This discussion is archived
3 Replies Latest reply: Nov 6, 2011 2:25 AM by se*328623*78 RSS

JAXB factory method - for multiple objects

857137 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
looking at the documentation i see that the only option for using a factory method in order to create an object is providing an objectFactory class and method. However this method is with no-args.
is there a way to work around it?

The reason i'm asking is because i already have a factory for the items in my project, which has a single "create" method that recieves a class name and return a new instance of that class (with some wiring). I cannot use this factory since i need to pass the class name as an argument, which is something i cannot do in JAXB.
i want to refrain from creating a method for each different item and use this method in @XmlType since i have hundreds items like this.

Any idea?

Thanks,
Moish
  • 1. Re: JAXB factory method - for multiple objects
    jtahlborn Expert
    you should be able to pretty easily auto-generate the factory class. just create the template factory class:
    public class MyFactory {

// auto-gen these methods for all instances of "Foo"
      public static Foo createFoo() {
        return create(Foo.class);
      }

public static <T> T create(Class<T> clazz) {
        // do your custom magic here
      }
    }
    then, create a simple input-file with the jaxb class names (or use some filesystem or reflection magic to find them at compile time) and create a little pre-build step which spits out the factory class for you.
  • 2. Re: JAXB factory method - for multiple objects
    857137 Newbie
    Thanks for your reply!

I thought about auto-generation, however it will require to go over all the classes and set the exact factory method in @XmlType.
    Also, it would requires everyone how write new class to set the factory method for it.
    Since there are lots of objects, and i'm afraid ppl will forget to put factory-method, i'm looking for something which would be more transparent (if possible).

Thanks again!
  • 3. Re: JAXB factory method - for multiple objects
    se*328623*78 Newbie
    I have exactly the same problem. Did you manage to find a solution ? if so please publish it !.

thanks

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points