Remedies tried:

Commands tried:

mount - mount not found
ls     - ls not found
echo * - listed file of /
echo /etc/* listed file of /etc
echo /usr/* printed /usr/*
/etc/mount – listed mounted filesystems only / but not /var, /opt, /usr

Tried mounting /usr slice /dev/dsk/c1t1d0s5 result: I/O Error.
fsck /dev/rdsk/c1t1d0s5 resulted in the same error
could not halt the O/S and only brute force STOP-A aborted to OBP prompt.
System was switched off and interchanged disk1 and disk2 (c1t1 & c1t2) and
booted with boot –s and error message said : the file loaded does not seem
to be executable
The disk positions were restored to original positions.
Booted with CDROM –s using Solaris 8 CD, initiated fsck -y successfully on all
devices including /dev/rdsk/c1t1d0s5 (/usr). Mounted / file system to check the
entries /etc/vfstab and they seemed okay. Mounting /usr slice was also success-
ful.
Rebooted the system with –rs and no change in the situation.
Repeated previous step in vain. Tempted to reinstall the O/S, but decided not to take
that ultimate step and gave it a thought as time was not constraint and the machine was
a standalone server meant to be experimented and I was just trying to exploit my
free time between my routines.
Checked back with the owner of m/c and got an indefinite answer about which was
the boot disk. Indefinite because they were trying to simulate certain application
problem from the field. Somehow my instincts keep telling me that O/S cannot have
crashed because I was able to mount and run fsck of all slices successfully. Time was
flying but ultimatum was not set for this task. I considered swap partition could be
the cause and recreated /dev/dsk/c0t1d0s1 and tried the booting process in vain.
A harsh step was taken to rename the /usr and recreate that subdirectory. Booting
problem would not change. A bolt from the blue forced to me change the vfstab
entries to point to the second drive and change default boot drive to drive 2. Now
interchanged the drives and booted with boot –rs faced the same old error. But this
time when I forcibly tried to mount /usr slice (c1t2d0s5) and the error was: /dev/dsk/c1t2d0s5
or /usr no such file or directory. With echo /dev/dsk/*, not only /dev/dsk/c1t2d0s5 but also
s1 to s7 were missing. Now I considered the situation to be in my favour. Booted again with
boot CDROM (full boot to Enable cut/copy/paste) and created the missing special files using the
command:
mknod /devices/pci@8,600000/SUNW,qlc@4/fp@0,0/ssd@w500000e010682131,0:f b 118 3
along with the symbolic link in /dev/dsk:
ln –s ../.. /devices/pci@8,600000/SUNW,qlc@4/fp@0,0/ssd@w500000e010682131,0:f c0t2d0s5
and system was booted with –rs option expecting other devices s1 to s7 to get created
automatically. O/S booted, mounted /usr but failed to reconfigure the system throwing the
error /dev/fb read only filesystem, but when I check with mount command all filesystems were
mounted in read/write mode. Again system was rebooted and repeated the above steps to
create s1, s3 and s4 device files. Device files under/dev/rdsk were also created. Next boot –rs
continued to throw the same error readonly filesystem. Situation remained same even after
the creation of s2, s6 and s7 were missing. But at this point of time I wanted to edit /etc/vfstab
file for making changes and could not save because of readonly mounting of / filesystem and
happened to check the list of mounted filesystems I found that / was mounted on
/devices/pci@8,600000/SUNW,qlc@4/fp@0,0/ssd@w500000e010682131,0:a instead of
/dev/dsk/c1t2d0s0. Booting with CDROM –s to run fsck also did yield any success. Finally
I took the brute force step of recreating:
/devices/pci@8,600000/SUNW,qlc@4/fp@0,0/ssd@w500000e010682131,0:a
and the symbolic link /dev/dsk/c1t2d0s0. Now booted the system with –rs and everything
was ok and just pressed ^D and was presented with GUI login. SUCCESS AT LAST.

With all said and done I wonder if there were simpler steps to cut short the recovery?

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points