1 Reply Latest reply: May 11, 2011 9:40 AM by 557147 RSS

Reports with output to excel - special characters not displayed correctly.

Hi,
      I have a portal with data from 5 continents. In many places special or national characters are used in names. My portal can show most of these characters correctly and so can my version of Microsoft Office Excel. When text with these characters are copy/pasted from the screen to an excel sheet, they are also shown correctly in excel. The problem arises in portal reports, where output is set to Excel, then special characters are often displayed as strange double characters, for example á is shown as á . Does anybody have a solution to that?
      Thanks
      Arne
        • 1. Re: Reports with output to excel - special characters not displayed correctly.
          No answers have been posted yet and now I have found a solution myself. The portal report is run and output set to Excel. The resulting file is opened, and a new row is inserted in the top of the sheet. In the first field in this row is written the characters *\xEF\xBB\xBF*. It is called a UTF-8 BOM, and when written in the start of a text file, it will tell the program that opens it, that UTF-8 encoding is used.<br><br>
          The file is saved with the file type CSV (semicolon separated) (*.csv) and excel is closed. When you click on the CSV-file, it is opened by excel, and now all characters with accents, circumflexes and umlauts are shown correctly.<br><br>
          The solution was found here: http://www.roosmaa.net/importing-utf-8-csvs-in-excel/