RMAN connection

KVB
      I am using rman at my home

I just followed the below commands

cd $ORACLE_HOME/bin
      rman

rman>backup database

It failed..

May i know the basic reason why it was failed.

If i want to create a recovery catalog,how can i follow stepwise?
        • 1. Re: RMAN connection
          Pavan Kumar
          Hi,

Refer to Oracle doc :
          http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B28359_01/backup.111/b28273/rcmsynta040.htm
          cd $ORACLE_HOME/bin
          rman

rman>backup database

It failed..
          what's error.. ?
          Have you set the ORACLE_SID

- Pavan Kumar N
          • 2. Re: RMAN connection
            CKPT
            Post here

what is the command and what is the error. THen it will help much
            • 3. Re: RMAN connection
              Helios-GunesEROL
              Hi;

cd $ORACLE_HOME/bin
              rman
              rman>backup database
              It failed..
              1. What is your DB version
              2. What is your OS
              3. Your db working archivelog mode?

sqlplus "/as sysdba"
              select mode from v$database;

Regard
              Helios
              • 4. Re: RMAN connection
                rajeysh
                KVB wrote:

cd $ORACLE_HOME/bin
                rman

rman>backup database

It failed..

please always post your questions with oracle version and os version and name.
                also post the error message you get. that will help others to help you.

check whether the database is in archivelog mode or not?

select log_mode from v$database;

archive log list;

if you database is in noarchivelog mode...

then your rman backup command will fail and gives the error message..
                RMAN-03009: failure of backup command on ORA_DISK_4 channel at 05/17/2011 16:11:42
                ORA-19602: cannot backup or copy active file in NOARCHIVELOG mode
                refer:- backup and recovery basics guide..this will helps you
                http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/backup.102/b14192/toc.htm
                • 5. Re: RMAN connection
                  Lubiez Jean-Valentin
                  Hello,

For that, you have to post the error message you got.
                  These links may guide you in this task:

http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/E11882_01/backup.112/e10642/rcmcatdb.htm#BRADV179

http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/E11882_01/backup.112/e10643/rcmsynta013.htm#RCMRF117

However, it's important that you give the Oracle Version as the syntax may change from one Version to another.

Hope this help.
                  Best regards,
                  Jean-Valentin
                  • 6. Re: RMAN connection
                    EdStevens
                    KVB wrote:

cd $ORACLE_HOME/bin
                    rman

rman>backup database

It failed..
                    >
                    My car failed to start this morning
                    May I know the basic reason it was failed to start?

While you have made this really challenging by failing to provide any error messages related to "it was failed", if what you showed us in the way of commands issued is complete, I'd guess that "it was failed" because you failed to connect to the database. Did you notice in the rman documentation (you did read the documentation, right?) that there is a CONNECT command?

>
                    If your unspecified version of oracle is 10.2, then check http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/backup.102/b14191/rcmarchi.htm#sthref53

That said ....
                    =================================================
                    I don't want to be flippant or rude, but if people want to be professionals in ANY field, the first knowledge they need to acquire is how to locate AND USE+ the fundamental reference materials for that profession. And the most important trait, the one for which they are really hired, is the ability to do independent research, and having a modicum of curiosity that would drive one to do that research. We don't mind helping newbies, and even the most experienced person on this board will run into something they are not familiar with, or occasionally just require a second set of eyes to look at something. But a professional+ needs, above all, a willingness and capability to check the docs. A professional isn't necessarily someone who has all the answers at their fingertips or has a full understanding about every arcane subject in their field. It certainly isn't someone who has an encyclopedia full of memorized answers but little understanding of how it all fits together. It's someone who knows where to find the answers when needed, how to recognize them when he sees them. It's less about knowing than it is about attitude. Everything you asked can be answered in the Oracle Concepts Manual at tahiti.oracle.com. You should bookmark that site.
                    =================================================
                    Learning how to look things up in the documentation is time well spent investing in your career. To that end, you should drop everything else you are doing and do the following:

Go to tahiti.oracle.com.

Drill down to your product and version.

<b><i><u>BOOKMARK THAT LOCATION</u></i></b>

Spend a few minutes just getting familiar with what is available here. Take special note of the "books" and "search" tabs. Under the "books" tab you will find the complete documentation library.

Spend a few minutes just getting familiar with what <b><i><u>kind</u></i></b> of documentation is available there by simply browsing the titles under the "Books" tab.
                    (For the 10.2 doc set, there are four titles that begin with "Backup and Recovery . . . " - including "Backup and Recovery Quick Start Guide"

Open the Reference Manual and spend a few minutes looking through the table of contents to get familiar with what <b><i><u>kind</u></i></b> of information is available there.

Do the same with the SQL Reference Manual.

Do the same with the Utilities manual.

You don't have to read the above in depth. They are <b><i><u>reference</b></i></u> manuals. Just get familiar with <b><i><u>what</b></i></u> is there to <b><i><u>be</b></i></u> referenced. Ninety percent of the questions asked on this forum can be answered in less than 5 minutes by simply searching one of the above manuals.

Then set yourself a plan to dig deeper.
                    - Read a chapter a day from the Concepts Manual.
                    - Take a look in your alert log. One of the first things listed at startup is the initialization parms with non-default values. Read up on each one of them (listed in your alert log) in the Reference Manual.
                    - Take a look at your listener.ora, tnsnames.ora, and sqlnet.ora files. Go to the Network Administrators manual and read up on everything you see in those files.
                    - When you have finished reading the Concepts Manual, do it again.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish and he eats for a lifetime.

=================================