10 Replies Latest reply: Jul 31, 2011 10:56 PM by NikMolchanov RSS

Looking for Feedback on Solaris Studio 12.2 Documentation

rchrd - oracle
      Send us feedback about Solaris Studio 12.2 Documentation. What's missing? What do you use the most? What do you like/dislike? What would you like to see in future releases?

Start here: http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/server-storage/solarisstudio/documentation/index.html

--Richard Friedman, for the Oracle Solaris Studio documentation team.
        • 1. Re: Looking for Feedback on Solaris Studio 12.2 Documentation
          1. Please provide an HTML version of the Sun Performance Library documentation.

2. Provide links to the Solaris Studio documentation in the Forum.

3. Provide a link to a page where a list of F2003 features and F95 extensiions can be found.

Thanks.
          • 2. Re: Looking for Feedback on Solaris Studio 12.2 Documentation
            rchrd - oracle
            1. Please provide an HTML version of the Sun Performance Library documentation.
            Ah. Now that's a problem. The manual contains a lot of mathematical expressions which do not convert
            well to HTML. We've tried to generate usable HTML from the sources, but it's not reliable or accurate.
            Considering the amount of math expressions, the PDF is pretty good. So why do you prefer HTML to PDF?

2. Provide links to the Solaris Studio documentation in the Forum.
            Here it is again:
            http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/E18659_01/index.html

3. Provide a link to a page where a list of F2003 features and F95 extensiions can be found.
            It's in the Fortran manual, Chapter 4
            http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/E18659_01/html/821-1382/aevlr.html
            In particular:
            http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/E18659_01/html/821-1382/aevnh.html
            • 3. Re: Looking for Feedback on Solaris Studio 12.2 Documentation
              So why do you prefer HTML to PDF?

It is much faster to search and move through links in the HTML version. Easier on my aging eyes, too, since one can change background color, font and font size more easily in a browser.

Net Appliances all come with a browser, but not always a PDF viewer.

What is the source form of the Sun Perf. Lib. documents? Latex? GRoff? ...?

Provide links to the Solaris Studio documentation in the Forum

Often, while answering posts in the Forum, I need to look up the Sun documentation. Having a sticky set of links at the top of the Forum would make it convenient for users to look them up.

Please compare to the Intel Software Forums, e.g., the "Useful Links" block, at Intel MKL Forum.

Edited by: mecej4 on Apr 19, 2011 5:20 AM

Edited by: mecej4 on Apr 19, 2011 5:23 AM

Edited by: mecej4 on Apr 19, 2011 5:25 AM
              • 4. Re: Looking for Feedback on Solaris Studio 12.2 Documentation
                rchrd - oracle
                mecej4 wrote:
                So why do you prefer HTML to PDF?

It is much faster to search and move through links in the HTML version. Easier on my aging eyes, too, since one can change background color, font and font size more easily in a browser.

Net Appliances all come with a browser, but not always a PDF viewer.
                Understood. Nearly all the Oracle Solaris Studio documentation is available in both HTML and PDF. HTML is best for viewing online, PDF for printing. However, some legacy Sun documentation could not be converted to HTML because they use lots of math expressions. The Perf lib User Guide is one of those. Another is the Numerical Computation Guide.

>
                What is the source form of the Sun Perf. Lib. documents? Latex? GRoff? ...?
                Legacy FrameMaker, with lots of FrameMath. The rest of the doc set is in SGML, converted from Frame successfully many years ago.

>
                Provide links to the Solaris Studio documentation in the Forum

Often, while answering posts in the Forum, I need to look up the Sun documentation. Having a sticky set of links at the top of the Forum would make it convenient for users to look them up.

Please compare to the Intel Software Forums, e.g., the "Useful Links" block, at Intel MKL Forum.
                Very good idea. I'll look into it. Thanks!
                • 5. Re: Looking for Feedback on Solaris Studio 12.2 Documentation
                  I could use more documentation on the "discover" tool.

For example, I am getting SBR errors... but I do not see any documentation for what that means. The online documentation omits this error type.
                  • 6. Re: Looking for Feedback on Solaris Studio 12.2 Documentation
                    rchrd - oracle
                    856869 wrote:
                    I could use more documentation on the "discover" tool.

For example, I am getting SBR errors... but I do not see any documentation for what that means. The online documentation omits this error type.
                    Let me see if I can get that for you.
                    • 7. Re: Looking for Feedback on Solaris Studio 12.2 Documentation
                      Rajp-Oracle
                      I know you have a more general concern, but here is the answer on SBR.

SBR - beyond Stack Bounds Read

foo () {
                      int a[5] = {0, 1, 2, 3, 4};
                      int i = a[-100]; // Read is beyond stack frame bounds
                      }

Possible causes: Reading a local array past the end or before the start.
                      • 8. Re: Looking for Feedback on Solaris Studio 12.2 Documentation
                        Hi,

Just a few ideas:

- HTML is really nice, yes. Much easier than PDF.
                        - The Sun Studio 12 documentation includes a lot of stuff that isn't available in the 12.2. For example, there are quite a few references in 12.2 to the Fortran Programming Guide, which is only available in the 12 doc. There's no link to it anywhere.
                        - One little thing that I find annoying is the incoherency between the documentations for the different compilers. Both the C and Fortran doc have directly-accessible option lists, but the C++ one is hidden in an appendix. Moreover, still in the C++ option doc there are all those sub-items ("values", "warnings") that are useless and only make the list of options less readable.

Apart from that, I really like the documentation, and I rely on it a lot!

Keep up the good work. :)
                        • 9. Re: Looking for Feedback on Solaris Studio 12.2 Documentation
                          User13277775-Oracle
                          I'm missing a good reference for building/porting gcc-specific code to Solaris with Studio. There are bits and pieces all over the internet but having it collected by the Studio team in one place and kept in sync with the current Studio release would be great.

Also there seems to be no documentation of the various error messages. E.g. googling for "Error: x may not have a type qualifier" only gives my own question in this forum and two people dealing with the same problem elsewhere. I would like to see a site with a complete list of the error messages, how they are triggered and how to fix the issues, together with sample source code for each.

that's all :-)
                          • 10. Re: Looking for Feedback on Solaris Studio 12.2 Documentation
                            NikMolchanov
                            Richard, thank you, this is a very good collection of documents!
                            I think it makes sense to add more pictures to the documents that describe GUI tools.
                            For example there is a document about Performance Analyzer GUI, which explains
                            what user can see and do in its tabs, but this explanation will be much better if there
                            was a picture for each tab.

Thanks.
                            Nik