This discussion is archived
1 2 Previous Next 20 Replies Latest reply: Jul 7, 2011 4:06 PM by John McGinnis-Oracle RSS

SQL Developer: Not able to view tables

852844 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
I am new to sqldeveloper and oracle products. I've recently installed sqldeveloper onto my pc, i am able to connect to the database but when i try and expand the tables item in the treeview i dont get the tables displayed and the error Warning, unhandled exception:Closed connection is shown in the logging page at the bottom. I have uninstalled the oracle client, jdk but still i keep getting this problem.

Current versions are

Operating System= Windows 7 32bit
SQLDeveloper=3.0.03
JDK=1.6.0_21
Oracle Client=11g
  • 1. Re: SQL Developer: Not able to view tables
    Irian Pro
    Looks like you are using one of the 3.0 EA releases, so my first tip for you is to try installing the production release.

If you try to issue some simple selects in a worksheet you can see the results or you only get the unhandled exception:Closed connection log??

Assuming you can get results from selects in the worksheet you may have been given a read only user with no proprietary tables (or the like), in this case to see other users tables you should use the other users node of your connection.
  • 2. Re: SQL Developer: Not able to view tables
    KGelling Newbie
    I have a similar problem but only for certain schemas.

If I use the schema browser then SQL Developer hangs, if I use the Editor then I get "Closed Connection" and if I run a report then I get "Closed Connection" and "Vendor code 17008"

I've tried deleting the 'system3.0.04.34' directory but this did not help.

OS = Windows 7 64 bit
    SQL Developer = 3.0.04.34 (32bit)
    JDK = 1.6.0_24
    Oracle Client = 10.2.0.4
  • 3. Re: SQL Developer: Not able to view tables
    Irian Pro
    What is the version of your Database server, and it is different in the working schemas??

Unfortunately there may be problems if you try to connect to an older Database version even with a newer client...
  • 4. Re: SQL Developer: Not able to view tables
    KGelling Newbie
    The schemas are on the same database. For example SQL Developer works with XX but hangs with XXAPI

Edited by: user12010781 on Apr 5, 2011 6:19 AM
  • 5. Re: SQL Developer: Not able to view tables
    KGelling Newbie
    I've reinstalled SQL Developer using the download that includes the JRE and now it works.

So with Java 1.6.0_11 it works, but with 1.6.0_24 it does not.

Scrub that - it still doesn't work

Edited by: user12010781 on Apr 5, 2011 6:16 AM
  • 6. Re: SQL Developer: Not able to view tables
    -K- Guru
    Then most likely your OS/sqldev/JDK bit versions didn't match (should all be 64bit).

Regards,
    K.
  • 7. Re: SQL Developer: Not able to view tables
    KGelling Newbie
    I tried the 64 bit version too - SQL Developer and JDK. No luck
  • 8. Re: SQL Developer: Not able to view tables
    KGelling Newbie
    It looks like it may be a privilege issue.

I ran SQL Developer with 'IncludeConfFile sqldeveloper-debug.conf' in the 'sqldeveloper.conf' file. I got the following log output when I connected to XXAPI (which hangs) and XX (which works)

-----
    For XXAPI, 'oracle.dbtools.db.DBUtil' generates

Prepared:SELECT object_type type, SYS_CONTEXT('USERENV','CURRENT_SCHEMA') owner, object_name, null column_name, null column_id, null data_type
    FROM user_objects
    WHERE object_type ='TABLE' and object_name not like 'BIN$%' and rownum <=50
    union all
    SELECT object_type type, SYS_CONTEXT('USERENV','CURRENT_SCHEMA') owner, object_name, null column_name, null column_id, null data_type
    FROM user_objects
    WHERE      object_type ='VIEW' and object_name not like 'BIN$%' and rownum <=50

and the following log message

oracle.dbtools.raptor.controls.grid.RaptorGridPersistedSettings - Persisted settings for this table could not be loaded
    -----
    For XX, 'oracle.dbtools.db.DBUtil' generates

Prepared:
    select * from (
    SELECT o.OBJECT_NAME, o.OBJECT_ID ,'' short_name, NULL partitioned,
    NULL iot_type,
    o.OWNER OBJECT_OWNER, o.CREATED, o.LAST_DDL_TIME, O.GENERATED, O.TEMPORARY, NULL EXTERNAL
    FROM SYS.ALL_OBJECTS O
    WHERE O.OWNER = :SCHEMA
    AND O.OBJECT_TYPE = 'TABLE'
    union all
    SELECT OBJECT_NAME, OBJECT_ID , syn.SYNONYM_NAME short_NAME, NULL partitioned,
    NULL iot_type,
    SYN.TABLE_OWNER OBJECT_OWNER, o.CREATED, o.LAST_DDL_TIME, O.GENERATED, O.TEMPORARY, NULL EXTERNAL
    FROM SYS.ALL_OBJECTS O, sys.user_synonyms syn
    WHERE syn.table_owner = o.owner
    and syn.TABLE_NAME = o.object_NAME
    and o.object_type = 'TABLE'
    and :INCLUDE_SYNS = 1
    )
    WHERE /**/OBJECT_NAME NOT IN (SELECT OBJECT_NAME FROM RECYCLEBIN)
    AND not object_name like 'BIN$%'

which works
    -----
  • 9. Re: SQL Developer: Not able to view tables
    Droid13 Newbie
    Yea, I'm having the exact same problem as you. There is another thread floating around with similar issues. I'm using Windows 7 32 bit with Oracle 10 client on 10.2.0.5 and I see the exact same issue, but only with a user connection that has basic permissions. Just trying to view the user's own tables and triggers SQLDev freezes, and if I just try to do a simple select statement on a table the user owns in a SQL Worksheet, I get the Connection Closed warning only. It works just fine if I connect with a user with more permissions, but it also works fine for the original user with more basic permissions when connecting thru SQLDev 2.1.
  • 10. Re: SQL Developer: Not able to view tables
    KGelling Newbie
    I think it is the same issue - SQL Developer 3.0 = "Closed connection"
  • 11. Re: SQL Developer: Not able to view tables
    KGelling Newbie
    How does one go about raising bugs against SQL Developer?
  • 12. Re: SQL Developer: Not able to view tables
    Jim Smith Expert
    If you have Database support, raise an SR on metalink. Otherwise, this is the place.
  • 13. Re: SQL Developer: Not able to view tables
    KGelling Newbie
    I raised an SR and got to the bottom of the problem.

The problem occurs when SQL Developer 3.0.04 connects to a limited privilege schema via a shared server connection. The workaround is to connect using a dedicated server connection.
  • 14. Re: SQL Developer: Not able to view tables
    cmenaldo Newbie
    Hello
    I got the same problem and the workaround is correct for me.
    i hope the bug will be corrected fastest.
    Thanks !
1 2 Previous Next