10 Replies Latest reply: May 18, 2011 4:19 PM by jgarry RSS

OEM health check

Hi guys

i want to run oracle health check i.e

1. check security on the users , roles , privileges
      2. db maintenance
      3. all reports to check the databases

but the main thing is i have to use Enterprise Manager (OEM) to do all that.

we are ruining oracle 10g r2 and 11g

you help with be greatly appreciated.
        • 1. Re: OEM health check
          clcarter
          OEM can do all that, and more, but it does require some time to set up and familiarise yourself with the product.

Suggest reviewing the OEM docs, especially release notes for your platform, here's the Concepts doc: http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/em.102/b31949/toc.htm

A 10g OEM can manage 11g instances as well, we've got much more 10g than 11g so I can't offer too much insight on the 11g topic- 11g OEM is slightly different as well.
          • 2. Re: OEM health check
            that's a very heavy doc you have provided .. thanks any clue what to look for especially in terms of
            setting up and checking database security...

thanks
            • 3. Re: OEM health check
              Helios-GunesEROL
              Hi;

I suggest also see below note and link

Comparison Between the Database Healthcheck and Database Response Metrics [ID 469227.1]
              http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/E11857_01/em.111/b25986/oracle_database.htm#sthref924

Regard
              Helios
              • 4. Re: OEM health check
                Aman....
                For security, you may want to read project lockdown from Arup Nanda,
                http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/articles/index-087388.html

Aman....
                • 5. Re: OEM health check
                  hi guys it's all good but you are missing a major key point.

i need to use oracle enterprise manager OEM to do database security check, health check and other critical loop wholes...

thanks look forward to hear from you all
                  • 6. Re: OEM health check
                    sb92075
                    i need to use oracle enterprise manager OEM to do database security check, health check and other critical loop wholes...
                    please proceed to do so.
                    • 7. Re: OEM health check
                      people please i am new at this, so please be patient with me ....

all i asked is that :

1. how can i enforce oracle security features using OEM , cause in 11g OEM is playing more important part to do daily database management.

2. what i am trying to do is first generate db health report to check the weak point like you can do in toad
                      except that this should be only done in OEM.

thanks for help
                      • 8. Re: OEM health check
                        sybrand_b
                        And all we ask is, given Oracle is a documented product
                        - why don't you read documentation
                        (You can not use Oracle without reading documentation)
                        - why do you ask volunteers to abstract documentation?
                        Most people here answering questions were also once new to this. The worldwideweb didn't yet exist. And yes we read documentation, we still do.
                        You can do that too.

---------
                        Sybrand Bakker
                        Senior Oracle DBA
                        • 9. Re: OEM health check
                          sb92075
                          this should be only done in OEM.
                          When your only tool is a hammer, all problems are viewed as nails.
                          While a hammer is a GREAT tool, it is suboptimal to divide 1 board into 2 pieces

Those who live by the GUI, die by the GUI.

OEM is NOT required to operate or maintain any Oracle RDBMS
                          • 10. Re: OEM health check
                            jgarry
                            855161 wrote:
                            hi guys it's all good but you are missing a major key point.

What if EM is the loophole? What if it spews information to the web? What if Oracle claims something is not EM but shares the configuration?

Run this:

$ORACLE_HOME/ccr/bin/emCCR status

By default, it is collecting your Network Interface MAC accress [sic] and listing all your users into a world-readable directory. Then when you use support, you are badgered to automatically upload all the information.

Or maybe I live in some parallel universe and I just don't understand what is happening in your universe.