I am new to sqldeveloper and oracle products. I've recently installed sqldeveloper onto my pc, i am able to connect to the database but when i try and expand the tables item in the treeview i dont get the tables displayed and the error Warning, unhandled exception:Closed connection is shown in the logging page at the bottom. I have uninstalled the oracle client, jdk but still i keep getting this problem.
Current versions are
Operating System= Windows 7 32bit
Looks like you are using one of the 3.0 EA releases, so my first tip for you is to try installing the production release.
If you try to issue some simple selects in a worksheet you can see the results or you only get the unhandled exception:Closed connection log??
Assuming you can get results from selects in the worksheet you may have been given a read only user with no proprietary tables (or the like), in this case to see other users tables you should use the other users node of your connection.
I have a similar problem but only for certain schemas.
If I use the schema browser then SQL Developer hangs, if I use the Editor then I get "Closed Connection" and if I run a report then I get "Closed Connection" and "Vendor code 17008"
I've tried deleting the 'system3.0.04.34' directory but this did not help.
OS = Windows 7 64 bit
SQL Developer = 3.0.04.34 (32bit)
JDK = 1.6.0_24
Oracle Client = 10.2.0.4
What is the version of your Database server, and it is different in the working schemas??
Unfortunately there may be problems if you try to connect to an older Database version even with a newer client...
I've reinstalled SQL Developer using the download that includes the JRE and now it works.
So with Java 1.6.0_11 it works, but with 1.6.0_24 it does not. Scrub that - it still doesn't work
Edited by: user12010781 on Apr 5, 2011 6:16 AM
It looks like it may be a privilege issue.
I ran SQL Developer with 'IncludeConfFile sqldeveloper-debug.conf' in the 'sqldeveloper.conf' file. I got the following log output when I connected to XXAPI (which hangs) and XX (which works)
For XXAPI, 'oracle.dbtools.db.DBUtil' generates
Prepared:SELECT object_type type, SYS_CONTEXT('USERENV','CURRENT_SCHEMA') owner, object_name, null column_name, null column_id, null data_type
WHERE object_type ='TABLE' and object_name not like 'BIN$%' and rownum <=50
SELECT object_type type, SYS_CONTEXT('USERENV','CURRENT_SCHEMA') owner, object_name, null column_name, null column_id, null data_type
WHERE object_type ='VIEW' and object_name not like 'BIN$%' and rownum <=50
and the following log message
oracle.dbtools.raptor.controls.grid.RaptorGridPersistedSettings - Persisted settings for this table could not be loaded
For XX, 'oracle.dbtools.db.DBUtil' generates
select * from (
SELECT o.OBJECT_NAME, o.OBJECT_ID ,'' short_name, NULL partitioned,
o.OWNER OBJECT_OWNER, o.CREATED, o.LAST_DDL_TIME, O.GENERATED, O.TEMPORARY, NULL EXTERNAL
FROM SYS.ALL_OBJECTS O
WHERE O.OWNER = :SCHEMA
AND O.OBJECT_TYPE = 'TABLE'
SELECT OBJECT_NAME, OBJECT_ID , syn.SYNONYM_NAME short_NAME, NULL partitioned,
SYN.TABLE_OWNER OBJECT_OWNER, o.CREATED, o.LAST_DDL_TIME, O.GENERATED, O.TEMPORARY, NULL EXTERNAL
FROM SYS.ALL_OBJECTS O, sys.user_synonyms syn
WHERE syn.table_owner = o.owner
and syn.TABLE_NAME = o.object_NAME
and o.object_type = 'TABLE'
and :INCLUDE_SYNS = 1
WHERE /**/OBJECT_NAME NOT IN (SELECT OBJECT_NAME FROM RECYCLEBIN)
AND not object_name like 'BIN$%'
Yea, I'm having the exact same problem as you. There is another thread floating around with similar issues. I'm using Windows 7 32 bit with Oracle 10 client on 10.2.0.5 and I see the exact same issue, but only with a user connection that has basic permissions. Just trying to view the user's own tables and triggers SQLDev freezes, and if I just try to do a simple select statement on a table the user owns in a SQL Worksheet, I get the Connection Closed warning only. It works just fine if I connect with a user with more permissions, but it also works fine for the original user with more basic permissions when connecting thru SQLDev 2.1.
I raised an SR and got to the bottom of the problem.
The problem occurs when SQL Developer 3.0.04 connects to a limited privilege schema via a shared server connection. The workaround is to connect using a dedicated server connection.