9 Replies Latest reply: Jun 21, 2011 2:49 PM by 805706 RSS

11g R2 XE is better than DB2 Express-C 9.5 ?

mototaker
      I love Oracle.
      I want to use Oracle.

BUT, 11g R2 XE is better than DB2 Express-C 9.5 ?

DB2 Express-C 9.5 is
      CPU 2
      Memory 2G
      HardDisk (Data file size) inifint.

11g R2 XE is
      CPU 1
      Memory 1G
      HardDisk (Data file size) 11G.

Why not better than IBM ?

I want that Oracle will be better than IBM.
        • 1. Re: 11g R2 XE is better than DB2 Express-C 9.5 ?
          Udo
          Why not MySQL or PostgreSQL? No limitations concerning CPU, RAM or disk space...
          Probably because there's more than that inside the feature-set.
          Just one example: I love APEX, and DB2 doesn't have it. That alone makes XE much more attractive, even with resource restrictions.

-Udo
          • 2. Re: 11g R2 XE is better than DB2 Express-C 9.5 ?
            Oracle Database XE for DB2 Express C match when MICROSOFT take the next step, if Micrososft increased memory capacity to 2GB, unlimited storage, Oracle Also do will. The same if DB2 Express C gain ground.

Roberto

Edited by: rober584812 on Apr 7, 2011 2:56 PM
            • 3. Re: 11g R2 XE is better than DB2 Express-C 9.5 ?
              user9346419
              I want 2G in memory.

Please oralce !

I want 2 cpu in 1 node.

Please oracle !
              • 4. Re: 11g R2 XE is better than DB2 Express-C 9.5 ?
                Russ C
                My 2 cents...
                Its FREE ! ! !
                Be thankful we have such a high level of functionality built into a FREE product.
                Everyone may "want" more, but if we all get what we want for free, then Oracle would be out of business and we would not have anything at all to work with.

There is no such thing as a free lunch. Someone pays regardless of who receives the goods.
                • 5. Re: 11g R2 XE is better than DB2 Express-C 9.5 ?
                  mototaker
                  Yes I know too, "Oracle would be out of business and we would not have anything at all to work with."

So Oracle is the good company.
                  So Oracle need teach the good of Oracle Database.

We want to make a chance to see 2 cpu in XE.

We want to make a chance to see 2G in XE.

We want to make a chance to see 2 instances in XE.

Please Oracle.

I know you are the real leader of IT.

You made the way.

Please say yes.
                  • 6. Re: 11g R2 XE is better than DB2 Express-C 9.5 ?
                    Russ C
                    and how about adding free hardware to run the free software on... and then a free car to drive to work where I use the free hardware running the free software...

If you only wish to "see" the database running on 2 cpus with >2gb and >1 instance, then you can always download a trial version from technet.oracle.com. You just can't use it for production.

I guess I'm just very glad Oracle provides any level of free and the limitations are not a problem for the small systems for which it is intended to be used.

Full Disclosure... I'm no longer a big stock owner, but wished I still was!!!
                    • 7. Re: 11g R2 XE is better than DB2 Express-C 9.5 ?
                      Dude!
                      The majority of people will choose whatever is the most popular and promises the best value for the buck. Most people don't know much about Oracle database other than it's a good product, but also the most complicated and most expensive - even if this is no longer true. I don't think a free product would hurt Oracle business, but will attract more customers, who in return make experience with the product and purchase support or other licensed software. In a perhaps similar context, software piracy has certainly not put Microsoft out of business. I agree with the OP and think Oracle might want to consider removing the tight restrictions on XE and lead the business.
                      • 8. Re: 11g R2 XE is better than DB2 Express-C 9.5 ?
                        2G memory, 2CPU, Oracle Please.
                        • 9. Re: 11g R2 XE is better than DB2 Express-C 9.5 ?
                          Well, I guess if your business needs more than 1 CPU and more than 1G RAM, then you can install the other versions of Oracle 11 and as you do buisiness and are supposed to earn money with, then you can buy the licenses (I saw 180$ dor 1 user... which I guess is not that expensive for business ;)

I also like free software, but this one is really of a quality that lot of free software won't get.

Well... that's my opinion only ;)