1 2 Previous Next 22 Replies Latest reply on Aug 4, 2011 9:31 AM by Luis

Workspaces in APEX

Hello,

I've successfully installed APEX with the following arquithecture:

APEX 4.0.2 en
      Oracle 11gR2 on RAC
      Windows Server 2008 x64
      Weblogic with Oracle Application Express Listener

My question is: Is it possible to create an workspace using a different database? Other than the one that has the APEX_PUBLIC_USER, APEX_040000.

Thanks,

Edited by: neoon on 9/Mai/2011 4:39
        • 1. Re: Workspaces in APEX
          Udo
          Hello,

with "database" you refer to "schema", right?
          Usually, you'll be asked to asked to assign an existing or new schema to your new workspace, so I assume you haven't created a workspace yet.
          Login to the APEX internal administration (http://yourhost:yourport/apex/apex_admin) as admin, go to "Manage Workspaces" and start the "Create Workspace" wizard.
          For existing workspaces, you can add additional schemas to be available for application development in APEX. The wizard can be found in "Manage Workspaces" > "Manage Workspace to Schema Assignments".

Note that this is a general APEX question, whereas this forum is dedicated to the APEX Listener.
          If you need additional information on how to use APEX, please post in {forum:id=137}

Thanks,

-Udo
          • 2. Re: Workspaces in APEX
            Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

But when i mean database i mean database not schema. :o)

Is it possible?

Regards,
            • 3. Re: Workspaces in APEX
              Udo
              Hi,

no, APEX can only access schemas in the same database instance you have that APEX installed to. If you want to access a different database instance, you need to install APEX there. Of course, you can deploy or start a second APEX Listener instance that points to this second database instance.
              To access data in different database instances, you'll have to use 'conventional' means like database links. Of course, you could also use APEX Listeners Resource Templates to include certain data from a second instance in an application located in your primary instance.

-Udo
              • 4. Re: Workspaces in APEX
                Thanks for the reply.

tell me one more thing... if you know.

how can i change the Service Name on Oracle Application Listener?

It is "blocked".

thanks,
                • 5. Re: Workspaces in APEX
                  Udo
                  Actually, the database configuration is the only "read only" item in listenerAdmin. This is due to the fact that once you've configured the connection parameters, you have a living connection pool you'd have to reset. This might cause more trouble as this reset might be seen as an invisible side-effect and may not even be supported without application restart on some platforms.
                  You need to stop the APEX Listener instance, edit the corresponding parameter in the apex-config.xml, and start the Listener again.
                  You'll find the apex-config.xml in +${java.io.tmpdir}/apex+ if you haven't configured the application to use a different location.

-Udo
                  1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Workspaces in APEX
                    Thanks for the reply.

But how do i stop the listener service?

This is new to me.

Regards,
                    • 7. Re: Workspaces in APEX
                      Udo
                      Well, the Listener is just one application in your WLS.
                      I'm not sure which WLS version you use, but here is a good step-by-step description for starting/stopping applications in WLS: http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/E12839_01/apirefs.1111/e13952/taskhelp/applications/StopDeployedEnterpriseApplications.html

-Udo
                      • 8. Re: Workspaces in APEX
                        Thanks for the reply again

ok i use weblogic and already stoped the service. know i have to figure out where is the apex-config.xml.
                        Man this is hard...

Many thanks
                        • 9. Re: Workspaces in APEX
                          Hello,

I just can't find apex-config.xml

This is horrible
                          • 10. Re: Workspaces in APEX
                            Udo
                            Hello again,

it should be in your "java.io.tmpdir". If you didn't configure any special value for that environment variable, it'll be on its default. However, I assume you've already run a file system search for that file. As far as I know, WLS cleans up tmpdir on restart. I wasn't sure if this happens when the application is stopped or when it is started again - probably it happens in both cases to ensure the application doesn't hit old temporary content.
                            If this is true, you need to start the application again and configure it for your desired instance. You should find the apex-config.xml afterwards. Make a copy of it to some place outside the tmp. Then start to configure the APEX Listener to use a different place for storing/searching the config file, because you'll obviously lose the configuration every time your temp is cleaned up otherwhise, and this might not only be on restart, but also after a certain period of time.
                            For details on configuring, see section A-1 of the "Installation and Developer Guide" for the APEX Listener or Colm's post: {message:id=9533521} (or some other post concerning the config file location - you'll find plenty here).

-Udo
                            • 11. Re: Workspaces in APEX
                              Men... you have been very helpfull
                              • 12. Re: Workspaces in APEX
                                Udo
                                You're welcome - that's what this forum is supposed to be. ;)
                                I'm glad about every user who starts to use APEX Listener, so I'm glad to hear you get it running.

-Udo
                                • 13. Re: Workspaces in APEX
                                  Aaarrrggghhh,

What am i doing wrong?

We have changed the apex.war to apex_2.war to correct the issue with the apex-config.xml.

Unwar the file changed the web.xml on the config.dir, uncomment and changed the dir to: D:/Applics/BI. And then war again.

And now it stop showing the beautifull login page of the Oracle Application Listener. Better, it shows a web page with no icons, only the items in the listenerConfigure page. And gives me an error when i try to Apply the values that i give in.

Universal Connection Pool: oracle.ucp.UniversalConnectionPoolException

Help please
                                  • 14. Re: Workspaces in APEX
                                    it seems that, some away, ive locked APEX_PUBLIC_USER and FLOWS_40000.

Solution unlock these users

Problem solved.

Thanks again Udo
                                    1 2 Previous Next