bounce DB + listener and it works again but breaks in the same ways after few minutes.
                          I have it fully reproducible and can provide direct access to the instance on EC2.

Alex
                          • 10. Re: Couldn't login to the XE home page
                            Salim Hlayel
                            Hi,

This is the content of my listener.ora
                            SID_LIST_LISTENER =
                              (SID_LIST =
                                (SID_DESC =
                                  (SID_NAME = PLSExtProc)
                                  (ORACLE_HOME = C:\oraclexe\app\oracle\product\11.2.0\server)
                                  (PROGRAM = extproc)
                                )
                                (SID_DESC =
                                  (SID_NAME = CLRExtProc)
                                  (PROGRAM = extproc)
                                )
                                 (SID_DESC =
                                  (SID_NAME = XE)
                                )
                              )

LISTENER =
                              (DESCRIPTION_LIST =
                                (DESCRIPTION =
                                  (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = IPC)(KEY = EXTPROC1))
                                  (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = 127.0.0.1)(PORT = 1521))
                                )
                              )

DEFAULT_SERVICE_LISTENER = (XE)
                            I had to add the following lines in order to be able to login using SQL Developer:
                            (SID_DESC =
                                  (SID_NAME = XE)
                            This is the output for netstat -a | find "1521" :

TCP 10.8.4.124:51273 ADLSAG01193:1521 SYN_SENT
                            TCP 127.0.0.1:1521 ADLSAG01193:0 LISTENING

Regards,
                            Salim
                            • 11. Re: Couldn't login to the XE home page
                              orafad
                              Alex, as "stops working" is a different issue, may I suggest you open a new thread for your problem?
                              • 12. Re: Couldn't login to the XE home page
                                orafad
                                >
                                LISTENER =
                                (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = 127.0.0.1)(PORT = 1521))
                                Try reconfig the listener with HOST = hostname instead. (This should be per default.)

It seems your hostname is ADLSAG01193 but open a command window and use the hostname command to verify:
                                C:\Users\Hey>hostname
                                Somename
                                Then restart the listener.

Then you may have to wait a minute or two for the instance to register its services with the listener. (use lsnrctl stat to see when service handlers becomes available)

I had to add the following lines in order to be able to login using SQL Developer:
                                Normally you wouldn't need ol' static registration method. I think it's a related symptom.

TCP 127.0.0.1:1521 ADLSAG01193:0 LISTENING
                                This means listener is on the localhost interface "only", which I suspect gets in the way of instance registration.

If you give above suggestion a try, this should change (see one of previous posts).
                                • 13. Re: Couldn't login to the XE home page
                                  orafad
                                  I could reproduce the issue. Having listener address set to 127.0.0.1 instead of hostname (in listener.ora), Listener tcp endpoint showing:
                                  In this setup registration never happens, except for the static extproc entries. And with the specific "home page" issue in mind, the 8080 port is not among the listening endpoints.

If I change back to HOST = hostname and restart the listener, within a minute the crucial http endpoint (port=8080) and xe services become registered:
                                    (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=tcp)(HOST=Hostname)(PORT=1521)))
                                    (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=tcp)(HOST=Hostname)(PORT=8080))(Presentation=HTTP)(Session=RAW))
                                  Services Summary...
                                  Service "XEXDB" has 1 instance(s).
                                  Service "xe" has 1 instance(s).
                                  Well, now Apex urls should work! :)

It is perhaps worth noting that a similar scenario may exist if the instance is shutdown (not yet started).

Edited by: orafad on Apr 4, 2011 10:07 PM