This discussion is archived
5 Replies Latest reply: Nov 8, 2012 3:40 PM by 973356 RSS

Oracle Client 11gR2 Install on Ubuntu 11.04

773992 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
I haven't had any luck getting the Oracle Client 11.2.0.2 to install on Ubuntu 11.04 using the typical methods of installing older c++ libraries, and creating links in /bin. The method here has worked for me before, but now the installer blows up at the linking stage.

Has anyone else been able to get the 11.2.0.2 client installed in Ubuntu 11.04?
  • 1. Re: Oracle Client 11gR2 Install on Ubuntu 11.04
    Dude! Guru
    What exactly are you trying to install onto which platform? What is the error?

Perhaps you can use Oracle SQL developer instead of Oracle client, which is supported under Ubuntu.
  • 2. Re: Oracle Client 11gR2 Install on Ubuntu 11.04
    773992 Newbie
    It's important for me to have the full client working.

Upon further investigation there are a couple libraries under /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/ that would normally be under /usr/lib/

ln -s /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libpthread_nonshared.a /usr/lib/libpthread_nonshared.a

ln -s /usr/lib/libpthread_nonshared.a /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libpthread_nonshared.a

After creating the links the installer worked just fine, and I am happily using the full oracle client on Ubuntu 11.04.

Edited by: DSn0wMan on Apr 25, 2011 4:37 PM
  • 3. Re: Oracle Client 11gR2 Install on Ubuntu 11.04
    860108 Newbie
    I have the same problem! I ran your two ln statements but still have no luck. I just want the Oracle Client (linuz_11gR2_client.zip) with sqlldr up and running. I don't even need a full database!
    INFO: genclntsh: Failed to link libclntsh.so.11.1
  • 4. Re: Oracle Client 11gR2 Install on Ubuntu 11.04
    773992 Newbie
    Did you take a look at the link in my first post? You pretty much need everything mentioned there aside from the kernel perameters, and users/groups. I would guess by your error that you are missing libstdc++ 5, or some library.

I posted all the steps I took, on my blog so I can remember what to do next time. http://dsn0wman.blogspot.com/2011/04/install-oracle-11gr2-client-on-ubuntu.html

Edited by: DSn0wMan on May 6, 2011 7:48 AM

Edited by: DSn0wMan on May 6, 2011 7:49 AM
  • 5. Re: Oracle Client 11gR2 Install on Ubuntu 11.04
    973356 Newbie
    Note: Your blogged process works on 12.10 except for one addition:

The oracle installer is looking for a /usr/lib64 directory, since the 64-bit library directory on Ubuntu is /usr/lib (with /usr/lib32 being the 32-bit directory) you need to do the following to get the client to install and link properly:

sudo ln -s /usr/lib /usr/lib64

This will cause the installer to look at the proper libraries. This is IN ADDITION TO what you've posted on your blog.

--Doug                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points