11 Replies Latest reply: May 20, 2011 7:17 PM by Catch-22 RSS

gnome desktop icons dissappear

user483999
      the gnome desktop icons, terminal,trash,computer etc. dissappear from the desktop ?

how do i get them back without exiting the session and logging back in ?
        • 1. Re: gnome desktop icons dissappear
          Catch-22
          Please always post your Oracle Linux version and what display manager you use, e.g. KDE or Gnome.

What happens if you open a terminal window and type "nautilus" ?
          • 2. Re: gnome desktop icons dissappear
            user483999
            nautilus gets me a gui file manager... i'm on oracle linux version 5.6 and i'm using gnome as my gui..
            • 3. Re: gnome desktop icons dissappear
              Catch-22
              Perhaps the following will work for you:

Open a terminal window and type the following:
              yum install gconf-editor
              gconf-editor
              Choose apps->nautilus->desktop

Select the box beside computer_icon_visible, home_icon_visible, and trash_icon_visible.
              The changes take effect immediately.
              • 4. Re: gnome desktop icons dissappear
                user483999
                should i follow the procedure when the icons dissappear. because normally they're on the desktop. they seem to dissappear after the session has been opened for a while ?
                • 5. Re: gnome desktop icons dissappear
                  Catch-22
                  I'm not aware of such a problem. From what I understand, your desktop icons are controlled by Nautilus. Perhaps the process keeps crashing or perhaps you have a cronjob running that's affecting files in your $HOME/.nautilus directory. You could also try to remove the directory and have it recreated in case permissions or data is screwed up.
                  • 6. Re: gnome desktop icons dissappear
                    user483999
                    it appears the problem is occuring after the session had been idle for a period of time > 3 hours... the icons disappear but the terminal sessions are still available... this is the error information:

]0;oracle@aether:~[oracle@aether ~]$ (/usr/bin/gnome-session&)
                    ]0;oracle@aether:~[oracle@aether ~]$ SESSION_MANAGER=local/aether:/tmp/.ICE-unix/13610
                    Window manager warning: Log level 32: could not find XKB extension.
                    Initializing nautilus-open-terminal extension

** (nm-applet:13705): WARNING **: <WARN> applet_dbus_manager_start_service(): Could not acquire the NetworkManagerUserSettings service.
                    Message: 'Connection ":1.54" is not allowed to own the service "org.freedesktop.NetworkManagerUserSettings" due to security policies in the configuration file'

Introspect error: A security policy in place prevents this sender from sending this message to this recipient, see message bus configuration file (rejected message had interface "org.freedesktop.DBus.Introspectable" member "Introspect" error name "(unset)" destination "edu.duke.linux.yum")
                    Traceback (most recent call last):
                    File "/usr/bin/puplet", line 467, in ?
                    main()
                    File "/usr/bin/puplet", line 464, in main
                    p.run()
                    File "/usr/bin/puplet", line 451, in run
                    self._refreshInfo()
                    File "/usr/bin/puplet", line 191, in _refreshInfo
                    if self.updatesObject is not None and \
                    AttributeError: DBusException instance has no attribute '_dbus_error_name'
                    Unable to open desktop file /usr/share/applications/redhat-email.desktop for panel launcher: No such file or directory
                    Unable to open desktop file /usr/share/applications/openoffice.org-1.9-writer.desktop for panel launcher: No such file or directory
                    Unable to open desktop file /usr/share/applications/openoffice.org-1.9-impress.desktop for panel launcher: No such file or directory
                    Unable to open desktop file /usr/share/applications/openoffice.org-1.9-calc.desktop for panel launcher: No such file or directory
                    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

is there any command to refresh the desktop ?
                    • 7. Re: gnome desktop icons dissappear
                      Catch-22
                      Is this a remote session or console session? Is your /etc/hosts file configured properly?
                      • 8. Re: gnome desktop icons dissappear
                        user483999
                        this is a remote session, i found that by executing ./nautilus, the icons are restored... if run from a terminal session that session has to stay open, as soon as i close the terminal session the icons dissappear... if i restart the remote session the icons are restored ?
                        • 9. Re: gnome desktop icons dissappear
                          Catch-22
                          How do you establish the remote session?
                          • 10. Re: gnome desktop icons dissappear
                            user483999
                            i'm using exceed's (opentext formerly hummingbird) secure shell
                            • 11. Re: gnome desktop icons dissappear
                              Catch-22
                              Can you create a new, different user account and check if the problem persists?