1 2 Previous Next 18 Replies Latest reply on Dec 7, 2006 6:21 PM by M_Fighter

WEBUTIL

What version of MS WORD is required to work with WEBUTIL?
      The sample of code says I have to use WORD.APPLICATION but I'm getting error about every OLE method I try to perform. So maybe I need MS WORD 2000 to get WEBUTIL work?
        • 1. Re: WEBUTIL
          I believe that WebUtil assumes the Word 2000 (or later)object model.
          Word97 has a different object model.

For more details go to Microsoft's MSDN, search in the MS Office information for developers, Word2000 object model.
          • 2. Re: WEBUTIL
            Duncan Mills-Oracle
            WebUtil makes no assumptions at all about any OLE server version. It just privides generic OLE interfaces for you to use. So you have to write the correct calls for the version of Word you are using.
            • 3. Re: WEBUTIL
              How to make correct ole calls matching the version of the called program.

I am using webutil1.06 in 10g forms and 10g database. Webutil demo form wu_test_106.fmb OLE tab works fine with Word2003 but does not work in Word2002 or lower version of Word.

Is there any webutil-ole guide I should refer to make webutil client_ole run for these Word versions?
              • 4. Re: WEBUTIL
                Microsoft's Object Browser allows you to browse the object model for Word and many other applications. The easiest way I have found for writing OLE automation code is to write and test using VBA procedures, then translate the resulting code to PL/SQL. I say it is easier because the VBA IDE provides syntax checking of all statements, code completion, and meaningful error messages.

Once you are targeting web forms using the CLIENT_OLE2 package, doing initial prototyping and testing using VBA offers an additional benefit: launching a webutil-enabled form typically takes five or ten seconds. In VBA, an entire automation procedure can run to completion in that same 5-10 seconds! Prototyping automation procedures in PL/SQL via Forms needlessly forces you to repeatedly test the web deployment mechanism before the automation procedure itself has even been proven to work!

Search this forum using keywords VBA and Tutorial for information on using the Object Browser, examples of VBA automation code, and OLE2 counterparts. Although translating from VBA to OLE2 (or CLIENT_OLE2) could be automated with moderate effort, I continue to do this manually, because the process is quite straight-forward.

Regards,

Eric Adamson
                Lansing, Michigan
                • 5. Re: WEBUTIL
                  Hi Eric,

I went through your VBA tutorial. The VBA coding ran well in my machine. ole2 code ran in my server, but when I replaced ole2 to client_ole2 and form did not run.

I appreciate the VBA tutorial, I know now that the problem is not in my pl/sql code but something else.

null
                  • 6. Re: WEBUTIL
                    I'm glad you found the tutorial helpful. Regarding your difficulties, as you have already discovered, the transition from client-server OLE2 to webutil CLIENT_OLE2 unfortunately involves much more than replacing all instances of OLE2 with CLIENT_OLE2.

You will find much information and documentation on WebUtil here:

http://www.oracle.com/technology/products/forms/htdocs/webutil/webutil.htm

Please review this information and return to the forum with any questions that remain. You can download Jacob 1.8 from the following URL:

http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/jacob-project/jacob_18.zip?download

The WebUtil documentation will explain how to sign jacob.jar, and where to place this file and its companion, jacob.dll. It will also explain how to enable webutil support in your forms. The forums can be helpful for solving specific problems with webutil, but explaining the whole process here would simply be too difficult.

If you have already read the WebUtil documentation, please explain what steps you've taken to configure webutil on your system, and any specific problems you are having.

Eric Adamson
                    Lansing, Michigan
                    • 7. Re: WEBUTIL
                      Hi Eric,

Thanks for the reply. I have in fact tried everythibg from my end. I have also tried webutil demo and webutil.pdf, downloaded jacob.jar suggested by metalink.signed frmwebutil.jar frmall.jar, jacob.jar and many more with single key.
                      compiled webutil.pll.
                      attached pll in forms, subclassed webutil.olb in the forms object group. Added entries of jar files in forms_class_path,
                      placed dlls as suggested in the document. and my form does not work both in java plug ins and jinitiator.
                      The form runs in my home computer as desired.
                      Could not figure out the missing link.

ranjus
                      • 8. Re: WEBUTIL
                        At this point, my suggestion would be to launch your form at home, open the Java Console by double-clicking on the Java icon that appears in your system tray (near the clock), examine the console output that displays when your form runs successfully, and compare this with the console output that displays when running your form at work.

