This discussion is archived
3 Replies Latest reply: May 21, 2011 3:16 AM by 863465 RSS

can't find the proper sdk exe to start and run the SDK along with classes

863465 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hello:
I have downloaded the java sdk development, several versions of it. However, I cannot find not one proper exe file that will open the sdk development interfaces. I have searched my computer and it does seem that I have all the files such as bin, ect... , even some sample classes, except for the main sdk exe that will open the java classes. So, I need some help with this issue, which would be greatly appreciated.

Recency
  • 1. Re: can't find the proper sdk exe to start and run the SDK along with classes
    796440 Guru
    The SDK is not one single executable. And to "open java classes" doesn't really mean anything.

You'll want to start here:

http://download.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/getStarted/cupojava/index.html

Perhaps by "executing the JDK", you're talking about an IDE? If so, the NetBeans link on that page is what you're looking for. However, I strongly advise you to avoid IDEs and do things with a simple programmer's editor and command line until you a) have a good grasp of the language basics, and b) are clear on the concepts of language, IDE, JDK, and core API, and what separates one from the others.
  • 2. Re: can't find the proper sdk exe to start and run the SDK along with classes
    863465 Newbie
    First thank you for responding.

Anyway, what I am looking for is java platform to build, compile and debug a java code. It's been sometime since I have used j2sdk1.4.1_01, what seemed to be the platform that I have used to make java files. I have changed my computer, but kept the java classes and files that I have built. As far as I can recall, I have used a j2sdk1.4.1_01 platform to build compile and debug the code, but its no where to be found on my computer. I will give netbeans a try, maybe this is what I want, maybe this is the j2sdk1.4.1_01 platform with a name change.
  • 3. Re: can't find the proper sdk exe to start and run the SDK along with classes
    863465 Newbie
    "If so, the NetBeans link on that page is what you're looking for": Downloaded Netbean7 which Solved My problem.
    Wow, NetBeans is much more advanced IDE in comparision to the IDE I have used in the past for creating java classes. The NetBeans does seem to have the ability to use different java platforms.
    ThankYou

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points