This discussion is archived
6 Replies Latest reply: Feb 26, 2013 5:26 AM by Sunthar Tharmalingam RSS

Setup routines... in OraClient11g... could not be loaded: System error 193

853400 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
I am working on a 64-bit Windows 7 platform. I initially installed the 64-bit version of the Oracle client 11g R2 only to later discover that the 32-bit version had to be used. By error I installed the 32-bit version in a wrong directory and wanted to wipe both installations out and start from scratch.

I figure that something is not configured properly in the registry because when I run the ODBC Data Source Administrator and try to add Oracle in OraClient11g_home1 as a data source the following errror message appers:

The setup routines for the Oracle in OraClient11g_home1 ODBC driver could not be loaded due to system error code 193: .

Moreover, if I deinstall the client, edit the registry to remove all keys containing the word oracle, reboot the machine, re-install the cient, the ODBC administrator does not show that the client is installed. I have no idea what to do next.
  • 1. Re: Setup routines... in OraClient11g... could not be loaded: System error 193
    873773 Newbie
    I am getting this same error. Does anyone have a solution for this yet?
  • 2. Re: Setup routines... in OraClient11g... could not be loaded: System error 193
    878049 Newbie
    I believe the answer is in the error message

System error 193

ERROR_BAD_EXE_FORMAT
    193 (0xC1)

%1 is not a valid Win32 application.

[http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms681382%28v=vs.85%29.aspx|http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms681382%28v=vs.85%29.aspx]

This would point to the Oracle client version.

Location for 32-bit version of the Odbcad32.exe file

A 64-bit version of the Microsoft Windows operating system includes the following versions of the Microsoft Open Database Connectivity (ODBC) Data Source Administrator tool (Odbcad32.exe):

The 32-bit version of the Odbcad32.exe file is located in the %systemdrive%\Windows\SysWoW64 folder.
    The 64-bit version of the Odbcad32.exe file is located in the %systemdrive%\Windows\System32 folder.

Check for odbcad32.exe, or install the 32 bit drivers

One other tip, for Oracle client on 64 bit machine, both 32 bit and 64 bit clients should be installed. Unfortunately that'll mean that you'll have 2 Oracle Home directories on your machine.
  • 3. Re: Setup routines... in OraClient11g... could not be loaded: System error 193
    909000 Newbie
    Hello -

I'm continuing to experience the same issue. I install the 64bit oracle client and it only seems to install it in the syswow64 folder.

When I try to access the ODBC connections in windows through control panel > administrative tools > data sources
    I do not see the oracle ODBC drivers. However, I do see the connection that I created through the syswow 64 odbcad32.exe ; but i am unable to open it through the control panel.

Should I uninstall the 64 bit and reinstall the 32bit?

OR

Install both?

My apologies, I'm really new to this. Please help I'm totally lost here.

Alex
  • 4. Re: Setup routines... in OraClient11g... could not be loaded: System error 193
    965763 Newbie
    I am having the same exact problem. Can anyone make a suggestion as to how to get the driver to show up in ODBC Data Source Administrator under Windows 7?
  • 5. Re: Setup routines... in OraClient11g... could not be loaded: System error 193
    Sunthar Tharmalingam Explorer
    I would suggest you uninstall the 64-bit and install the 32-bit. We had the same issue that was resolved by 32-bit installation.
  • 6. Re: Setup routines... in OraClient11g... could not be loaded: System error 193
    Sunthar Tharmalingam Explorer
    can you try the below steps?
    1. Please start up the Oracle Universal Installer.
    2. Click on the installed products button.
    3. Click on the + in front of the Oracle Home name to expand the list. Find the Oracle ODBC Driver in the list and check the box in front of it. Then click on the remove button.
    4. Once it has been deinstalled. Then in the Universal installer it will come back to the Welcome screen. Click on Next button.
    5. Then select the installation media location you used to install the Oracle ODBC Driver for the Specify Source Location. Click on the Next Button.
    6. In the Specify Home Details make sure to select the OraClient11g_home1 Oracle Home. Then click on the Next Button.
    7. The Oracle ODBC Driver should be listed under the Reinstallations. Click on Install Button.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points