JInitiator displays helpful status information in the Java Console, indicating whether a required file (e.g. jacob.jar) has been freshly-downloaded from the application server, or is being loaded from the Oracle Jar Cache. (I assume the Java Plug-In gives similar information, but haven't worked with it enough to comment on it.)

If the Java Console gives no helpful clues, my next suggestion is to download SysInternals FileMon from http://www.sysinternals.com. This utility allows you to monitor all filesystem accesses on the client, to verify that jacob.jar and jacob.dll are being downloaded by JInitiator (or JPI), and ultimately found and accessed by your Forms applet. The "trick" to using FileMon effectively involves setting its filters wisely, so that it returns just enough information. FileMon made it possible for me to observe the mechanisms employed by JInitiator, and gain a much clearer understanding of what's going on, when a webutil-enabled form is run. Even those who are successfully using webutil will benefit from this exercise.

That's all I can suggest for now. If you can supply a few more clues, hopefully I or someone will be able to help you further.

Eric Adamson
                        Lansing, Michigan
                        • 9. Re: WEBUTIL
                          M_Fighter
                          Hi Eric;

I have success in insatll webutil and config it with the developer suite 10g realse 2,
                          but when finishing the same configuration in the oracle forms, reports service; it didn't work and i copy the error from the jinit.

and the applete didn't appear

Following Exception occured: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Illegal argument for colorScheme applet parameter

java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Illegal argument for colorScheme applet parameter

at oracle.forms.engine.Main.initDesktop(Unknown Source)

at oracle.forms.engine.Main.start(Unknown Source)

at sun.applet.AppletPanel.run(Unknown Source)

at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

Following Exception occured: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Illegal argument for colorScheme applet parameter

java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Illegal argument for colorScheme applet parameter

proxyHost=null

proxyPort=0

connectMode=HTTP, native.

إصدار بريمج Forms هو : 10.1.2.0

proxyHost=null

proxyPort=0

proxyHost=null

proxyPort=0

proxyHost=null

proxyPort=0

Loading http://server:7778/forms/java/frmwebutil.jar from JAR cache

RegisterWebUtil - Loading WebUtil Version 1.0.6
                          • 10. Re: WEBUTIL
                            The first thing to fix is the colorScheme applet parameter. In formsweb.cfg on the application server, check this value. A valid entry, copied from my own formsweb.cfg, looks like this. (I cannot recall all the valid colorScheme values -- I know that blue and teal are valid.)
                               # Forms applet parameter
                               colorScheme=blue
                            Correct any suspicious colorScheme values that appear in your formsweb.cfg, and test again.

Eric Adamson
                            Lansing, Michigan
                            • 11. Re: WEBUTIL
                              M_Fighter
                              Thanks for the fast response;

but my colorScheme value is already blue, so what i can do next ?
                              • 12. Re: WEBUTIL
                                There may be more than one copy of this entry. Have you searched the entire file to make sure that all colorScheme entries are correct? Also be sure that you are checking the correct copy of formsweb.cfg -- one will reside on your development PC, and the other will reside on the machine where you have installed the 10gAS Forms & Reports service. It's difficult for me to know which server is running your form.

Eric
                                • 13. Re: WEBUTIL
                                  M_Fighter
                                  Thanks again;

But i'm sure i see the correct formsweb.cfg file.

The main problem faced me that i sucess in config webutil in my development pc and failed to config it in the server.

is there any network configuration to check it ( isa , firewall .... )

:(

Thanks and best weshes;
                                  M. Bardeny
                                  • 14. Re: WEBUTIL
                                    François Degrelle
                                    Hello,

Maybe it could be a corruption in the webutiljini.htm file ?

could you, please, put here the formsweb.cfg section that raise this error ?

Francois
                                    1 2 Previous Next