This discussion is archived
5 Replies Latest reply: Apr 23, 2011 12:34 PM by 627813 RSS

Reg. Same Value at Various level of Static Dimension

764716 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi ,

I am creating a static Dimension with an hierarchy having 7 levels. Sometime all the levels values are same, sometime only two consecutive level values are same. I think this issue can be resolved through namespace but i didn't found any document or method to apply that namespace in our dimension. Is it possible for someone to provide any document to implement namespace and also explain the logic how it works.

Thanks
  • 1. Re: Reg. Same Value at Various level of Static Dimension
    809363 Newbie
    In iop, dimension members are addressed by (dimension name, namespace, member name). By default, the namespace name is the name of the dimension, which works fine when all member names in a dimension are unique. If they are not, you'll need to either create namespaces, or make the member names unique.

Say you have a calendar dimension with years 2011 and 2012. To add member q1 to both 2011 and 2012 you could split q1 into, q1.2011 and q1.2012, making the name unique. No need to mess with namespaces in this case. If your dimension is called "fiscal", your fully qualified member names would be

fiscal/fiscal/q1.2011
    fiscal/fiscal/q1.2012

Alternatively, you could qualify q1 with namespaces, say "2011" and "2012". Then your members would be called

fiscal/2011/q1
    fiscal/2012/q1

To implement, go to the datasource to dimension map editor in the ui and
    - edit 'hierarchy level maps',
    - edit the 'namespace' field,
    - click on the 'column' radio button (rather than 'value'),
    - select the column from the datasource which is the parent of the level in question
    (in the example above, it would be the year column)

Thing to be careful of here is that once you build your dimension using namespaces, you'll have to qualify your member names everywhere they are used (eg, rowsource-to-cube maps, etc.)
  • 2. Re: Reg. Same Value at Various level of Static Dimension
    764716 Newbie
    Hi Matt,

Thanks for Your Prompt reply.
    I did the same. For Eg. I have 4 levels in my dimension A>B>C>D .
    A is the highest and D is the lowest level.

My B and C levels have the same value for few cases.
    for Ex. B member is TEST1 and C member is also TEST1 . The zoom in should look like :

. . . D
    . . TEST1
    . TEST1
    A
    when I am creating hierarchy the way you suggest I gave B as namespace from the LOV or Radiobutton , while defining B>C level.

what would be the namespace for A>B level ? (Presently namespace is DIM_DM for all the levels)
    What would be the Namespace for C>D level ?

Thanks

Edited by: user7918731 on Apr 8, 2011 2:33 PM
  • 3. Re: Reg. Same Value at Various level of Static Dimension
    809363 Newbie
    Maybe in this case you need a namespace for just one of the levels. Could you put the level b test1 into namespace 'test1' (parent) and leave the c test1 with the default namespace?
  • 4. Re: Reg. Same Value at Various level of Static Dimension
    762759 Explorer
    You should make the members have different names and you can easily do that before doing member load. A simple ETL or sql script would do that. That will simplify life a lot. Also, the namespace issues would cause issues in many other places.
  • 5. Re: Reg. Same Value at Various level of Static Dimension
    627813 Newbie
    We used namespace for 3 levels at static dimension having 7 levels. Its difficult to use namespace when all the levels have same Value. The only option i found feasible is to append the values with different prefix at different levels.

Thanks matt.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points