2 Replies Latest reply: May 31, 2011 2:43 AM by 75407 RSS

Solaris for Beginners

A fellow system admin and myself (fairly new with our company) have inherited a severly under-maintained network, which includes Windows boxes as well as Solaris boxes. We're working to get an ATO so that we can connect our network online as it is currently offline. The problem is not with Windows at all, but it's with their Solaris counterparts. Neither of us have any real Solaris experience but we're now expected to get all of our Solaris boxes updated and keep them maintained.

The question I have is, does anyone know where we could find some reading material that will help us grasp the basic concepts of maintaining a Solaris box? Any advice/information will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
        • 1. Re: Solaris for Beginners
          alan.pae
          http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/documentation/solaris-10-192992.html
          • 2. Re: Solaris for Beginners
            857883 wrote:
            A fellow system admin and myself (fairly new with our company) have inherited a severly under-maintained network, which includes Windows boxes as well as Solaris boxes. We're working to get an ATO so that we can connect our network online as it is currently offline. The problem is not with Windows at all, but it's with their Solaris counterparts. Neither of us have any real Solaris experience but we're now expected to get all of our Solaris boxes updated and keep them maintained.

The question I have is, does anyone know where we could find some reading material that will help us grasp the basic concepts of maintaining a Solaris box? Any advice/information will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
            I think the open solaris bible ( 978-0470385487) covers a lot fairly well and is fairly well up to date.

Oracle/Sun documentation is obviously more authorative.