This discussion is archived
6 Replies Latest reply: Sep 8, 2011 5:34 AM by Arie Geller RSS

Apex translation vs. export/import

863311 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hello,

we had several problems with the translation in APEX, here is the newest one:

We applied a translation for an app, and then we exported and imported the app.
We tried to map, ..., publish the translation again. It was ok.
But when we change the language, nothing happens.
Every label remains the same.
I think it is because every id in the export file has changed.

Why the ids change??
What should we do now? Should we make the translation again? (cca. 50.000 items).

Any help would be appreciated!

(Apex version 4.0)

Thanks in advance!
  • 1. Re: Apex translation vs. export/import
    Arie Geller Guru
    Hello (please tell us your first name),

>> We applied a translation for an app, and then we exported and imported the app.
    We tried to map, ..., publish the translation again.

Are you talking about deploying the application into a second development instance, or into production?

First, you shouldremember that you must not change the application ID of the translated application.

Secondly, if you are deploying into a production instance, you need to export both the primary language application and the translated one (this is the only case where you are actually treat the translated application as an independent unit). On the production instance, first import the primary language application and then the translated one.

You only need to re-map, re-apply and re-publish the translated application (using the XLIFF file) if you are going to use the Application Builder to make some changes into your application in the new instance. In this case, and to retain the viability of the XLIFF file, you must use the original translated application ID (as I mentioned before).

>> But when we change the language, nothing happens.

Assuming you installed the translated application correctly (i.e. used its original application ID) the APEX engine derived the application language based on the Application Language Derived From field (Shared Components ==> Edit Globalization Attributes).

If you suspect the problem might emanate from this parameter, please give us more details regarding your settings.

Regards,
    Arie.

-------------------------------------------------------
    ♦ Please remember to mark appropriate posts as correct/helpful. For the long run, it will benefit us all.

♦ Author of Oracle Application Express 3.2 – The Essentials and More
  • 2. Re: Apex translation vs. export/import
    863311 Newbie
    Hello,

thanks for the answer!
    Wow, I didn't know that. Is it possible to export/import the Translated Application separately? How can I do it?
  • 3. Re: Apex translation vs. export/import
    Arie Geller Guru
    Hello,

>> Is it possible to export/import the Translated Application separately? How can I do it?

Go to Application Builder ==> Export ==> Application . The select list, which includes candidate applications for export, includes all the available applications in the current workspace, including the translated versions of multi-lingual applications. This is the only place where you should treat a translated application as an independent been. In all other cases, every manipulation of the translated version should go through the primary language application and a new seed and publish processes.

Regards,
    Arie.

♦ Please remember to mark appropriate posts as correct/helpful. For the long run, it will benefit us all.

• 4. Re: Apex translation vs. export/import
    863311 Newbie
    Thanks!
  • 5. Re: Apex translation vs. export/import
    Hari_639 Guru
    Hello Arie,

I have small query here..

When we import and install both original application (say 100) and translated application (say 101), then why do we need to apply translation again (using XLF file from previous environment/instance)? I mean, 101 should have all the translated labels, right?

Thanks and Regards,
    Hari
  • 6. Re: Apex translation vs. export/import
    Arie Geller Guru
    Hello Hari,

First, a general comment. You should avoid opening old threads, as the participants aren’t alerted for them. This specific thread is also marked as answered so it can be easily missed. Now, to your question …

>> … then why do we need to apply translation again (using XLF file from previous environment/instance)? I mean, 101 should have all the translated labels, right?

If you are talking about deploying an application for production, then you don’t need to upload the XLIFF file. The translated application export file includes all the relevant translated strings.

If, however, you are talking about replicating a development environment (like for QA) it might be a different story. Until 4.1, the translated application export file didn’t include statements for populating the translation repository (which means that the translation strings were actually hard coded in the new instance). If you were interesting in manipulating the translated repository, you had to populate it using the original XLIFF file. Starting with APEX 4.1, the export wizard includes an option to also export the translation repository so you don’t need to reuse the original XLIFF file even for translation related development tasks.

Regards,
    Arie.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points